CARS!

Started by Firetooth, November 22, 2007, 12:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following car type would you rather own?

Ferrari
3 (13%)
Mazarati
0 (0%)
Pagani
0 (0%)
Lamborghini
6 (26.1%)
Porsche
0 (0%)
renault
0 (0%)
b.m.w
2 (8.7%)
peugot
0 (0%)
v.w
1 (4.3%)
a chees puff mobile
1 (4.3%)
a mini
0 (0%)
a volvo
0 (0%)
bugatti
4 (17.4%)
citreon
0 (0%)
any others
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Gen. Volkov

Well, there is already a car out that that's faster than the Bugatti. But those are just production vehicles. I could build a car that's considerably faster than either of them, if I had the time and money. The McLaren F1 was the fastest production vehicle ever built, but is no longer. It's still an incredibly fast vehicle, and way cooler looking than the Bugatti, though I think the current record holder, the SSC Ultimate Aero TT is also a pretty sweet looking car.

But if I wanted a truly insanely fast car, I'd build a jet car, and go break the sound barrier. There is no car ever built with an internal combustion engine that even approaches those speeds.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Martin the warrior

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on May 22, 2008, 10:42:25 PM
There is no car ever built with an internal combustion engine that even approaches those speeds.
Not yet at least...
Who thinks that I am dead
Knows naught at all.
I-- am that is.
Two mice within Redwall.
The Warrior sleeps twixt Hall and Cavern Hole.
I-- am that is.
Take on my mighty role.

thomaskreisman

I wana know what idiot would rather have a a cheese puff mobile then a awesome cool Ferrari? 

Saladin

Quote from: thomaskreisman on May 25, 2008, 11:06:00 PM
I wana know what idiot would rather have a a cheese puff mobile then a awesome cool Ferrari? 

ME! :D
Starfish love you

Gen. Volkov

QuoteNot yet at least...

Um yes, that's rather implied in the sentence. However, I doubt it will ever or can ever be done. The drive shaft would just seize up.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Firetooth

Drag racer's are faster, but they're not really cars...
F1 CARS ARE! THEY EVEN TURN!
But they're not legal to drive on roads...
humph.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

thomaskreisman

Ferrari!!!!!!

ya!!!!!!!!!

Gorak

Quote from: Martin the warrior on May 22, 2008, 06:11:06 PM
yah the bugatti has 9 (or 7 i forgot) radiators...lol lots of engine coolant.

I believe it is 9
to cool it's 16 cylinder engine with it's 4 turbo chargers, making 1001 BHP
it can also burn through a full tank of gas in under 20min
it's also smooth and stable at 250+MPH unlike the MacLaren F1, which was twitchy

but the SSC Ultimate Aero is faster, with it's 1100+ BHP
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteDrag racer's are faster, but they're not really cars...

They are too cars, just highly specialized to go from 0 to 300 in 4 seconds. Well, the top fuel drag cars anyway, aka "rail cars".

F1 CARS ARE! THEY EVEN TURN!

F1 cars and Indy Racing league cars are stupid fast, but in practice, the Bugatti and SSC Ultimate Aero are faster. And actually, F1 cars are slower than IRL cars. This is more because of track limitations though. Top speed ever recorded for an F1 car was 257 MPH, but that was not official and not under normal track conditions, the fastest on track speed was 229 MPH. The fastest Indy car track speed ever recorded was 257 MPH, I can't find anything on non-track speeds, but Indy cars run at higher track speeds in general than F1 cars. The average track speed for F1 is about 186 MPH, the average track speed for IRL cars is in the mid 230's.

But they're not legal to drive on roads...
humph.

Indeed. Neither are jet cars, which are still about 3 times faster than any racing car ever. The fastest an internal combustion engine powered car has ever achieved was 409 MPH. Which is still about twice as slow as the current land speed record holder.

Gorak

technically, a turbine engine is still an internal combustion engine
I think you mean 409 was the fastest piston engined speed record

Firetooth

I've found something which can easy go 2000mph and is legal to drive!

:o
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Gen. Volkov

Quotetechnically, a turbine engine is still an internal combustion engine
I think you mean 409 was the fastest piston engined speed record

Yes, technically, it is, but they operate so much differently from a pistion engine that you don't generally think of them as such. Especially when you throw afterburners into the mix. But what I meant was that 409 MPH was the fastest speed ever achieved with a piston engined car.

Gorak

wonder if thats actually the fastest for all axle driven cars?
have to look into that record

Firetooth

Gen. Volkov

Quotewonder if thats actually the fastest for all axle driven cars?
have to look into that record

You mean like engine connected to drive axle, not just a couple jets strapped on to a set of free-spinning wheels? I think that's the case.