Happy Easter!

Started by Aqualis, April 16, 2006, 08:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naltaca

Ever heard of the Easter Bunny? And easter eggs?
COOL STORY BRO

Peace Alliance

I have a lvl 41 tauren druid. he didn't invent easter

Naltaca

It's likely more of a night elf thing, peace.
COOL STORY BRO

Ruddertail

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on April 17, 2006, 07:49:50 PM
Bah. Happy celebration co-opted from the Druids in order to steal worshippers. You know what eggs represent? Fertility. The rabbit too. The Easter you all celebrate is a Druidic fertility rite. Then the Christians syncreted it into their religion so they could get more worshippers in Rome. Syncretism is stealing practices and holidays from other religions and making them your own.

No, not really. While the church did adopt pagan practices, the idea was to make the transition to Christianity easier for people. They simpley had to change their beliefs, not their whole way of living. Essentially the same as if everyone in America changed to some religion. The people in charge of that religion might chose to not force Americans to give up Christmas and Easter and going to church on Sundays, even though Americans changed their beliefs.

Or maybe I'm wrong. I don't know, that does sound like the kind of thing the Catholic church would have done back in the Middle Ages... somewhere in there, they started acting more like a government then a Chruch, and measured success in the number of people confessing a belief in Christ, not taking into account the fact that putting a sword to somebody's throat may get them to agree with you, but it won't change the way they think, or anything...
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Peace Alliance

Your right naltaca, those night elves screw everything up

Naltaca

... not the lady night elves. Especially if they're actually ladies.
COOL STORY BRO

Gen. Volkov

Then you are ignorant, stupid, or both, josh. The day you celebrate as the day Jesus came back from the dead has nothing to do with the actual day of his resurrection, if it actually occured. The day you all celebrate as Easter has ancient roots as a spring fertility rite. Look it up.

Yup Rudder, you hit it right on the nose, this was a Catholic invention. As was Christmas.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Naltaca

Woot for Volkov... telling it like it is. Good job.
COOL STORY BRO

cloud

crazy hethan idol worshipers...
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Gen. Volkov

Of which you are one. What the heck do you think the cross is? Or Jesus on it? Or the Easter Bunny? Or Santa? How about Ronald Mcdonald? Superman? Idols. Which you worship. Besides, don't look down on them, you aren't supposed to have images of god, but I fricking see the bugger everywhere.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Ruddertail

I have never seen anybody worship the easter bunny...

Actually, the Bible never says that you shouldn't make an image of God. It says you shouldn't make an idol or worship it, but it never says anything about making a picture or statue of God, so long as you worship God, not the statue.

Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Aqualis

Actually, it does. Part of old testament law. "Thou shalt make no graven images." Or something along those lines.

Ah yes, elves. Much more pausible, seeing as they actually existed!. Haven't you ever read any history, Volkov?
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

cloud

Volkov you have such a skewed vision of religion. Not everyone worships the way to masses do and not everyone is as sacrilegiously corrupted as you think. I don't praise false images such as Santa or the easter bunny, in truth I never believed in either after the age of 5. I don't own any statues of Jesus or God or even any crosses for that matter. My church attendance has been minimal since 9th grade. However, I still believe in God and pray to him, but that doesn't make me an idol worshiper since I have no tangible idols I'm worshiping.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Naltaca

Volkov, there is a difference between pagan images and God Himself.  We are supposed to worship God, and the cross represents the price he paid by giving his Son up for us so that we may go to heaven.  Worshipping things such as money or golden statues is what it prohibits.
COOL STORY BRO

Gen. Volkov

Ummm.. aqualis you are joking I hope about the druids and elves... otherwise I just feel sorry for you. Druids were the shamanic priests of the Celtic tribes. You are apparently the only person who did not know this.

As to graven idols...
One of the Ten commandments. Read it. ph34r my l33tness. 

Do not represent gods by any carved statue or picture of anything in the heaven above, on the earth below, or in the water below the land.

Now then, you were saying?

And I was being a little overdramatic, because attitudes like the one cloud was expressing piss me off. Even if it was a joke. The Easter bunny isn't really that much of an idol that relaces god, Santa is a bit more of one, but it's obviously not worship of false idols exactly, but it's darn close.

Maybe I do have a skewed view of religion, or maybe it's because I have none, so I can see the hypocrisy clearly. I don't really care if you are being sacrilegious, provided you don't come after me for doing something that's against what you believe. It's when people start expressing these sanctimonious, holier than thou attitudes that I start pointing out the fact that you aren't exactly following what the book says yourself. Especially these fundamentalist nutballs.