Christmas is still going on

Started by Menatus, December 28, 2004, 01:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menatus

There are 12 days of it, you know.

Gen. Volkov

Menatus you silly person, the 12 days of christmas all come BEFORE Dec. 25th. Thats the last day of christmas, so I am sorry to say, Christmas IS over.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Menatus

Are you serious? Is that what people think? What religion are you? Maybe it's a western thing. Let me find you something...

The Twelve Days of Christmas are probably the most misunderstood part of the church year among Christians who are not part of liturgical church traditions. Contrary to much popular belief, these are not the twelve days before Christmas, but in the Western Church are the twelve days from Christmas until the beginning of Epiphany  (January 6th; the 12 days count from December 25th until January 5th).

calria

If it helps out, I knew that!

In my family, we keep the Christmas tree up through Epiphany, and we celebrate epiphany as a holiday.

Ashyra Nightwing

Nope, the 12 days of Christmas are DEFINITELY after Christmas. *nods*

Menatus

XD Thanks!

I'm pretty sure we celebrate Epiphany...or at least go to church ^_^;; Not that I don't go to church every week.

Gen. Volkov

What? REALLY? WOW! I did not know that! Of course it prolly doesn't help that I'm an athiest... :D  I honestly thought the twelve days were before christmas.. meh. You learn something new every once in awhile eh?
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

RazorClaw

You shouldn't even be CELEBRATING Christmas. Pah. One of my pet peeves. I don't see why non-Christians can't get their OWN holiday. Like Festivus!

Menatus

Festivus! Yeah, I don't really get it either. My friend Lindsey just gets presents for no reason. But she got me something, so I don't care XD

missbehavin

Quote from: MenatusThere are 12 days of it, you know.
Well thats not fair... if Chrismtas is still going on I'm asking for more presents.

Oops.. Christmas... I can't spell.
~Missbehavin'

Gen. Volkov

Because its a commercialized holiday. So screw the spiritual meaning. And anyway, you guys don't even have the right DAY so why should you be celebrating???

Menatus

Oh, Volkov, you silly person, what would you know?

Gen. Volkov

Actually quite a bit. Aside from the little thing about when the 12 days of Christmas are... hehe. Dec. 25th is not the birthday of Jesus. Its a pagan holiday that the Catholic church co-opted in order to attract more people to the religon.

Guthorm Swordmaster

I knew that Volkov!But I didn't know that the 12 dyas were after Christmas day...Everyday Is a learning curve.

Gen. Volkov

You did? Well cool. Heh. See I'm not the only one!