Favorite Sport

Started by Deathclaw, February 28, 2005, 07:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorClaw

Not falling is easy. My 5-year-old brother doesn't fall. Running is even easier. My 2-year-old sister can run and kick a ball. Soccer is a more natural sport for the human body, therefore hockey requires more skill, because you have to learn to do things proficiently that are not natural, instinctive skills.  

Deathclaw

So kicking a soccer ball upper 90 bending it is natural? No, it isn't. Slide tackling? No. Heading? No. Juggling? No. And the list goes on. Those things aren't natural and instinctive, you learn to do them through hours of training.  
Glory, Glory, Man United!

RazorClaw

But the very means of manuevering is a natural human instinct. Skating is not natural. Kicking things is natural. All one is doing is enhancing natural abilities by learning to kick differently. Then, we have chacking, shooting, stickhandling, deking, and nothing in hockey goalie is natural. TRYING to be hit by a piece of vulcanized rubber going 90 MPH?

Deathclaw

Try to take a soccer ball coming at you, or coming out to their feet, getting kicked in the face diving on the ball to stop the shot.

TR Shadow

Well, I voted other because I play lacrosse.  *Nod*

RazorClaw

Quote from: DeathclawTry to take a soccer ball coming at you, or coming out to their feet, getting kicked in the face diving on the ball to stop the shot.
That's another thing: goalieing is easier in soccer. NO padding other than shin pads and gloves to slow you down, a ball about five times as big as the puck, that moves about half as fast. And, though the nets are big, they are fairly easy to keep for when you're actually playing. The balls also don't hurt nearly as much.  

Alder the Warrior

I love Baseball. I'm an MVP for my team.
Hate is a choice. Love is a gift. An edict. A command. Love doesn't understand names or labels. It doesn't ask premission. It demands obedience. Hate can change. Love cannot.

Aqualis

Quote from: DeathclawTry to take a soccer ball coming at you, or coming out to their feet, getting kicked in the face diving on the ball to stop the shot.
That's not all that hard.
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Deathclaw

Quote from: AqualisThat's not all that hard.
Your crazy. I've been kicked in the face by over aggressive forwards I don't know how many times.

And RC - the goal is like a foot across! Soccer it is 12 across and 8 high, try guarding that net. Hockey keeping is easy, I can follow the puck with my eyes and put my body behind it. And earlier you said the puck goes 90... pros can kick 60-70. And it swerves, you have to dive, etc. Hockey keepers move their arm and its blocked.

RazorClaw

The goal is five feet wide, I believe. DC, I want you to come to one of my practices, and try, just TRY, playing goalie, as I crack up watching you and scoring on you. The guys coming at you is going about 20 MPH, in pros can shoot 130 MPH, and can pass all the way across the ice in a split second. I've played soccer goalie. NOt at club level, but at A. You have never played hockey. Therefore, I have a superior comparison, whereas you have your opinion watching it.  

Aqualis

Quote from: DeathclawYour crazy.
Good point.

~the mighta awualis

Myrhakel

My favourite sport is sabre fencing. It's quick, easy to judge and fun to watch.  
The man
Of virtuous soul commands not, nor obeys:
Power, like a desolating pestilence,
Pollutes whate'er it touches, and obedience,
Bane of all genius, virtue, freedom, truth,
Makes slaves of men, and, of the human frame,
A mechanised automaton.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

user posted image

Aqualis

I'm a fan of martial arts and kettlebells myself, but if I recall correctly, it's not a sport if it doesn't involve a ball.

~the mighta awualis

Deathclaw

RC - I have played goalie for hockey in my friends driveway which is wider than a soccer goal and saved a good amount of them, I could handle goalie in hockey.

Death Eater

Two Words

Beach Volleyball

Three More Words

Best. Sport. Ever.
user posted image