interesting?

Started by Sharptooh, August 16, 2008, 10:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharptooh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7540282.stm

Some people here might find this interesting if they don't already know about it.

Gorak

Microsoft has to go big with this, or they'll be outta business soon
it's a matter of having to restructure your business in order to keep up with developing technology
refuse to change, and you're left behind
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Sharptooh

Yeah it's sort of all or nothing, the make 80% of their profits by selling computers, if this new midori os is a flop then they'll have to seriously downsize.

Quote from: Gorak on August 16, 2008, 02:01:04 PM
it's a matter of having to restructure your business in order to keep up with developing technology
refuse to change, and you're left behind

Words of wisdom  :)

windhound

You know, I dont think people will go for this

Its been a while since I looked at it, but I believe Midori is a step towards software as a service...  Instead of buying the OS, you rent it... as well as any addons you may want

Quote"If you think about how an operating system is loaded ... it's loaded onto a hard disk physically located on that machine."
They want to go against this.
This speaks of a central server that stores everyone's data that can be connected to from any computer...  while it sounds interesting, I dont /want/ MS to have my data.  I'm perfectly fine with my data being tied to a single machine Thats Under My Control.
And what happens when there's no internet to connect to?  No OS?
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Sharptooh

Yeah, it sounded weird to me as well, relying to much on the internet could definitely be a bad thing, like you said no connection no computer, I mean there are even people (although very few) Who use their computer without the internet, just simply for word processing etc.

Quote from: windhound on August 16, 2008, 02:15:02 PM

Well people aren't warming up to vista very well, I guess only time will tell.

And if it is rubbish and I hate it, then I'll just have to switch over to Linux,

taekwondokid42

People aren't warming up to vista because it's slow, and has a lot of errors that slow you down more (some of them have been fixed, others haven't).

It would be a great OS if it were faster and worked the way it was supposed to.

Sharptooh

Quote from: taekwondokid42 on August 16, 2008, 03:49:06 PM
People aren't warming up to vista because it's slow, and has a lot of errors that slow you down more (some of them have been fixed, others haven't).

It would be a great OS if it were faster and worked the way it was supposed to.

Yeah, it looks good form what I've seen, as long as it all works well it should be popular but like you say it has a lot of errors and runs a bit slow, despite this though most people are still switching to vista, my parents wouldn't think of doing anything else (maybe a mac if we had more money), and I'd consider them average people compter wise (well my mum anyway lol)

CobyCopper

Not going to happen. People don't trust corporations--so nobody will trust a major company with all the data they have. There's enough uproar against Google's profiling of its users. The industry's actually slowing down for now. The average user has more than enough power in their computers to do whatever the average person does--internet, email, instant messaging, and simple web games. Until there are more compelling reasons to buy a new computer, many people will let their systems get older. You can't talk to that crowd easily, as Microsoft is finding out. XP was so long lived that the user become comfortable--so Vista or no Vista, the average user still has no reason to replace those old P4 desktops.

taekwondokid42

And, if you don't want to pay for internet, what would you do?

And, the internet is currently far slower than any computer from this decade.

Gorak

Quote from: windhound on August 16, 2008, 02:15:02 PM

Its been a while since I looked at it, but I believe Midori is a step towards software as a service...  Instead of buying the OS, you rent it... as well as any addons you may want

Quote"If you think about how an operating system is loaded ... it's loaded onto a hard disk physically located on that machine."
They want to go against this.
This speaks of a central server that stores everyone's data that can be connected to from any computer...  while it sounds interesting, I dont /want/ MS to have my data.  I'm perfectly fine with my data being tied to a single machine Thats Under My Control.
And what happens when there's no internet to connect to?  No OS?

it's about seriously downsizing the OS so that it can easily be transfered from device to device, with out liscensing issues,
every thing is run off designated virtual machines, specific to certain jobs, and so the core OS is quite small and could potentially run off a pen drive

windhound

Quote from: CobyCopper on August 16, 2008, 07:47:09 PM
Not going to happen. People don't trust corporations--so nobody will trust a major company with all the data they have. There's enough uproar against Google's profiling of its users. The industry's actually slowing down for now. The average user has more than enough power in their computers to do whatever the average person does--internet, email, instant messaging, and simple web games. Until there are more compelling reasons to buy a new computer, many people will let their systems get older. You can't talk to that crowd easily, as Microsoft is finding out. XP was so long lived that the user become comfortable--so Vista or no Vista, the average user still has no reason to replace those old P4 desktops.

See the Dell thread
People will assume that because their PC is slowing down, it must be broken and they need a new one.  Chances are they're infected with malware and all the computer needs is a fresh OS install,  but the avg. joe isnt going to do this, they're going to buy a brand new computer. 

Vista will become the default, just like XP, because everyone uses Windows and they're comfortable with it
Those adventurous will move to OS X, and most that do stay there...  more and more are doing it, though if its enough to make a dent I'm not sure
Most of the avg. joes using linux dont realize they are...  IE, the EEE PC.  It just works.

But eh...  I think if Microsoft forces their "software as a service," people wont be as apt to follow...  they're using Windows because its comfortable, its what they know and love
This change will break all this, and they could lose big if they dont do it right...   The backlash on Vista is massive, they basically released a beta.  I've had the 'avg. joe' tell me that they didnt want Vista because it was 'bad.'  They couldnt say what was bad, but they'd been told it was bad and they didnt want it
Microsoft screwed up and let people get too comfortable on XP, which after two service packs is a rather capable and stable OS...  something Vista is still, a year and a half later, not. 

I very much doubt they can get their act together for Midori.  MS is too big, too clumsy for tight turns

Also...  no.  Its not about averting licensing issues. 
Its about software as a service, they want to be a bill just like your electric bill.  They want to have a steady, reliable income source. 
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gorak

what they want is to stay in business as developing technology is pushing things towards mobility and away from the desktop
and pushing more and more "avg Joe's" from using windows which they are comfortable in favor of simpler user interfaces with mobile hardware, and devices that bring integration of all the fancy gadgets, as well as connectivity to others with the gadgets.
Will Midori work, I have no idea, but they need something, because Windows is fast becoming obsolete and others, such as Macintosh have already started people down this road. (Ipod, Iphone, Itouch, Itactical-nuke, ect.)

The point of Midori is to make a more mobile OS to integrate the use of computers as well as portable devices, on one OS
they might not even release Midori ever, but atleast they are starting to think ahead finally, and trying to come up with ways to stay on top, instead of falling behind while just trying to continue riding the windows gravy train into the ground 

Sharptooh

A fair few people will probably switch over to it as they think that everything will switch over to it, that was my mum's view on vista, some people may still think the same about this new midori operating system, oh it's just an upgrade something better, and anyway what would we switch to anyway, this could happen, as most people I talk to have no idea what Linux is and don't want to switch to a mac, but the amount of people using Linux and Mac's will probably rise significantly.

Quote from: windhound on August 16, 2008, 10:53:47 PM
See the Dell thread
People will assume that because their PC is slowing down, it must be broken and they need a new one.  Chances are they're infected with malware and all the computer needs is a fresh OS install,  but the avg. joe isnt going to do this, they're going to buy a brand new computer. 

That computer was actually pretty slow from day one, you know a lot more about computers than me but I know enough to know that it didn't just need a fresh install.

CobyCopper

It needs a fresh install sans Dell's BS they load on every machine. Just like HP, they load  them up with worthless crap. Other than that, a good antispyware and antivirus will keep a system running well. So many people think Vista's junk, but it's really not. I own and use Vista 64-bit. My laptop, an EeePC 900, runs WinXP. For what I do, this new laptop on such an old platform is plenty. I'm more tempted to upgrade for more storage space than for speed.

Sharptooh

Quote from: CobyCopper on August 17, 2008, 09:12:41 AM
It needs a fresh install sans Dell's BS they load on every machine. Just like HP, they load  them up with worthless crap. Other than that, a good antispyware and antivirus will keep a system running well. So many people think Vista's junk, but it's really not. I own and use Vista 64-bit. My laptop, an EeePC 900, runs WinXP. For what I do, this new laptop on such an old platform is plenty. I'm more tempted to upgrade for more storage space than for speed.

A fresh install would be good but Dell didn't give us anything like that, and I expect the only way to get one would be from microsoft, and then we'd have to pay, I think the hard drive is on the way out anyway.