Classic Rock!

Started by Trident, April 30, 2005, 11:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holby

Pop is whatever sells.
Simple Plan
Blink 182
Good Charlotte

I like those bands, they have some good songs. I do not completely renounce modern music :P I listen to it and have to play it on air. There is some good pop. But it has nothing over its predecessors.  
I will not deleted this

Deathclaw

blink-182 is in no way pop. They are rock/punk rock. Pop is stuff like Britney Spears and other crappy music. And it is better than its crappy predecessors.
Glory, Glory, Man United!

Blood Wake

I agree Deathclaw, but not all Pop is stuff like Spears. Duran Duran, Michell Jackson, The Guess Who were all pop and yet they had guitars and stuff just like rock does, The Yardbirds were rock but then started to kind of turn into pop so Eric Clapton left, just because they have guitars, bass guitars and drums doesn't mean that they are rock.
I am Emperor Cornswallow Balthazar Eradicus Shunt VII, ruler of the Blood Wake empire.

picture made by my brother Klowd19

My project, Fasba Fpel broke world records and collaborated with some incredible musicians. Download the free music or watch videos:
h

Ashyra Nightwing

Ashlee... Simpson. Ack. *dies*

MUSE.

windhound

Deathclaw..  you give plenty of examples of what /isnt/ what you're talking about..  
I gave a long list of good classic rock bands (and I've got many more that should be there...  Boston, GnR, Jethro Tull, the Who, etc), you've given me two or three bands that fit what you're talking about..  so all you listen to is a couple of bands?  I dont care about their songs, it would take me hours to type out all the top songs for each classic rock artist listed..  
you said you had a top ten list, post it ;)
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Deathclaw

Top 10 list...

1. blink-182
2. Box Car Racer
3. New Found Glory
4. Sum 41
5. Green Day
6. Bowling For Soup
7. Story of the Year
8. Yellowcard
9. Switchfoot
10. U2

I don't keep a written list, just went through my head and named my ten. And I like more than just 10 bands, also.

windy, the reason I gave 2 examples was the time it would take to give more. blink-182 can kick any classic or current bands (donkey) in skill, quality, etc. And pop is a genre of music, Blood Wake, and pop is things like Spears, Simpson, etc... or faggish boy bands like N'Sync and Backstreet Boys.

Blood Wake

Green Day and U2 are the only bands on that list that I like.

Deathclaw, by what you are saying I am hearing that you think that bands like Duran Duran are not pop, when in fact they fit into the pop genre and not rock, even though they sound a lot like rock. what you hear nowadays is not what all pop is, classic pop is practically rock, its the way that they sing and what key the songs are played in that classify them as rock or pop, so some of the bands you listen to might have a slightly pop sound but you don't realize it.

I re-read my post above and saw that it didn't make sence, go read the modified version
I am Emperor Cornswallow Balthazar Eradicus Shunt VII, ruler of the Blood Wake empire.

picture made by my brother Klowd19

My project, Fasba Fpel broke world records and collaborated with some incredible musicians. Download the free music or watch videos:
h

Trident

Now I'm confused.  Deathclaw and I are on good terms as far as hatred of pop?  Hmm... Then that means he must like either modern rock or punk rock.  Notice that ROCK is in both of those, and therefore all types of ROCK simply ROCKS.  Especially Classic Rock which really ROCKS.  ((I cannot be serious for very long)).

Now then, onto your list of favorites.

1. blink-182
I consider them punk.  Not at all pop.  I like /some/ of their songs, like "Small Things" or "What's my age again."  However, I still prefer Motley Crue.  

2. Box Car Racer
Some of Blink 182 is actually part of this band, but I consider this as more Punk Rock than simply punk.  Not that bad of a band...

3. New Found Glory
Not hard enough for me.  I think I classified this band as soft rock, which annoys me, but isn't as bad as pop.

4. Sum 41
Who can forget their way-too-popular song, which gives rock an almost soft appearance.  I definitely can't listen to them every day.

5. Green Day
I actually like them, but true punk doesn't need eyeliner, although it's a very hot prop.

6. Bowling For Soup
Girl all the bad guys want ^^ waaaaaay too over-played.  Can get annoying, which rock never does.

7. Story of the Year
8. Yellowcard

Be happy that I have no comment on them.

9. Switchfoot
CHRISTIAN ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!  ^_^

10. U2

Err... maybe I'm mistaken, but aren't they an "older" band?  Maybe not Classic Rock, but close to it?

Deathclaw

Glad you agree on some of my bands if not all, lol.

windhound

U2:
first album released:   Boy;  date: October 1980
however, they are still playing..  

oh, Deathclaw, my main question is /how much/ classic rock have you heard?  I doubt you've actually listend to 2 songs from 3 bands on my list
'course, I dont know 1/2 of yers..  ;)

on a side, but related, note:
I dont like rap.  at all.  the first song I heard from that genre was about a guy murding his mother and calling her a (dog).  
The words were made to go with the beat, but not in any given, logical order.  pure nonsence other then the few lines that were understandable about ^

however, I have been forced to listen to a few /tolorable/ rap songs my roomate has..  tolorable in the sence I didnt get up and slam the lid on his laptop shut.  (in exchange, I forced him through some classic rock.. (which, the majority of which he found he ~ liked, but he liked his Linkin Park more O.o))  

odds are good you cant sterotype a genre, no matter what it is..  

if you like your sceaming modern rock bands then fine, 's your choice..  
(yes, the majority of modern rock that I have heard involves screaming at the top on your lungs for atleast part of the song...)

*sticks with 'is old bands*
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Aqualis

1. Aerosmith
2. Big & Rich
3. Savatage
4. U2
5. Trace Adkins
6. Jimmy Buffet
7. Dave Matthews Band
8. Montgomery Gentry
9. Led Zepplin
10. Trans-Siberean Orchestra

I see Rock, Country, and Metal.
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Deathclaw

I like your 4 (U2) and 7 is alright, not great, I like a few of their songs, not many.  

Cindarin

Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin.
"Without love life has no meaning." - Joseph Nicholas

"Looks are just an added bonus." - Joseph Nicholas

"Meine Liebe, Mein Leben, Meine Welt." - Joseph Nicholas

user posted image

wolf bite

A lot of people should be on the list, and maybe some should not. I see clasic rock as that was playing when I was a kid, some of those were not known then.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Blademaster

Im not a big fan of Classic Rock(more of a Rap and Hip hop fan) but from what I know the Rollng Stones or Gun's&Rose's
My warlord name is Bladefang(#536) and I am proudly in the Mythic clan
Halo 2 rules!
And so dose New Zealand
My old fourm account was Oscar(the guy wth the smiley face for an avatar) but I didn't have Internet for a couple of months and forgot the password