Races... [What The Ferret]?!

Started by Gorak, July 07, 2007, 06:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorak

who balanced them, and were they on crack at the time?

holy crap! compare painted one to wildcat!

whats the reasoning for the racial bonus's
they don't seem balanced at all!

also, I noticed there is no farmer race anymore
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Peace Alliance

Wolf is just as powerful for farming. Also, lizard is a good race to farm with indy.

Painted one is designed to have no bonuses or deductions. It's like a race thats a clean slate.

The races are designed to fit the strategies that each race has been designed to excel at. Of course, this is always a sliding scale kind of thing, and adjustments will be made as time goes on. But don't base your entire opinion of the strength of the races based on what the numbers add up to, not everything on that list of race stats is of equal value in the game, and not everything comes out to equal value when you factor in the way each strategy works.

Any other specific questions?

Gorak

there is always a race with no bonus's or penalties, like painted one,
but then you threw in wildcat, with all bonus's and no penalties, which kind of defeats the purpose of painted one.
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

White Fang

EDIT: Got it backwards...yeah, wildcat has only one little -10%.

Oh, but how is Wolf a good race for farming when they get -30% to foraging and +40% to food?

Shadow

the mission give a 5% feasting bonus to you and a 2% bonus to clanmates
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Alazar is Back

Quote from: Shadow on July 08, 2007, 03:32:32 PM

wat does that mean.....speak english!  :-P
Turbo Highest Rank:Co-Emperor with Wolf Snare, Emperor

One of the most underrated players at RWL..

The Lady Shael

It is plain English.  :-P He means the wolf's special ability (Enrichment) allows the user to gain 5% more food everytime he feasts, and his clanmates gain 2% more food everytime they feast.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Alazar is Back

ohhhhh, ok thanks shael, sometimes im a bit slow, that was pretty late last night!

taekwondokid42

Quote from: Shadow on July 08, 2007, 03:32:32 PM

That doesn't appear very strong to me.

I think those #s should probably be doubled.
The only way they'd be of any use would be if there was an entire clan of completely peaceful feasters.

And with the # of ppl that are playing, that'd be practically the whole game.

Alazar is Back

Yeah i think it would be beneficial to the game to maybe put it at 10% and 5%, not overly large but still a little bit more than before. :wink:

taekwondokid42

My idea on all race bonuses:

rat: massive indy race.

They build fast, they get troops fast, they get an incredible merc bonus (btw, change it to green not red, -40% is a good thing). Low costs is also red, but I'm pretty sure it should be green. Lots of cash flow. Low food, but easily made up for by the 80% troop income bonus. The battlefield healers is an okay special.

Painted one: clean slate, however, most of the other races have many more pluses than minuses. Perhaps everything should be 20% positive. The frenzy spell is okay, but come on, how many ppl use suprise attacks?

Stoat: Some pluses, makes it okay at every thing. Very few minuses. The academy spell is extremely powerful, and is what makes the stoat as good as it is.

Fox: Lots of minuses, and the pluses aren't even that great. The cloak spell is okay, however, it does not make up for the poor bonuses

Wildcat: A well balanced race, 3 minor minuses, many minor plusses. The pressgang spell is nearly useless, because of loyalty lacks. For the pressgang to be better, wildcat needs better loyalty.

Lizard: a highly defensive race, good for if you don't want to participate in the attacking part of the game. Is has some minuses, and is not that great of a race. the fortify spell is okay, but 10% will generaly not make much of a diference from attackers, and with such a defensive race, good luck sustaining a massive army.

Wolf: many minuses, not many plusses, overall a very weak race. The enrich spell is incredibly weak, seeing as being in a clan of 13 wolves, all using enrich, you would still only have a +25% bonus. Seeing as they start with -40 food, and -30 foraging, painted one would do better.

Marten: equal minuses and plusses, the goldmine spell is useless when compared side-by-side with the stoat academy function.

I see lots of room for improvment with the races. I would also say that on regular, the race bonuses should try to even out with a painted one with 0 everything, and on turbo the races should try to keep even with the painted one with +25 everything.

Those are just my opinions.

I made this post earlier, but here it is again.

Alazar is Back

I think your a bit confused in some areas such as:

Stoats:The academy spell is not what makes it so powerful, its the strong leader bonuses that make it so powerful!

Wolf: Wolf is not overall a very weak race, it is still a really good race if you run a leader strat it now comes in 2nd but definetly not a very weak race!!!

Marten:The marten can compete with these other races in making money, but it is not notally useless though it lacks the loyalty to make it alot better!

Gen. Volkov

Taek, you are seriously overestimating the power of academy. Yes it gives a lot more leaders, and much better ratio, but in the current game, building up to the required ratio takes so long that it's virtually worthless and you'd be better off spending your turns just looting. If the attack system changes, academy will become much better, but it's still not a game breaker. The turns required to get the extra leaders eat into either loyalty production or looting turns, on top of that, the extra leaders just don't give enough extra cash to offset the expense of making them. The leader and loyalty bonus is the big helping factor for stoat right now.

Wolf has a loyalty bonus, making it an extremely effective leader race, which is essentially all this game consists of at the moment.

Marten Goldmine has increased in power, it's only drawback is that right now getting the required ratio for it is even harder than getting the one for academy. If the attack system changes, you'll see Martens start to dominate as they keep their land and can sustain the ratio they need for Goldmine.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

taekwondokid42

actually, since the generals hut is based of leaders/hut, not leaders/land, you can just demolish huts, academy, build huts, academy, ect.

It takes 70 turns to quintuple your leaders, and that may seem like a lot, but then you have an unstoppable ratio for the rest of your run.

to become unstoppable by any other race should take more than 70 turns, it should take like 100-150.

And because of building, getting 5 per turn would not make it take 140 turns to execute. (unless you kept running out of loyalty...)

In short
Stoat Academy=way to powerful

Gen. Volkov

You can only ever have a 175 ratio in your huts. Once you go over that, you lose leaders. It doesn't matter how you work the land or the turns. You cannot quintuple them, the most you can do is gain 75% more. The reason stoat is powerful is completely different from what you are saying.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES