interesting?

Started by Sharptooh, August 16, 2008, 10:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetooth

Quote from: CobyCopper on August 17, 2008, 09:12:41 AM
It needs a fresh install sans Dell's BS they load on every machine. Just like HP, they load  them up with worthless crap. Other than that, a good antispyware and antivirus will keep a system running well. So many people think Vista's junk, but it's really not. I own and use Vista 64-bit. My laptop, an EeePC 900, runs WinXP. For what I do, this new laptop on such an old platform is plenty. I'm more tempted to upgrade for more storage space than for speed.
tut tut you should not be exploiting holes in the word filters like these! >:(
Midori looks like it won't be as good as microsoft plan to me
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

windhound

They did Sharptooth
Dell /always/, without exception, includes something to restore from.  It was either a restore partition on the harddrive that you can boot into, or it came with disks
Its likely, if they were disks, that they were thrown away with the packaging and instruction manuals.
Again, if you want them Dell will give them to you, for a nominal (~$15) fee.  Give them a call and they will be happy to assist you.

But yeah... all the unnecessary stuff is how Dell and co. keep costs down.  All those crap program creators pay Dell (HP, and so on) to include their trial versions, which means Dell can sell their computers for cheaper.
There's programs out there, I think one was call Dell Decrapifier or some such, that will remove all that stuff in a nice, automated fashion.  

Anyways, I just dont see Midori as being practical.  Again, what if there's no internet connectivity?  You lose access to all your documents?  Will the computer even boot?  It seems to put everyone's eggs into a single basket, IE, Microsoft's servers.  What if they're hacked, do millions of people lose everything?
I'm sure smarter people than me have asked and answered all these questions...  but the article didnt mention any of it, just the baddness of having things stuck on a single machine.
I'll do more research on it later, as it is an interesting project...  it just seems its faults outweight the things it would do well.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gorak

Quote from: windhound on August 17, 2008, 02:24:58 PM
it just seems its faults outweight the things it would do well.

we are talking about a microsoft product here after all, lol
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Gorak on August 17, 2008, 03:12:39 PM
it just seems its faults outweight the things it would do well.

we are talking about a microsoft product here after all, lol

Thought some of you would say that lol, they must have done something right to get where they are though, right?

They did Sharptooth
Dell /always/, without exception, includes something to restore from.  It was either a restore partition on the harddrive that you can boot into, or it came with disks
Its likely, if they were disks, that they were thrown away with the packaging and instruction manuals.
Again, if you want them Dell will give them to you, for a nominal (~$15) fee.  Give them a call and they will be happy to assist you.

But yeah... all the unnecessary stuff is how Dell and co. keep costs down.  All those crap program creators pay Dell (HP, and so on) to include their trial versions, which means Dell can sell their computers for cheaper.
There's programs out there, I think one was call Dell Decrapifier or some such, that will remove all that stuff in a nice, automated fashion.  

I might look up the program, or the disc, I asked my parents if it came with a disc to restore it, but they didn't seem to think so, I'll have to have a look around, I sort of know the answer to this, but if I restore it will it delete everything?