The Frozen North

Started by Faerd, April 23, 2008, 11:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjornredtail

The captain was waken by the feeling of an iron blade at his throat. The cat! he though, upon seeing his attacker.

"Don't even think of trying to raise the alarm... Captain, where you have been treading?" the cat asked, very quietly.
"Points eastward, mostly with Northern tribes on the ice and tundra... " the captain replied, desperately thinking of how to get out of this sticky situation. His crossbow and sword were close to his left paw, but in the confined space of the bunk, he would not be able to wield either effectively. His diving knife was a better choice, but going for it would likely get him killed before he could do anything about it. Where is that watch? If I can delay him long enough...
"They don't usually deal in silk, which you ship seems to have plenty of... " the cat responded, then pushing the knife into Redtail's skin slightly, "Where have you really been trading?"
"Ummm Th.. The Fa.. Far East. Mongrel Empire..." Redtail replied, seeming slightly panicked at the cat's threating gesture.   
"While you where there, you acquired some black powder..." the cat began
"Black powder?" the Redtail replied.
"Don't play coy with me! You know what I'm talking about..." the cat replied.
"I'm afraid I do not..." the Redtail continued.
"A substance, when ignited either releases a shower of spikes, or utter distraction on the immediate area. Explorers have been describing the stuff for years, Certainly you saw it in use?" the cat asked.
"I saw lots of things" the captain retorted.
"You'd know if you saw this..." the cat began, when a shout came from the hatch.
"Alarm!"
While the cat was momentarily distracted, the Captain took the opportunity to strike. He seized the cat's blade with his right, while drawing his diving knife with his left. As the cat struggled, ultimately successfully to free his blade, the weasel pulled the knife up to the cat's throat. The almost instantaneous exchange left them in a standoff, with an armed crew assembling all around.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Firetooth

"You son of a rat!" Firetooth yelled, full of prejudice. He was in a stand off, he knew, but he'd been trained for tricky poisitions like this. First of all, what would his opposition most fear? Their captain killed, if he showed them he wasn't scared to do this, they might not have the guts to kill him, knowing what would happen if they didn't.
Then again, there's always the twist-around-punch-the-weasel-in-the-face-grab-the-hostage-in-a-headlock option...
Option one would do for now.
He dug the knife in, letting some blood trickle out "back off, Im a wildcat, I can lose more blood then your captain and survive!" of course this is very unlikely, but it was a clever bluff "make any move and Ill cut his head off and kill you with it!"
Now he had to shake off redtail.

:Dlol
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

bjornredtail

"Just who do you think ya kidding lad? You kill the captain, we take your head clean off, along with anyone ya got ambushing us outside." a sailor replied, blade at the ready.
Redtail grimaced in pain, fighting the urge to just that. He would have to try to negotiate with the would-be spy "He's right, you know. If you kill me, you do not stand a chance of making it to the deck alive. If I were to try to kill you know, you'd see to it that I join you in death. Neither situation is particularly good for either of us... You apparently want something  form me, and I want you off of my ship. How about we make a deal? What do you want? Goods, information? Or are you just here to make my life slightly more difficult?"
AKA, Nevadacow

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Firetooth

"Hmm" firetooth thought for a while, then dug the knife in disturbingly deeper "I want a sample of your black powder, burn the rest, that's a order" he then swizzeled around quickly and grabbed redtail in a headlock, knife pointed at neck. He had the upper hand as he now had guarenteed survival as long as he could hold the lock as he would be able to hold redtail ransom until he was aboard a ship, but he knew if he killed redtail he would have wasted all his work.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

bjornredtail

"Not much for dealing, I see... " Redtail replied, gasping for breath, "Nor am I when I'm put in a position of weakness..."

He sat panting for a moment, then, with an unexpected burst of strength he heaved himself into his bunk, pulling his captor's head into the railing above the bunk. Without pause, he pushed against the side of the ship sending both himself and the cat sprawling onto the floor. Has the weasel had planned, the tip of the cat's elbow hit the floor, weakening, but not breaking the headlock. In the scramble, both had managed to drop their knives, leaving both apparently unarmed. A wild scramble ensued on the floor as Redtail continued to attempt to free himself and the cat struggled to hold on. Two of the crew dropped their weapons to come to the captain's aid, leaving just large enough gap for an agile creature to duck by most of them and make it to the hatch...
AKA, Nevadacow

Firetooth

Firetooth was shocked by the outburst, however, he reacted quickly, kicking out, sending one of the two crew flying away, they then hit the wall with a sickening thud.
The other creature was gaining, firetooth realised he had to keep control of redtail but fend this creature off, it dawned on im. He tightened his grip on redtail then swung them around, slamming them into the other creature, then retained the headlock. He'd won, but he was weaking and tiring, how much longer could he keep this up. His elbow cained and an old wound had re-opened.
"I can keep this up all day!" he lied "now show me the black powder and no-one else gets hurt!"

bjornredtail

The weasel considered ordering the crew to simply kill his 'guest'... but there was much he needed to know. "Very well... I'll have someone place a keg of powder out on the ice and grant you free passage. In exchange, I want information. Who are you, really? What are you doing here? Why our ship?" he offered.
AKA, Nevadacow

Firetooth

"I tipped off by a stoat, burly fellow, in a pub. He told me 'Up north, in 2weeks time a ship captained by a captain, redtail I think his name is, will set sail. They're looking for black powder.'
"Of course, Im not in this for money. I want black powder and the rest of your's destroyed, you want your captain back, agreed? As for who I am, I am firetooth, however my past is too secret to reveal. Lets say I work 'higher ranked' then a navy captain..."

bjornredtail

For the first time in a while, Redtail was truly worried. "We have been set up! But, by who... or whom? Elements of the royal family who objected to the arrangement from the start? Pirates looking for a bit more firepower? A foreign power attempting to secure an alliance by preventing the union from going forward?" he though, "Assuming what he says is accurate, of course..."

"Very well... Mr. Longam, please have a crewbeast take two kegs of powder from stores... Have one placed on the ice two hundred yards from the rear of the ship. Have the other readied for use. Have two armed guards accompany Firetooth and myself to the deck, and have the rest of the crew assemble on deck with ice cutting tools." the weasel ordered his first mate. Addressing Firetooth,  he said, "This arrangement is most uncomfortable... And climbing onto deck will be rather difficult while you keep me in this headlock. There is a broadsword in my bunk... You may use it to continue to hold me hostage while allowing us to move about more freely. Be advised though, I very much want it back before you go..."
AKA, Nevadacow

Firetooth

"Hmmm" Firetooth thought, then said "ok, agreed, make a move and Ill spill your insides over the floor" he grabbed the sword, then let go with one hand, but kept a grip on redtail to stop him from running away. "Now, take me to your life boats"

bjornredtail

"A boat? That was not part of our deal... You walked up to this ship, you will be walking away." Redtail replied, as he climbed a short ship's ladder with Firetooth at tail. "Besides, what good would a boat do you out here?" he continued, gesturing out over the vast expanse of ice.

The first rays of sunlight flickered over the horizon revealing a clear day. Ice surrounded the ship, as the pressure ridge that they had hit extended as far to the west and east as the eye could see. To the south, the sun silhouetted a snowy hill, where trees could be spotted in the few sheltered parts. To the east the gray rock cast a shadow to the horizon, far to the north. The north was nothing but a vast sheet of ice, with a lone crewbeast returning from a small keg had been placed.

"Drill a borehole directly below the keel of the Lady Jacqueline and one a couple of yards from either side the ship. Fill each with the powder from this keg" Redtail ordered, indicating the keg Firetooth had ordered destroyed.

(OOC: It's a new day... Any word from the encampment? From the Fox I took aboard? From the attacking force on land? We should be able to see each other soon... )
AKA, Nevadacow

Firetooth

"You're in no position to negotiaite!" firetooth yelled, shoving redtail then pointing the sword at his throat. "None of you cowards have the guts to stab me while I have my sword here, unless you promise me a ship, Ill spill your throat over this floor!"
In the distance, firetooth could hear lightning and thunder, but shrugged it off. He could pay attention to the weather after he'd got away and alerted the brotherhood.

bjornredtail

"Need I remind you that if you kill me you will loose any power that you currently hold... Very well, I'll go ahead and give my personal dingy. I simply don't have time to deal with your half baked attempts at piracy..." the Redtail replied to Firetooth,  "Mr Vernan, throw my dingy off the stern."

"Yes captain" the crewbeast replied amidst the sound of chopping ice. Below that he heard a low rumble, almost like a thunderstorm. "What is that... Is the ice breaking up?" Redtail though. The clatter of a wooden rowboat hitting the also hit Redtail's ears. "I have fulfilled my part of the deal, it is time you fulfill yours. Mr. Longam, are we ready to fire the charges?"

The first mate turned from supervising the work under the ship... "Yes captain. Shall I give the order?"

"Yes Mr. Longam" Redtail replied, as he turned back to Firetooth, "I would advise you to return my weapon and get off my ship..."
AKA, Nevadacow

Firetooth

Firetooth banged redtails head onto the side of the boat "you owe me my power, give me some, Im not that thick" He drew breath "Also, dont try any backstabings now, you'll just end up with your head on the floor"

bjornredtail

"Well then... You best hit the deck." Redtail replied..
"Wait, what?" Firetooth asked.

Before any further conservation, a loud explosion occured directly under the ship, causing the whole lot to lurch into the air a bit further, when two other explosions on either side showered the ship with ice as the prow fell. Taking advantage of the chaos, Redtail tackled Firetooth, wrestling the sword away from stunned wildcat. "We are done here cat, take your boat, collect your powder out there and don't even think of turning back towards us" the captain declared, standing between Firetooth and the prow of the ship.
AKA, Nevadacow