Duels

Started by Orcrist, November 04, 2007, 08:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcrist

I remember way back when, we used to have a duel server, with like 2 teams going at it. That was very fun. So, now that we seem to have a good bit of active players, can we make one of those again? Or is one already going on?
~Orcrist~

"We will win the war...it is a simple case of mathematics." -Samuel Grant

The Lady Shael

We had one several months ago, when we first moved to this new server. It was actually pretty awesome, we staff members really put a lot of thought into it. It was Redwall-themed (Stormclaw vs. Gloomer), and we had a new army type (sea serpent) and a bunch of other stuff. It didn't actually last as long as we had hoped (due to some code errors, and we hadn't made the emperor accounts large enough), but it was still fun.

You just missed the storehouse round, which was kind of like a three-clan duel.

If we have another duels, it'll probably be something big, and Redwall-themed like the Battle for Mossflower River.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

pippin the mighty

That sounds kool, ive only read like 2 of the redwall books as i can never find them, am i just dum and blind or are they never out anymore?

The Lady Shael

Oh, they're definitely still out there...my library even had them all out on display, which surprised me.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

pippin the mighty

Yh thats kool, wait no its not im dum and blind, o god please help me. And thats koolio you have your own libary. i wis i had my own, no what am i saying i have. But its like 3 blocks away...

Shadow

i would really enjoy a forced clan round again

i still want to try my idea where if you kill someone they switch teams :-P
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

easily abused idea Shadow...  somone decides they want to be on the other side so they drop all their land but one acre and has somone kill them

I would like to see a randomized team setter myself, rather than the current alternating system
not sure the best way to do it easily and fairly though...
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

All I remember is that my side got loaded with talent who knew what they were doing and won pretty easily.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

kell

we could have rankings before we start the duels round where the top players are split evenly this time
founder of eire

first emp on the new server

White Fang

That duels round /was/ pretty crazy...I think we ended up with every single big name playing at the time, barring maybe one person (can't recall exactly).

On a slightly-related note, I think any round that's based upon happenings in the books would be just plain awesome.

Shadow

easily remedied - no land dropping for the round, and only 1 kill per day per side
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

Still exploitable Shadow...  but if somone doesnt want to be on their team there's no way to force them to be fair.  Fortunatly I dont think thats normally an issue for our players

I think it would be interesting to have the clans assigned by the results of the previous round.  Given everyone uses the same email everytime, shael could grab the list before the reset, or just copy it to a new row in the database, and have it assign teams as people leave protection
An option with this is to assign a number based on rank, like rank one is worth 20 points, rank two 16, rank three 12, rank four 8, rank five 5, rank 6 3 and so on, maybe with a higher starting number..   but have the game assign teams based on a point system.  This could produce some visually unequal teams number wise, but if the point system is done carefully it could make for equal teams talent-wise...
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

Maybe windy, though since not everyone joins at the same time, and not everyone gets the chance to make a last run, going by the rankings at the end of the set may not be the best method.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

windhound

the time people join doesnt matter in this case volkov
the game would keep a running total for each team, and assign the newest player to the team with the lowest number

What other list is there that lists players by ability other than the scores page?  Yes, the top ten isnt an ideal indicator, but its fairly close...  unless you want to go make a list ofcourse

another alternative is to use a flat point system
each player that joins counts as 1, and the game randomly creates the teams
if a team has more than three points diffence the lower team gets the next player.  It would allow some randomness, but keep the teams equal by not allowing one to get too many extra.  Really, a random distrobution should end up roughly 50/50, but that shouldnt be relied on...

Gen. Volkov

Well I think it should just be a random type deal. Teams just sorted by equal numbers. I know it gives a greater chance for one side to be loaded with talent, but I think it makes it more interesting.