This is a discussion for really fast or warped things

Started by Holby, November 01, 2007, 02:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

Quotetheres a youtube vid somewhere of a 2500 horsepower bike

Heresay. If it exists, it's a drag bike, guaranteed.

Quotei havent seen it personally though

Anecdotes aren't fact.

Quoteand for the record, i never lie

That's right, you just prevaricate.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Shadow

yeesh take it easy, of course im not serious about 0-60 in 1.3 using my arms

as for the bike, a friend says he's seen it so yes, its hearsay

you take things too seriously...
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

pippin the mighty

yh well ya should be =) you know you could try and do it anyway? who knows what you can do

windhound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2WdcKNZW8w
http://www.killacycle.com/

...yes, drag bike
but electric drag bike, that has 350HP
apparently 0-60 in under a second.  it could beat a cheetah
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

Quoteyeesh take it easy, of course im not serious about 0-60 in 1.3 using my arms

LOL, I know. I just wanted you to admit it.

Quoteas for the bike, a friend says he's seen it so yes, its hearsay

Mmk.

Quoteyou take things too seriously...

Depends on my mood.

Indeed it could windy, but it's still a drag bike. I'm talking stuff that has not been optimized to get up to 2 or 3 hundred miles an hour in a quarter of a mile. I mean the top fuel rail cars do 0-100 in .8 seconds, but they can only do it once. Then the engines have to be rebuilt and the clutch replaced. It's not really a fair comparison, given that cheetahs are pulling that kind of acceleration throughout their whole lives.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

windhound

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on November 05, 2007, 02:21:22 PM
Indeed it could windy, but it's still a drag bike. I'm talking stuff that has not been optimized to get up to 2 or 3 hundred miles an hour in a quarter of a mile. I mean the top fuel rail cars do 0-100 in .8 seconds, but they can only do it once. Then the engines have to be rebuilt and the clutch replaced. It's not really a fair comparison, given that cheetahs are pulling that kind of acceleration throughout their whole lives.

Ah, but then your objection breaks at the electric stuff
There's not much to them.  Not to say they're simple, but there's not much to break.  Batteries.  Electric motor.  Computer equipment, I think that one is monitored by a palmpilot.  I dont think they have to repair that every time, just recharge the battery (and tires?  it looks like they burn off quite a bit)
But recharging the battery just equates to taking a nap
the Killcycle goes very quick for a short amount of time, just like a cheetah
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

QuoteAh, but then your objection breaks at the electric stuff
There's not much to them.  Not to say they're simple, but there's not much to break.  Batteries.  Electric motor.  Computer equipment, I think that one is monitored by a palmpilot.  I dont think they have to repair that every time, just recharge the battery (and tires?  it looks like they burn off quite a bit)

Probably the electric motors burn out fairly quickly as well. If you are putting that much power through an electric motor, it will burn out in fairly short order.

QuoteBut recharging the battery just equates to taking a nap
the Killcycle goes very quick for a short amount of time, just like a cheetah

It's still a drag bike. It's specifically engineered to go from 0 to very fast in a short amount of time. It's not made to last, it doesn't have any restrictions on it other than the constraints of using electricity.

windhound

You havnt played with electric motors much have you?
They're fairly amazing, and they last for a long time
I know with Dremels (electric multi-tool) you can replace the brushes and it gets new life.  Dremels, for the size of the motor, are made to be put under heavy strain
I'm not sure how the newish brushless motors work, but they're supposed to be quite good as well

I mean.  GM has an electric car they're planning to mass producing in 2010 or so.   The EV1 was produced in limited numbers and driven on the roads.  That simply wouldnt work if the electric motors had to be replaced every few thousand miles.  Stopping and starting puts a ton of strain on an engine.  Nope.  As is its the batteries that limit electric vehicals right now, and they're getting much better.
A dragster goes a very limited distance, and electric motors are very good at pick-up-and-go. 

The cheetah's sprints are short bursts of speed.
ditto for the drag bike

Because the bike is a personal project I can pretty much garuntee the thing was made to last.  Its not cheap crud thats produced in the millions, its a one of a kind bike that will probably out last us all. 
If you're going to throw that much of yourself into a project then you're going to want your project to last.  Again, there's not much to break on this bike

Gen. Volkov

QuoteYou havnt played with electric motors much have you?
They're fairly amazing, and they last for a long time
I know with Dremels (electric multi-tool) you can replace the brushes and it gets new life.  Dremels, for the size of the motor, are made to be put under heavy strain
I'm not sure how the newish brushless motors work, but they're supposed to be quite good as well
]

No, not alot, I'll admit that.

I mean.  GM has an electric car they're planning to mass producing in 2010 or so.   The EV1 was produced in limited numbers and driven on the roads.  That simply wouldnt work if the electric motors had to be replaced every few thousand miles.  Stopping and starting puts a ton of strain on an engine.  Nope.  As is its the batteries that limit electric vehicals right now, and they're getting much better.
A dragster goes a very limited distance, and electric motors are very good at pick-up-and-go. 

Well, excuse me for thinking that there might be a SLIGHT difference between an electric dragster that tops out at 155 MPH and an electric car that averages about 30 MPH. I know stopping and starting puts alot of strain on an engine, but I'm willing to put cold hard cash down on a bet that going 0-155MPH in 8 seconds puts a hell of a lot more strain on an engine. The dragster has a lot of batteries. I'm betting the engines burn out every 6th or 7th trip to the drag strip. Electric engines on vehicles do last a long time, under normal conditions. The drag strip is about as far outside normal conditions as you can get.

The cheetah's sprints are short bursts of speed.
ditto for the drag bike

The cheetah doesn't get to be torn down, inspected, and then rebuilt if necessary between every run though. It takes a hell of a lot more outside care and upkeep to keep a drag bike running than it does a cheetah. All a cheetah has to do is catch something about every 5th hunt and it's good for years. They don't get muscles repaired or replaced, or upgrades in the same way drag vehicles do. It's just not a fair comparison. Now compare the cheetah to a high end sports car, something that is made to last for years with minimal upkeep and still deliver high performance, that's a fair comparison. And the cheetah out-accelerates every single sports car I know of. Ferrari's do 0-60 in about 3-4 seconds, which is still slower than a Cheetah. The high end sports motorcycles do 0-60 in about 2-3 seconds, which is also slower than a cheetah.

QuoteBecause the bike is a personal project I can pretty much garuntee the thing was made to last.  Its not cheap crud thats produced in the millions, its a one of a kind bike that will probably out last us all.
If you're going to throw that much of yourself into a project then you're going to want your project to last.  Again, there's not much to break on this bike

It doesn't really matter how high quality it is. All drag racing vehicles are high quality one of kind products. But the huge stresses you put on something that goes that fast just makes things break. Drag racing vehicles are built to last, but they still break.

Arguia Zsah