In-Game Identity

Started by Scarwake, July 05, 2008, 10:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarwake

Why is it that people feel that if you do not reveal your in-game name that you are scared or making noobish mistakes?

None of this is true.  People have reasons they do not tell others their warlord names.  RWL has never been a popular place to reveal your identity in the open-ness of the forums for the entire community to read.  Why would you want to? 
If I choose not to go by a name I normally do then I have a reason behind it.  I like to use new names so that for my own purpose I can learn new things from other people or because I just want to play with nobody knowing who I am.

Not having people know who you are is an advantage over others.  It's much like being in modern warfare or even warfare from the past where the armies would use guerilla tactics to attack...hiding in the trees then springing their trap.  Such is the same at RWL with no revealing your in-game identity.
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Checkerpaw

Amen brother!  I completely agree and I'm one of those people who don't like to reveal my identity.  Hopefully I've done a pretty good job at it so far.
Highest rank in Regular: #6 (August '08)

Highest rank in Turbo: #1 (July  '09) as The NKVD
Highest finish in Turbo: #4 (August '09) as The NKVD

Also played as: Roadkill Collector (June '08) Gotten Smart (July), Mr. Holmes (August), That's What She Said (September)

Shadow

What's your point? I generally stick to Shadow because I can't be bothered to think of something else.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gorak

I always run under a different name
using the same name all the time is boring
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Firetooth

idrc what user I use, sometimes firetooth, sometimes not :P
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Scarwake

My point is...why has it become such a big deal on whether or not someone reveals who they are in-game here on the forums or not?

This is not directed to start an argument but just to point out a simple fact.  Firetooth you are constantly using this as means of calling someone scared or calling them a noob, why?  If you "idrc"(i don't really care) then why do you continuously use this constantly to try to berate people's skills?
Emperor of

In-Character Album

Holby

I've never felt there was an issue in concealing identity. People generally accept it as part of the game, and everyone has done it.

I think you got hit with an isolated incident.
I will not deleted this

Firetooth

Not really, my problem is someone's acting as a noob ingame about a kill they made when they actually knew well they shouldn't have killed, and I hate people fighting me under hidden users.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

CobyCopper

On the other hand--some people like to try some new stuff or use names as jokes. My own names this turbo round were jokes until I settled on my normal name. At other Promisance sites I use different names, to ensure that nobody can quickly tell who I am. As it is, I enjoyed a #3 finish solo on Imperium--though I did end up aiding troops away that were for emperor Shadow without compensation. Other than that, you can get to new highs solo.

Scarwake

Quote from: Holby on July 06, 2008, 04:58:00 AM
I've never felt there was an issue in concealing identity. People generally accept it as part of the game, and everyone has done it.

I think you got hit with an isolated incident.

I've never been someone that's been accused of this.  I've just seen it in several topics through the forum and I thought a nice little discussion should be opened up about it.

Quote from: Firetooth on July 06, 2008, 06:22:04 AM
Not really, my problem is someone's acting as a noob ingame about a kill they made when they actually knew well they shouldn't have killed, and I hate people fighting me under hidden users.

Who is to say that the kill was not a part of their agenda in the strategy?  How do you know that it was indeed their intention?  Who is to say there wasn't a private bounty placed on someone and they accepted and took the bounty?  You cannot simply imply that someone is a noob based on their actions in game.  If that were the case you could have assumed that I was a noob had you not known who I was in-game before I was able to adopt the indy strategy.

Quote from: CobyCopper on July 06, 2008, 11:25:33 AM
On the other hand--some people like to try some new stuff or use names as jokes. My own names this turbo round were jokes until I settled on my normal name. At other Promisance sites I use different names, to ensure that nobody can quickly tell who I am. As it is, I enjoyed a #3 finish solo on Imperium--though I did end up aiding troops away that were for emperor Shadow without compensation. Other than that, you can get to new highs solo.

Indeed,  I believe that part of my ability to learn the indy strat that I learned was in part because at first nobody knew who I was in-game as I used a name I had never used before in my time here at RWL.  In doing so I've been able to make leaps and bounds in the rankings that I've had a hard time keeping up with using my previous market strat.
Emperor of

In-Character Album

Gorak

that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard
this is a war game in which we are in competition against each other
killing is a perfectly fine tactic to eliminate competition
you just have to be prepared for the retaliation

The reasons I'll kill are either clan war, you annoy me, or I was bored
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Shadow

Kills are to make a point to someone who is doing something stupid, changing your name won`t prevent that.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

The Obliterator

Thats prolly why they do it...
Watching people fight is fun...
...but getting involved is so much better

thomaskreisman

hahaha I did that in my seconed round playing, remember how I jumped dinomite and then pippen got mad at me for killing a new player (who just really *pee-ed* me off) and then pippen wouldn't talk to me for a week hahaha that was fun!

Edit:  Inappropriate language.

~Scarwake
~Mod Duties

thomaskreisman

c now that just makes me look stupid but I won't say anything because your on mod duty