RWL-holics...

Started by The Lady Shael, January 12, 2006, 06:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

We need another discussion topic (we ALWAYS need another discussion topic), so here we go...

How do you describe RWL to your friends in real life? Or do your friends even know it exists? What about your family?

Sometimes, I think, it's kinda awkward in conversation (and more awkward the older you get):
"So, what sites do you go to?"
"Well, I play Redwall:Warlords...it's, uh, a text-based game..."
"That's cool."
"Yeah, and it's based off of a series with...um....little furry animals for characters..."
"...I see."

heh. I think a lot of us have been playing this game so long that they forget what it's all based on.

Me, personally, I don't talk about it much. My close friends know that there's some site based off a kid's series that I'm an admin at, and I think I might've even pointed them to some place in the forums once or twice, to read some amusing topic.
My family knows about it, I think. I told my parents once or twice that I'm an admin here and stuff, but I think they just forget about it, and they really don't know anything about it. I used to tell my sister a lot about it, back when I used to play and stuff, but not as much anymore.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Aqualis

It's pretty much the same for me, but I leave out the part about little furry animals.

"You'd probly like Redwall: Warlords. It an online text-based strategy game where you can kill people."

Or something along those lines. No one I know has signed up. That I know of.

QuoteHey, Aqualis, you have 0 messages, 0 are new.
Total time logged in: 3 days, 9 hours and 16 minutes.

I think I qualify as a "RWL-holic", seeing as that's 11 hours more than the guy below me (Volkov I think).
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Peace Alliance

A lot of my friends used to play the game... so whenever i refer to it i call it "that redwall game we all used to play" and they'll go "oh ya, that, heh, that was so long ago" and i'll say something like "ya... i'm the admin now". lol.

But when i explain it to people who don't know, i'll call it a text based game based off the Redwall series... this usually results in a sidelong look, but my favourite way or explaining text-based games is by simply saying "its like a non-stop board game online".

So often do people think text-based must be boring, and yet they like board games? its the same thing really. the same compeditiveness

Gen. Volkov

Hey, Gen. Volkov, you have 16 messages, 0 are new.
Total time logged in: 2 days, 23 hours and 15 minutes.

Yeah. I'm definitely a RWL-holic. I try to leave... but can't for more than a few months.

My friends all know what RWL is about, being as I tell them about it and one of them brought me here in the first place. My parents know I go here, but are vague on what it is. LOL.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

The Lady Shael

Quote from: Peace Alliance on January 12, 2006, 07:03:03 PM
But when i explain it to people who don't know, i'll call it a text based game based off the Redwall series... this usually results in a sidelong look, but my favourite way or explaining text-based games is by simply saying "its like a non-stop board game online".

That's actually a really neat way of putting it...I think I'll use that from now on. Better than "It's a text-based game where you raise an army and attack other people, and there's turns, and stuff, and...never mind."
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Aqualis

"It's a game where you raise an army of small furry animals, and then use it to kill your oppenent's army of small furry animals."
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Neobaron

*grin*

"Hey Jon, whats that?"
"Oh, hey. Economic Simulator."
"Whats it called?"
"Redwall Warlords."
"Like the kids books about teh rats?"
"Mice. And yes, but thats not really pertanent."
"Oh?"
"Yeah its a numbers game based around an economic simulator with the option to raide a hypothetical army of various creatures to defeat other players"
"Oh."
"Yeah its pretty complicated."

Most people dont deserve to be playing this game... which is why im not so conversational. If i think theyre going to be flashes in the pan, i dont bother. If i think that they might stick around I ask. None of my freinds thus far have been ones to stick around.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Holby

I have had a few people stop by for brief periods of time, those who have read Redwall. Otherwise they think I'm crazy, I've never even explained it to my parents.
I will not deleted this

Neobaron

lol...

My mom threatened to take my computer one time till i BSed that it was helping me with math.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Peace Alliance

My 'ol high school would get you in tons of trouble if they found you playing games. So i always had a detailed plan made up in case i got caught which was that this was an educational game. and that i was studying the math involved so that i could produce my own version of it... it was an elaborate excuse i never got to use. Too bad eh? i bet it woulda worked. even though our server admin was a real hard-apple

Ashyra Nightwing

Heh heh heh. Arguia and I managed to get RWL blocked on our school computer system. I had to explain this place to my parents eventually...

Arguia Zsah

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on January 16, 2006, 03:48:34 PM
Heh heh heh. Arguia and I managed to get RWL blocked on our school computer system. I had to explain this place to my parents eventually...

That was quite scary... sitting there in the library on RWL and the window closes and I get logged off... freaky.

Never explained it to anyone (Ashy's mum - "points make prizes!")

Ashyra Nightwing

Rheorix

I tend to not share the fun games, mostly because my friends think I'm an expert and the game tends to bore me.

Arguing online is like running in the Special Olympics.? Even if you win, you're still retarted.

Josh

<-
expert
i guess i'm rahter eccentric when it comes to my ego pampering
redwall falls into the same category as talking to girls and doing well in school