Orientation

Started by Trident, February 24, 2005, 08:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorClaw

Eff you! This all sucks! Go hockey! Soccer is no man sport, it's a sport for ghey Europeans who are too sissy-butted to play hockey! Yeah man! [/joke psycho rant]

@ Holbs:  :P
@DC: If you are no a geek, then methinks why are you a-playing this a-game, eh?

Deathclaw

RazorClaw: Hockey is not nearly athletic as soccer. Soccer players run several miles in a game, and it takes more brain to play soccer. Soccer takes more skill than any other sport, more strength, more endurance, more commitment, more smartness. Soccer players as a group are more in shape than any other sport.

Edit: also, I don't spend hours on this game, I play when I'm on talking to friends and looking at soccer news, etc. I don't spend much time playing.
Glory, Glory, Man United!

TR Shadow

Razorclaw, you beat me to it.  *Shakes fist*

Aqualis

Quote from: DeathclawRazorClaw: Hockey is not nearly athletic as soccer. Soccer players run several miles in a game, and it takes more brain to play soccer. Soccer takes more skill than any other sport, more strength, more endurance, more commitment, more smartness. Soccer players as a group are more in shape than any other sport.
That depends on your definition of sport.
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Deathclaw

My definition of sport? Hmm... a phisically demanding game trying to score points, runs, or goals with a some sort of ball.

RazorClaw

Deathclaw, you can restate and restate and restate that you have to be stronger and smarter and stuff, but where's the proof? The only fact you've given so far is that a soccer player has to run miles. Do you have to skate in soccer? Use a stick? There's two reasons why hockey takes more skill. How many times bigger is a soccer net? Three? Four? How does it take more brains to play soccer? There are no boards, meaning one doesn't have to think about deflection angles, and other than that, the passing routines are similar, so hockey would require slightly more brains to play well. Have you ever seen pro, or even college level hockey players condition? No?  

Badrang the Tyrant

Straight, and single mostly cause I don't want to go out with a girl then her get mad at me if we break up..or vice versa.  So I'm friends with some and "friends with a little benefit" with others..

And stop arguing about which freakin sport is better and who is better conditioned since we won't ever find out.

Deathclaw

Benefits? That's always good.  

Badrang the Tyrant

Benefits is good till a certain point.

Trident

Playing soccer for almost 11 years, I must counter Razorclaw here.  In hockey, you use a stick, yes, but that's the only part that you can hit the puck with.  In soccer, you can hit it with anything excluding your forearm and hand.  Otherwise you block, hit, score with just about any other body part.  Plus, soccer has out-of-bounds, and three different locations to put it back into play.  Hockey has NO boundries, so it glides through all of that.  

I don't care much to argue about this, because I don't really care about it, but dissing soccer in front of me isn't the wisest thing to happen.  It's not for sissies.  Running is so much harder and demanding physically than simply skating on ice. Hockey uses all sorts of protective gear.  Soccer uses only shin guards, which don't do their job very well judging by the bruises on my knees since October.  Besides, you can use crazy acrobatic skills to bend it like Beckham out on the field.  If you pull a stunt like that on ice, than a new definition for "head banging" is in order.

I just got back from a concert, so right now moshing and stuff like that creeps its way into my writing.  So rock out.

RazorClaw

1: Joking about the sissy sport thing.
2: I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to mow this over...

You can hit the puck with your stick, you can pass with your feet (just can't score with them) and catch with your hand. What are the boards in hockey? BOUNDARIES. If you shoot above the glass, it's out. The whistle is blown. The fact that soccer has a limited area with no boards does make it harder to keep the ball in, but in hockey one has to calculate angles of deflections off the boards, the defense have to protect the boards and the ice. It has a smooth flow, from forwards to backwards and again.

Hockey players need protective gear. That's why I was joking about soccer being sissy. Tell me, in soccer, does one have a 6' 7", angry, ugly, SOB going after you trying to smash you into a wall? Not the soccer I've played or watched. Watch Sidney Crosby play hockey. He can use his stick like a lacrosse stick and score with it, too. If you're good enough to be a hot dog, you can generally either 1) protect yourself or 2) have thugs for teammates who can protect you.

Trident

Well, when playing against Varisty girls as a 5'4 Freshman, if they're anywhere in the height range of 6 feet it will feel like 6'7.    The soccer you watch on TV is unrealistic as far as the attacking.  Believe me, once scoring is no longer an issue, the teams love to get eachother out of the game.  Even the preppy girls on our team will help out in attacking the other team.  Lol, that's right, lil 15 year old girls start riots in soccer.   :snicker:  

Deathclaw

If I get pissed at someone in a soccer game I shove them to the ground when the ref isn't looking. I've kicked the ball out at a parent for annoying me. If someone on the other team makes me mad, I take a yellow fouling them.

Calculating angles of deflections? In soccer you calculate your passing angles, shot angles, curve angles, etc.

Aqualis

Quote from: TridentWell, when playing against Varisty girls as a 5'4 Freshman, if they're anywhere in the height range of 6 feet it will feel like 6'7.    The soccer you watch on TV is unrealistic as far as the attacking.  Believe me, once scoring is no longer an issue, the teams love to get eachother out of the game.  Even the preppy girls on our team will help out in attacking the other team.  Lol, that's right, lil 15 year old girls start riots in soccer.   :snicker:
Haha, sounds like what I used to do a recess when I went to school. Basically Rugby with out hands. I still remember being in second grad playing the eigth graders. I made for being small by being psychotic. (I jumped infront of the ball alot, and stopped it most of the time. Unless they missed the ball, then I just got kicked.) And we won.
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

RazorClaw

So, you guys play dirty in soccer. Good for you. That makes it a tough game? In hockey, the stuff you're talking about (other than shooting at the crowd, which is considered beyond dishonorable) doesn't come close to a penalty, and the really dirty stuff, other than causing outrage, is far worse than anything that can happen in soccer. Deathclaw, passing angles are easy to calculate. How about calculating the angle of your pass, the angle of deflection off of a hard surface, and then again off of a guys' shin pads to a teammate? Can't happen in soccer. Shot angles have to be calculated in hockey, too. Curving is unnecessary.