0 (0%)
Orchestral Pianists/Organists
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 14

bjornredtail

0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Peace Alliance

Violinists for sure. And by both sections you mean all 3. We're the largest group, and we have bows. Bows = ranged weapon, and the only one in the group. Also, we have the most passion (studies say).

Furthermore, a violin section spends a LOT of time working together to make sure everyone is together... Team work ftw! We'd be all organized and stuff.

Yes, i immediately assumed by win you meant destroy the other team. Because unless the thing we're competing against is the ability to die quickly, eliminating the opposition would gain us the win for sure!

bjornredtail

Are you counting the concertmaster/mistress as a section? Typical violinist egotism... My section, the cellos, will not underestimate the competition. We will also forge key alliances with the bassists and violists, thus dominating the conductor's entire right side. From this position of strategic and tactical advantage, we can use our superior dynamic range to launch stealth attacks on the other sections.
AKA, Nevadacow

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Peace Alliance

Violinists ally only with those who can accompany them. Pianists, mostly, but any rhythm section as well.

Gen. Volkov

The tuba players would own you all. First, they tend to be big fellows, because they carry around about 40 pounds of metal all the time, and two, they have the most lethal of the weapons available. The violin bow is not an effective weapon for ranged attacks. The tuba makes and extremely effective club though.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

pippin the mighty

Peace Alliance

You would want to heft around a 40 pound tuba? I don't deny that 1 on 1 i mightn't have a chance against a tuba player. But you have like 2 tuba's max, and often they're replaced with other similar, smaller instruments.

Also, i don't think they are inherently large people. In my experience, small people LOVE to play big instruments. Personally I appreciate it when they do, it's always rather humorous.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteAlso, i don't think they are inherently large people. In my experience, small people LOVE to play big instruments. Personally I appreciate it when they do, it's always rather humorous.

Most of the Tuba players I know are fairly large people. I suppose in a symphony though, you're right about the numbers thing. But they could team up with the trombones if they had too.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Peace Alliance

Trombones are in a constant feud with the trumpets, because the trombones whack them in the heads with their pully mcdoodles, and the trumpets throw mutes at them.

Gen. Volkov

Perfect allies for the Tubas then. For with the tubas, the trombones can defeat the wimpy trumpets and dominate the brass section. LOL.

One thought though. Flautists generally make up a large percentage of a band or symphony, so they might win out through sheer numbers.

bjornredtail

Nahh... Every symphony I've ever played with has at most 4 flutes. The violinists have the numbers advantage here... But, they cannot top our peak volume, dynamic range and the unity of the lower strings, let alone within my own section.
AKA, Nevadacow

Shadow

A single piccolo can own an entire orchestra over small distances.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

The Obliterator

No trumpets would own all with there ability to play high notes that would crack all the pther peoples heads. :D

P.S. i play the trumpet
Watching people fight is fun...
...but getting involved is so much better

Peace Alliance

Trumpets win for volume, that is for sure. However, instruments like violins or any other in that range (especially flutes) are closer to the 2200(i forget if thats the exact number) frequency, which is the loudest frequency to human ears, it's also the frequency most infants make when crying. In terms of the loudest pitch thats the range that has it.

bjornredtail

In terms of Dynamic range (difference from loud to soft), lower strings are at a distinct advantage. Viola, Cello and Bass are nos 1, 2, and 3 in the orchestra respectively. The Cello is louder than the Viola and is in a frequency range that is more easily heard then the bass (though perhaps not as easily heard as the Violins').

Plus, We have Dvorak Op. 104 (Concerto in B minor) and the Elgar Cello Concerto. And the 6 Bach Cello Suites.. And Rocco Variations And... etc.

(Though, something makes me think I'm going to regret bringing up repertoire with a Violinist present...) 
AKA, Nevadacow