The RWL Dictionary...

Started by The Lady Shael, November 28, 2004, 05:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

http://www.theladyshael.net/rwldictionary.htm

Well, take a look yourself. I was extremely bored today, even though I had a lot of school stuff and online class stuff to do. Urgent stuff which I should've finished two weeks ago, but I didn't feel like doing it so I didn't. And I needed something to do, so I thought, hey, wasn't I planning to compile some kind of RWL dictionary about a year ago? And I remember I certainly did.

So I made one. Stealing pieces from the main site style sheet, of course, for unity. One problem I'm having with the code though, the paragraphs in class "links" (which are the links) aren't being centered, not sure why. Help, please.

So, anyways, I'm hoping some of you are willing to suggest some more terms for the dictionary, which will most likely go into it now that the dictionary actually /exists/. Don't make up terms, I won't put them in. I'm looking for in-game terms, RWL slang, recurring inside jokes, forum-related terms, etc.

~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Kilkenne

ROFL! I was about to suggest putting in Stomple?, but it's already there!  ;)  

The Lady Shael

:D  How could I not put it in? Funny thing is that I read your sig after I put it in there...^_^
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

Aqualis

Instead of CSS why not just use <p align="center"> like you did in the previous two paragraphs.

--- or ---

<center>
<p>
<a href="http://www.redwallwarlords.com/">Back to Main Site</a>
<br>
<a href="http://www.redwallwarlords.com/forums">Back to RWL Forums</a>
</center>

Another thing I noticed, you don't need to close paragraph tags. And you don't need to insert line breaks between paragraphs, they happen naturally.

Good job for hand-coding it all. ::agrees::  
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Menatus

Nohcnonk

Quotenewbie: a new player to the game. Usually has the negative connotation that the player is ignorant, unskillful, or annoying.
Should be...

newbie: a new player to the game.
n00b: a name usually used for calling a player ignorant, unskillful, or annoying (not necessarily a new player).  Also commonly used by people (and even noobs) to try and make themselves look good.

^_^

The Lady Shael

I did try using the align="center" attribute in the tag, but it didn't work, for some weird reason, so I took it out. I'll try it again though, maybe it works now.

Also, those particular paragraphs are displayed as inline elements, so the natural breaks don't apply. And yeah, I'm just used to putting the closing paragraph element, because in my HTML course we're required to use the W3 validator to make sure it's valid HTML and stuff.

Tania: ^_^

[edit] Tried putting align="center" back in...didn't work.

Peace Alliance

you forgot to put RWL's GREATEST empress, which is, of course... ME!

lol

Gen. Volkov

LOL. You also forgot cows.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Aqualis

In that case, if there is not special reason why those paragraphs are specifically made inline elements:

p.link {
text-align:center;
}

--- and ---
<p class="link"><a href="http://www.redwallwarlords.com/">Back to Main Site</a><br>
<a href="http://www.redwallwarlords.com/forums">Back to RWL Forums</a></p>

That gets them centered on my comp.

[EDIT: Possibly add the "Poll for a Prize" things to you list of dictionary terms. There are quite a few of them floating around.]

~the mighta awualis

Veranor

Quote from: AqualisAnother thing I noticed, you don't need to close paragraph tags.
XHTML says you should. And isn't
deprecated?
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

Aqualis

Maybe, it's been a while since I've checked.

I know XHTML does; I made sure that it was just plain HTML before I said that.

~the mighta awualis

Veranor

Quote from: AqualisMaybe, it's been a while since I've checked.

I know XHTML does; I made sure that it was just plain HTML before I said that.
But it doesn't hurt for her to have it there... and wouldn't it be better just to conform with XHTML?
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

Aqualis

No, it doesn't hurt, I just haven't gotten around to learning XHTML yet. I just pointed that out because it's unneccisary in plain HTML.

And, yes, the center tag is deprecated.

~the mighta awualis

Germania

Learn to use XHTML & CSS and you'll save a lot of time.