Classic Rock!

Started by Trident, April 30, 2005, 11:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident

Of course Queen should be on the list.  But it Queen made it, then Zepp should be there too, and then DMB, th Doors, and the Rolling Stones.  Needless to say, Classic Rock has the best bands, and it's hard to choose when ones to even put a poll for, as well as which ones are best.

windhound

what about The Police?  =-P

hehe..  soo many good bands...
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Deathclaw

The best bands are todays music, not classic rock. blink-182, Sum 41, New Found Glory, MxPx, NoFX, etc.
Glory, Glory, Man United!

Trident

Um... Not really.  The best bands are the ones that created Rock, not that derived punk from rock.  

Deathclaw, you listed punk bands.  Punk and Rock are completely different.  Today it sems that The Killers and Modest Mouse are the only rock bands.

Deathclaw

The Killers suck horribly. And older bands generally suck with few exceptions.

windhound

have you listened to a /majority/ of older bands?
'cause the majority of them were awesome
reasons:
~most older rock bands were around for more than a year or two
    --most modern bands arnt around for more than a year, they take their money and run
~most older rock bands had /talent/
    --most modern stuff doesnt take much talent to play, seriously
~most classic rock bands' songs were about a wide range of things..
    --most modern stuff is..  repetitive..  like honda and toyotas, all basically the same..

just my observations
there are, as always, exceptions, but talking about the majority..  
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Deathclaw

Older bands mostly suck majorly. And most bands are around for more than a year. If they aren't it is because they don't have the talent for it or will to do it.  

windhound

old bands that were around for quite some time with MANY Hit Songs:

Beatles
Styx
The Police
Santana
Kansas
Led Zep
Floyd
Rolling Stones
AC/DC
Queen
Aerosmith
Doors
Eagles
ZZ Top
Kiss
+remains from Trident's poll list
and thoes are just off the top of my head

most modern bands have one or two hits then slip into obsurity...

give me a list of modern bands that have had more then 5 hits

I've got a modern radio station on right now 'cause not much gets through these thick walls
the current song right now sucks.  somthin about saturate..  the guy keeps screaming it..  if the radio wasnt 8 feet away I'd switch it off (no remote, the system is pre-remote control (its got an 8-track and record player))  some other songs, like thoes from Greenday and some others are tolorable though...  

Deathclaw

Only good band you listed is the Beatles, and they aren't in my top 10.

Scarwake

Actually, I find that most of the classic rock bands are more appealling to myself and tons of others more so than the music we have around today.  No offense, sure modern music is great, an excellent example is Incubus' remix of Behind Blue Eyes, but you must realize that even tho I don't like the old version of that song it was a number one hit back in its day.
But then there's the music that has meaning...While not classic rock, its certainly a classic nonetheless, Lean on Me by The Temptations.  That song is one that has a meaning a good one at that.  A symbol of friendship and of love is created by that song, whereas today's songs are mostly made up of singing about drugs, people being shot, girls that they've dated and the such...Sure the songs about girlfriends are showing love but its something that's become soooo corny its not even good nemore.
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Holby

Don't worry, Deathclaw just likes to think he's cool ;)
I will not deleted this

Deathclaw

Quote from: HolbyDon't worry, Deathclaw just likes to think he's cool ;)
I am, but I seriously doubt you are. And there are about two people at my school that like "classic rock", and they are weird to put it nicely.  

Holby

Quote from: DeathclawI am, but I seriously doubt you are. And there are about two people at my school that like "classic rock", and they are weird to put it nicely.
And that's what I like about you, DC.
I will not deleted this

Trident

Modern music= pop.

And I hate pop.

Ashlee Simpson, Avril Lavigne, Hilary Duff, Ryan C., Good Charlotte, Simple Plan... Yuck.  Poser people trying to act punk, and it digusts me.  

I personally think the pop princesses at my school who run around screaming about Jesse Mcartney's hotness are the weird girls.  The only good modern music is Underoath, because they scream so you can't hear their lame words which everybody else has sang a million times before.

Wow...  

Deathclaw

Trident... modern music does not equal pop. And Underoath is only good on the parts they don't screem. Most screemo sucks horribly. Simple Plan and Good Charlotte are good, but pop sucks. And a lot of great bands have meaningful lyrics, as well as some meaningless songs.

For example... blink-182 has some meaningful songs like I'm Lost Without You, Carousel, Adam's Song, (pleasant intellectual) Lips (title makes it sound like a messing around song, but its about Tom Delonge and when he got kicked out of high school for drinking beer at a basketball game), and many other songs that are meaningful, plus a few songs that are gross but funny, and not all too meaningful, but great all the same, like Family Reunion, Happy Holidays, 13 Miles, What Went Wrong, The Grandpa Song, etc.

Another example... Box Car Racer has meaningful songs like I Feel So, There Is, And I, Elevator, and pretty much every song they've written except My First Punk Song.

And I could name many examples, but that would take a while, so I'll stop here.