What is behind your first name?

Started by wolf bite, September 21, 2005, 06:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf bite

http://www.behindthename.com/

Cool site that tells you where your name came from and what it means. Note that I got a few pop ups on start up.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Gen. Volkov

Well heck.. I don't need that. I already know where Daniel comes from. The Bible.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

wolf bite

But where did the bible get the name?

From the Hebrew name Daniyel meaning "God is my judge".

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

windhound

Usage: Welsh, English
From a surname which was originally from a place name meaning "big village" from Welsh tref "village" and mawr "large".

interresting..  big villiage O_o

(and shame wolf =-P you're not using firefox, mine blocked all the popups just fine ^_^)
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Vengerak

Is hope that's not a colourful euphemism.

Menatus

I already know my name means Fairy Queen (go on, snicker!) but that site doesn't say it. Every other one has. This one just went on about Tatianus and Tatius.

Gen. Volkov

Don't think so Vengerak.

Hrm. That is interesting wolf bite.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Ruatine

First name:
(feminine form of Stephen)
From the Greek name Στεφανος (Stephanos) which means "crown". Saint Stephen was an early Christian martyr who was stoned to death, as told in Acts in the New Testament. Another Saint Stephen is the patron saint of Hungary, the first Christian king of that country (10th century). As well, this was the name of kings of England, Serbia, and Poland and ten popes. More recently it is borne by the British physicist Stephen Hawking and the American author Stephen King.

My middle name is also biblical in nature:
(feminine form of Michael)
From the Hebrew name Miyka'el which meant "who is like God?". This is the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers. This was also the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include the 19th-century chemist/physicist Michael Faraday and basketball player Michael Jordan.
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

Badrang the Tyrant

JOSHUA 
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: JAH-shu-wa, JAW-shwa   [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Websites, Comments
Options: Contribute Information, Add to List 
From the Hebrew name Yehoshua which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus was a variant of the name Joshua.

Nohcnonk

So... what's behind your first name, wolf?

ELI 
Usage: Jewish, English, Biblical
Pronounced: EE-lie   [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Comments
Means "ascension" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament he was the high priest of Israel and the teacher of Samuel.

The Lady Shael

*points at Teufel's post* She has the same name I do. Saves me some time. ^_~

My middle name is my mom's maiden name, so it wasn't on the site. The second part of my first name (technically, my first name is Stephanie Marie):

French and Czech form of Maria (see MARY). A notable bearer of this name was Marie Antoinette, the queen of France who was executed by guillotine during the French Revolution. Another was Marie Curie, a physicist and chemist who studied radioactivity with her husband Pierre.
(Mary) Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Mariam or Maria (the spellings are interchangeable), which were from the Hebrew name Miriam. The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or mr "love". This is the name of several New Testament characters, most importantly Mary the virgin mother of Jesus, and Mary Magdalene. Two queens of England have had this name, as well as a Queen of Scotland, Mary Queen of Scots.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

wolf bite

Quote from: Nohcnonk on September 22, 2005, 07:55:03 PM
So... what's behind your first name, wolf?

WOLF 
Usage: German, English, Jewish
Pronounced: WUWLF   [key]
Extra Info: Related Names, Comments
Means simply "wolf" from the English word. It can also be a short form of WOLFGANG or WOLFRAM.

PAUL 
Usage: English, French, German, Romanian, Biblical
Pronounced: PAWL, POL (French)   [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Name Days, Websites, Comments
From the Roman family name Paulus, which meant "small" or "humble" in Latin. Saint Paul was an important leader of the early Christian church, his story told in Acts in the New Testament. He was originally named Saul, but changed his name after converting to Christianity. Most of the epistles in the New Testament were authored by him. This was also the name of six popes. Famous bearers of this name in the art world include Paul Cezanne and Paul Gauguin, both 19th-century impressionist painters from France.

EVERETT 
Usage: English
Pronounced: EV-ur-et   [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names
From a surname which was derived from the first name EVERARD. Means "brave boar", derived from the Germanic elements eber "wild boar" and hard "brave, hardy".

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

Aqualis

Quote from: Badrang the Tyrant on September 22, 2005, 02:01:16 PM
JOSHUA 
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: JAH-shu-wa, JAW-shwa   [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Websites, Comments
From the Hebrew name Yehoshua which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus was a variant of the name Joshua.

"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Peace Alliance

for some reason, they LOVE charles lance! they talk about him in amost 50% of the names i've looked at so far... what the heck?

anyways, apparently i'm part Elf Army, and part Olive tree! hahahahah!

Ashyra Nightwing

IMOGEN 
Usage: English
Pronounced: IM-o-jen   [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Comments
The name of a princess in the play 'Cymbeline' by Shakespeare. He based her on a legendary character named Innogen, but the name was printed incorrectly and never corrected. The name Innogen is derived from Gaelic inghean meaning "maiden

Haha. I knew it was Shakespeare...