Messing up the servers

Started by Retto, December 23, 2005, 08:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

Yeah, I'd like a reset, reg is dead, and it would clear out all the old gunk, which would help with the usage. I just don get why the usage spike would happen now, we've had all those dead wralords for awhile.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Disdain

Mine seems to be gone, as well.

Quote from: cloud on January 03, 2006, 06:44:08 PM
I'd prefer one, since my account got deleted for some reason.

(click to enlarge)

Wolf Snare

1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Shogun

On the suspect of lunarpages: Servers got DOS'd today, at least Krittika did. My site is down now, which sucks. :S
My siggy died :(

Peace Alliance

I think everyone would like one now, since there was a lot of inactive accounts

Aqualis

"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Germania

How are turns proccesed? Does it go through all the accounts? Dead and alive? Someone check turns.php....

Peace Alliance

G... germania? where've you been? i thought you were in jail again or something, lol

bjornredtail

*digs out copy of BAXX sourcecode*
Ok...
Here is the relivant code in turns.php
print "Updating ranks...";
$users = mysql_query("SELECT num FROM $playerdb ORDER BY disabled ASC, networth DESC;");
$urank = 0;
while ($user = mysql_fetch_array($users))
{
$urank++;
mysql_query("UPDATE $playerdb SET rank=$urank WHERE num=$user[num];");
}
/*$users = mysql_query("SELECT num FROM $playerdb WHERE disabled != 2 AND land = 0 ORDER BY networth DESC;");
while ($user = mysql_fetch_array($users))
{
$urank++;
mysql_query("UPDATE $playerdb SET rank=$urank WHERE num=$user[num];");
}*/

Odd, the old code that was commented noted if there did not update ranks for dead people, at least I think.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Gen. Volkov

So its possible someone was messing with it and Retto didn't realize they were?
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

bjornredtail

Not likely... Everything in turns.php is fired via cron. If you attempt to launch it thourgh the web server, you would fail.

To prove that: http://www.redwallwarlords.com/turns.php

Access forbidden!

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: htmlend() in /home/redwallw/public_html/turns.php on line 18

Which is just what is supposed to happen. However, if you were to call it through PHP indapendently of Apache, it would run... And I do not have the access to do that, else I would have messed up the turns.

However, the real time scores could be exploited like that, at least I belive. Perhaps something could be added to exclude dead empires from real time rankings.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Germania

Quote from: Peace Alliance on January 07, 2006, 06:22:59 PM
G... germania? where've you been? i thought you were in jail again or something, lol

Around.

What I meant by processing turns for dead accounts was eventually when you hit a certain point, you had say 900 dead accounts which would still get time devoted to by cron when it processed turns.php. I guess you would have to; to a point so the ranks would update and they could settle at the bottom but maybe a bypass line if:dead then:skip logic after initial rankings are updated.

Retto

Well, bravo, to everyone who has been mucking about, and the idiots who put up with their lies and schemes:

QuoteHello,

I have had to disable your cron jobs as the processes weren't dying off, and
the server had load of 44. Usual load is up to around 10.

As this has caused an issue before, I must ask that you do not put them back
again, as they are not suitable for our shared hosting plan.

You need to upgrade to dedicated if you want to host these. Alternatively,
it might be ok if you run them every hour, but definately not as they have been
running, as they have caused problems twice now.
The 'ittle otter,
Retto

Gen. Volkov

Oh great, thanks guys. No turns again.

cloud

maybe if beatles wasn't hacking the code and using programs...
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...