Orientation

Started by Trident, February 24, 2005, 08:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident

Quote from: RazorClawCurving is unnecessary.
Wow; you're so wrong on this one.  Corner kicks are definitely a time to consider curving.  If you kick it just right, it'll curve into the side part of the goal tha the goalie must jump way forward to get it first.

Let's just say the score is even with Hockey and Soccer, so we can stop this back-n-forth thing.

Deathclaw

The score is never even! Soccer is so much better, harder, athleticer, etc.

Curving is necessary, especially when you face a great goalkeeper, like me, lol. Straight on shots are easy to parry away or catch, as long as they aren't placed perfectly, like side netting or something. Bending it makes them harder to save, you have to read the ball better than a no-curve shot.

Trident... what position do you play?
Glory, Glory, Man United!

Nohcnonk

Soccer and hockey?  Is that all we play?

Deathclaw

Quote from: NohcnonkSoccer and hockey?  Is that all we play?
I play soccer, baseball, and tennis... but I'm into soccer the most, I practice everyday, I can't get enough of it, lol. And soccer is the best of any sport anyway.

RazorClaw

Quote from: DeathclawThe score is never even! Soccer is so much better, harder, athleticer, etc.

Curving is necessary, especially when you face a great goalkeeper, like me, lol. Straight on shots are easy to parry away or catch, as long as they aren't placed perfectly, like side netting or something. Bending it makes them harder to save, you have to read the ball better than a no-curve shot.

Trident... what position do you play?
You still have provided no factual basis for those statements. Better? Athlecticer? I'm sorry, I'm going to go to my 2-y.o. sister for a more mature argument. For why Boobahs are better than Hockey. Nohc, soccer and hockey is what we've decided to argue about, go figure.

Deathclaw

In hockey, you skate. Running is harder and takes more out of you. And so does every other comparable aspect of each sport.

Shooting

Passing

Making runs

Challenging for the ball

Etc.

RazorClaw

Kicking takes more out of you? Passing? How so? One does not have to change their angle in soccer, rebounds are almost unpredictable. Have you ever tried hockey at all? Because it doesn't seem that you know anythign about the difficulty, but merely state again and again that soccer is easier.

Deathclaw

Change their angle? You  turn with the ball and release it into the path of the run of a teammate. And I'm not saying it is easier, I'm saying it is harder.. just think you mixed up the words. Hockey passing... move a stick... soccer, time runs, speed of ball, and hit it with a good strike on the center of the ball. Harder than hockey. Shooting... move a stick, try to put it in the net. Soccer, put spin, aim it well, hit it hard, strike it in the right spot, etc.  

Myrhakel

*votes Lesbian just for fun and wonders about the soccer related comments*
The man
Of virtuous soul commands not, nor obeys:
Power, like a desolating pestilence,
Pollutes whate'er it touches, and obedience,
Bane of all genius, virtue, freedom, truth,
Makes slaves of men, and, of the human frame,
A mechanised automaton.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

user posted image

RazorClaw

This argument is over. It is completely pointless. You have obviously never played hockey, and will continue to make points that make no sense whatsoever to someone who has. This can go no further and be valuable. I need a second opinion. (sorry, but I can't think of a word to use)IT, Peace, where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!?!?!?!?!?

Deathclaw

I have seen hockey played, skated, and screwed around with a friends stick in his driveway... not much, but I know enough to realize it isn't nearly as hard and demanding as soccer.

Another thing... hockey has open substitutions, in soccer you get three subs and that is all, once your out, you stay out. At least it is that way in pros, not in club since you have to play everyone a certain amount, but yeah. Less subbing.

Myrhakel

Quote from: DeathclawI have seen hockey played, skated, and screwed around with a friends stick in his driveway... not much, but I know enough to realize it isn't nearly as hard and demanding as soccer.
Don't judge it till you've tried it. I mean, really tried it. Not just fooled around with a can and some sticks on a frozen pond.  :P

However, I would have to agree. Soccer is the more demanding sport of the two. This is largely because of the violence in hockey, which takes away from the amount of actual skill involved in playing. Field hockey though is more demanding than hockey.  :D
The man
A mechanised automaton.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

user posted image

RazorClaw

Whether it requires more endurance or not, it certainly requires more skill. Also, it's in the top 4 sports in America; you're not.  :P  And ditto Myrh on the pond thing. Have you ever seen Junior/Pro hockey, live? Very difficult. Also, Myrh, hockey's violence is pretty limited. Checking makes it harder to get up (yet another reason why it requires more skill than soccer!) and fights are not part of gameplay and are basically for show. There's obstruction, but that's in soccer too. And it's easier to take the puck, harder to score.  

Myrhakel

Quote from: RazorClawAlso, Myrh, hockey's violence is pretty limited.
I disagree with you. If hockey was a nonviolent sport the players wouldn't be wearing about 50 pounds of padding. On most teams there are players that are only there to start fights with the other team, annoy the other team or protect members of their team. You don't /ever/ see that in soccer. People don't watch soccer for fighting. The watch soccer for the soccer, not the sideshow of two morons hitting each other.

In terms of skill I would have to say that hockey requires more. Any kid can join a kids soccer team. However, to join a kids hockey team you have to be a good and fast skater and you need a basic understanding of how to use the stick. I suppose it's debatable about which of the players on pro teams are more skilled but since none of us are pros or will be pros it hardly matters. The fact is that any group of people could play soccer together, regardless of skill level and enjoy it. That same group of people wouldn't have nerely as much fun playing hockey if they had never played before.

Hockey requires a lot of equipment and is more expensive to play for that reason. You can join local soccer teams for free but I have yet to hear of any free hockey teams in my area. To be honest with you I have more fun playing soccer. Sure it lacks some of the intensity but at least I don't have to limp home after a game. ^_^

What I said was that soccer was more demanding. In hockey you don't have to move as far. You don't have to be as aware of your team. You don't even have to work as a team. Two or three players sometimes score all of the goals for a team. A rink is small enough to allow this. In soccer because of the huge field no one can be dead weight. Skating is also easier than running, even with fifty pounds of padding. You need to be in good shape to play soccer. You need to be able to run fast and for a long time.  

I'd rather watch hockey because hockey is more interesting. People score regularly. In soccer half an hour can go before someoen scores a goal even if the teams are amazing.  
The man
A mechanised automaton.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

user posted image

Deathclaw

I disagree with some things, Myhr. Any kid can join a REC soccer team. To play club soccer you have to try out and be picked to be on the team. And club isn't free, neither is Rec, even though club is considerably more than rec.

Intensity? Soccer has a great amount of intensity at club and we get into the game deeply. Wel limp off after the game like you said you don't do in soccer. We leave all our energy on the field. Hockey is easier to score because soccer games are normally low scoring. In 9 games this tournament season my team has allowed 5 goals, with 5 clean sheets (shutouts), and 13 goals for.

Soccer also requires more skill. You need to know how to pass (part of the foot, etc.) Same with shooting. As you get older, you need to be able to head, chest, volley, hit with your thigh, laces, side of foot, etc. You have to be able to mark your man and defend and attack, and see openings, move in and out of space, get the ball, release it, move around, etc.