Fox

Started by Peace Alliance, September 29, 2006, 05:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Now the fox has been out for a while, and was hailed as the ultimate emp takedown race because it could drop in ranks after taking land and force the emp to take desertions because of the net difference. However, apparently desertions are calculated using the true net of the race, so the fox is now simply an underpowered leader race who can hide his true net, and is no better for emp takedown than any other race. Probably worse in fact, since it has no real specialty other than the cloaking.

This is not to say that fox does not have it's uses, as a storehouse for a clan, say. A rank 20 emp would be the funniest thing to have happened to this game in ages, and there are plenty of uses that have not been tried yet, according to Peace. However, I believe I heard somewhere that the original idea of the race was emp takedowns (I think Windy talked about this earlier, which was why I was so surprised when I heard that true net was used for desertion calculation), so perhaps desertions should be something to be looked at with this race when we have a bit more time for development of ingame features.

I looked around for Windy's discussion but couldn't find it. If someone could link it here that would be great
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Peace Alliance

The true purpose of the fox is to be sneaky.

Of course, it would be wonderful for emp take down as well. The issue would be we'd have to somehow program it so opponents get desertions, but foxes didn't... Or maybe the fox would just have to uncloak every time he attacks... hmmm

Shadow

Quote from: Peace Alliance on January 25, 2008, 12:43:32 PM
The true purpose of the fox is to be sneaky.

Of course, it would be wonderful for emp take down as well. The issue would be we'd have to somehow program it so opponents get desertions, but foxes didn't... Or maybe the fox would just have to uncloak every time he attacks... hmmm

You could make cloak more effective so that you need less turns to make the necessary drop and put a cap on it so that cloaking and uncloaking in the same run would be viable. I think if opponents are going to take desertions for attacking low, the fox should take desertions for attacking high as well or else it becomes overpowered.

lonewolf1817

or maybe give them the special power of being able to attack without a desertion penalty
When you have done soemthing right, no one will know you have done anything at all

lonewolf1817

it wopuld be nice to have a race that had a good balnce between indy and stoat.... it would let ppl choise to not just stick with one strat, and the downfall evening it out would be that they dont have the full massing power of eitehr one.
When you have done soemthing right, no one will know you have done anything at all

Shadow

Quote from: lonewolf1817 on January 26, 2008, 03:25:14 AM
or maybe give them the special power of being able to attack without a desertion penalty

That would give fox 2 special abilities, so no.

Quoteit wopuld be nice to have a race that had a good balnce between indy and stoat.... it would let ppl choise to not just stick with one strat, and the downfall evening it out would be that they dont have the full massing power of eitehr one.

stoat is actually a pretty effective indier. In the half land theme I used a hybrid indy/feast strat for a while, that actually stayed competitive for most of the round.

Peace Alliance

Quoteit wopuld be nice to have a race that had a good balnce between indy and stoat.... it would let ppl choise to not just stick with one strat, and the downfall evening it out would be that they dont have the full massing power of eitehr one.

stoat is actually a pretty effective indier. In the half land theme I used a hybrid indy/feast strat for a while, that actually stayed competitive for most of the round.
[/quote]

Wildcat is exactly that, lonewolf. Also painted one, although painted one is the middle ground of all the races

lonewolf1817

ya but i dont feel either of them are strong enough... middle ground players doing a hybrid i feel should have a better spechal ability.

Peace Alliance

i guess you weren't here a few months ago when i was a wildcat on turbo?

Shadow

Quote from: lonewolf1817 on January 26, 2008, 02:19:09 PM
ya but i dont feel either of them are strong enough... middle ground players doing a hybrid i feel should have a better spechal ability.

Peace did pretty well, and hybrid players are usually left behind specialized players, although their defence is much better than either...

Alazar is Back

Quote from: Shadow on January 26, 2008, 11:45:30 PM
Peace did pretty well, and hybrid players are usually left behind specialized players, although their defence is much better than either...

Actually when im a stoat i run a hybrid, much like windy's. I have never built 100%huts always gave an extra 5-10% to barracks and it seems to work fine for me i stay competitive with the rest of the players.
Turbo Highest Rank:Co-Emperor with Wolf Snare, Emperor

One of the most underrated players at RWL..

Shadow

The problem with that is that having an army while feasting reduces the amount of food you get. It worked for the half land theme as a way to stay green while massing rats, but in normal gameplay it's not a good plan.

Alazar is Back

Heh, its not the best strat but its the way i like to play the game, i dont always play to win, i play for enjoyment.
Turbo Highest Rank:Co-Emperor with Wolf Snare, Emperor

One of the most underrated players at RWL..