Orientation

Started by Trident, February 24, 2005, 08:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorClaw

DC, Soccer games are RARELY as low as 3-1. Hockey games are commonly. Just because your team is doing better, does not mean that soccer has lower scoring. You pulled that one completely out of your (behind). DC< yu mentioned skills that are equivilent to hockey skills, except you're using your feet rather than a stick (ergo making it easier). Myrh, there are maybe two fights in a professional hockey game. Soccer, from what DC and Trident say, is MORE violent, at least as far as injuries. And soccer has NOTHING equivilent to checking or the use of sticks.  

Deathclaw

Quote from: RazorClawDC, Soccer games are RARELY as low as 3-1.
That is completely untrue... in the past 9 games, here we're our scores.

0-0 tie
1-0 win
2-0 win
2-0 win
2-1 win
3-1 win
2-2 tie
1-1 tie
0-0 tie

Only one of those games had 3 goals. Soccer games are commonly low scoring.

I definitely did not pull it out of my (donkey).

((Notice those games, we didn't lose any of them! 5 wins, no losses, 4 draws!!!))
Glory, Glory, Man United!

Aqualis

Quote from: Myrhakelsince none of us are pros or will be pros it hardly matters.
That's an awfully big assumption.
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

RazorClaw

I notice you plowed over my "your games do not represent soccer as a whole" comment.  

Deathclaw

Most soccer games are low scoring. Rarely are they high scoring. Hockey games are regularly 5-4, etc. Soccer almost never gets 9 goals scored combining both sides goals. Games are commonly 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2... you don't see 3 goals by a side very often unless it is a title hunter playing a relegation side.

RazorClaw

The scoringest team in the NHL last year was the Ottowa Senators. Here are their game-by-game-stats:

2-5 Win
3-2 Loss (I'll represent these with letters now)
3-4 L
3-0 W
4-1 W
1-5 W
6-2 W
3-2 L
1-1 T
3-6 L

This represents the first ten games of Ottowa's last season. However, they were the scoringest team and had a crappy goalie. Now, let's try New Jersey.

3-3 T
2-1 W
2-2 T
3-2 L
2-1 L
2-1 W
5-2 L
4-0 W
4-3 L
3-4 W

These guys sport an 82-game season. Tampa had 262 goals for, New Jersey had 164 goals against.

MLS guys play 30 games each. Their scores are thusly:

Most goals for: 47 (MetroStars)
Least Goals Against: 30 (Wizards)

I don't know if MLS is the best professional league, but, apparently, in pros, soccer players score less goals per game.

BUT, does this indicate a lesser skill from these soccer players? Nets about five times as big, and yet they can't score as much? Or does this indicate simply better athleticism from the hockey athletes? Also, let's take a look at two different pics:

Here's your "in better shape, better athlete, stronger" soccer player:

VS. wimpy, out-of-shape, fat, unskilled hockey player.

How long does a soccer game go? I just play street, we usually play for an hour. What about pro?

EDIT: And Jesus plays hockey, therefore it PWNzorz soccer.  

Deathclaw

Soccer games have 45 minute halves. 5 or 10 minute halves. MLS is not the best pro league. The best pro league is the English Premier League.

The reason you score less in soccer is goalkeepers are better than hockey keepers. We can defend our goals well, cut off angles, parry it away, catch, etc. The reason you score more in hockey is you put it through his legs and it goes in some of the time. Soccer? Once in a million times.

For example... I'm tall enough and strong enough to get above the bar a few inches with my outstretched arm. I cannot be beaten by a high shot. I can dive well and far, so I can get to most shots to the side of me. I know how to play my position, how to cut off angles, talk to organize the defense and counterattack, etc. I don't get scored on that much, and I can most of the time save a breakaway with my positioning, by coming out or setting up in the right spot and catching or deflecting the shot, or if I come out, I dive at their feet and collect the ball.

Also, pucks are smaller and harder to grab. I can catch the ball most of the time, or I can turn it away for a corner by parrying it around the post or over the crossbar.

RazorClaw

Bull(smelly stuff). Goaltending is easier in soccer. You don't have to go after a tiny piece of rubber going 90MPH. Also, what about 2-on-0s? Maybe it's simply that offense is not as good in soccer.  

Myrhakel

Quote from: RazorClawGoaltending is easier in soccer. You don't have to go after a tiny piece of rubber going 90MPH.
The net in soccer is much bigger meaning that it is much harder to defend.  
The man
Of virtuous soul commands not, nor obeys:
Power, like a desolating pestilence,
Pollutes whate'er it touches, and obedience,
Bane of all genius, virtue, freedom, truth,
Makes slaves of men, and, of the human frame,
A mechanised automaton.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

user posted image

RazorClaw

But DC has explained that if you are tall enough, up isn't a problem, and from the looks of the scores, it harder to score in soccer. I know for a FACT that goaltending in hockey is harder.  

Deathclaw

Up is a problem for a lot of keepers. I'm more athletic than most and can get to the balls. I train my hardest and it shows. The soccer ball can come up to 60-70 by pros, spinning, and your defending a 12 foot wide 8 foot high goal.

Up is about being tall, it is the athleticism to get up there and catch or flick it over the crossbar. I know keepers who cannot get the majority of high balls if they are caught out of position at all. I can be at my six yard box, back up, dive, flick it over, and land on my back inside the goal.

Keeping is harder in soccer.

Edit: I'm 14 years old and 5'7", and can defend my nets height with athleticism, I'm not abnormally tall.

RazorClaw

The hockey puck can go aropund 130 at pros. Not to mention the puck's a lot smaller, and you're carrying around 15 pounds of equipment.  

Deathclaw

The goal is really small, though, and easier to defend.

RazorClaw

HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED HOCKEY? It's easier to defend with a soccer ball, maybe.  

Deathclaw

Quote from: RazorClawHAVE YOU EVER PLAYED HOCKEY? It's easier to defend with a soccer ball, maybe.
I can cover most of the goal with my body, making myself big like when I come out to their feet, and then react to it. I have more skill at goalkeeping in general than a hockey keeper.