Where do we stop?

Started by Gen. Volkov, November 22, 2004, 11:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

Where do we stop on swear words? I had a post that had a word that I don't think is offensive at all that was either edited by a filter, or edited by an Admin. Now I realize that most swear words shouldn't be allowed.. but the question is where do we stop?? Can we use no expletives? How do we express that feeling that an expletive expresses? I think this is ridiculous already, and limits should be set before it gets anymore that way. I know I don't want to live in a world were I can't use ANY expletives on this forum! Next thing you know OMG will be edited because its deemed offensive to Christians!
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

wolf bite

Most of the words in the filters are those used to insult people, few are religious based. There really is only about 15 words in the filter, people just keep using those a lot. I think there are plenty of expletives that can be used that don?t fall into the list.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Gen. Volkov

Well Ok. But I still don't it qualifies. Its c word used by children and the only name you can call people with it is something used by children. (blanky)head! Come on... I think thats just a bit ridiculous.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

wolf bite

Hey! I don?t make the rules! --- Oh wait, I do. Ah, never mind. Hehe

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

windhound

www.dictionary.com
there's a thesaurus built in ^_^
use it if you're have difficulties with words

and also, the c, f, etc. words are so unoriginal and unimaginative...
"Your mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elderberries" is an awesome insult, unlike f. you
or, since this is /Redwall/ warlords,
"Yer mother was a rabbit and yer father smelt of strawberry cordial!"
or the common 'you are rat dung' works well too

:lol:  
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Aqualis

Uncreative isn't a reason not to allow us to use a word. Some shouldn't be allowed, yes, but not all the ones that are banned now. I blame Ad for that.
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Gen. Volkov

Yes I understand that some words shouldn't be allowed.... I already said that in my first post... the one I'm talking about is hardly offensive at all, and while I admit its uncreative, its not normal for people my age to use either, mostly CHILDREN use it. But whatever. It wasn't even to insult anyone, I need no help from uncreative expletives for that, I can insult quite well when I want too. And no I'm not having trouble with words windy. *Glower* I assure you that my vocabulary is quite large. I was just trying to express a general feeling of disgust and dissapointment in one word.

Darn you AD! Take off a few words!

Darn you Wolf! You rule monkey! Make better ones! Change the word filter!
Hehe!
Ok done now.

DemonSlavers

yes this is outrageous even **(Pooooooooop)** is chaged to outhouse.  How is that offensive
allo i am Demonslavers.  Feel welcome to P.M me anytime

Aim: Babylocke991

Email: Lockedapimp12@yahoo.com

The # 1 Turbo Playa'

Riverpaw

There's a "c" word?  :blink:  Well, giant neon sign with words: "sheltered life".
I am back. First to notice gets a cookie...

*ten years later*

Oh.

wolf bite

There are a bunch of c words. Lets not list them. But the one he was talking about was not a real bad one, and one I am sure you know. It now changes to ?outhouse? and it used to change to ?big fish? because the word kind of sounds like a type of fish. But no one got the joke so I changed it to outhouse, which is what the word really means.

The word debatably comes from a plumber, who had a toilet manufacturing company when few people had indoor pluming, his name was Thomas Crapper. People used to ask if they could "use the crapper."

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

Ashyra Nightwing

Pooop is filtered. (outhouse).

o.O

Methinks that is going a little too far.

Arguia Zsah

:lol:

Some of us just call people 'shrubs' *looks at Aqualis*

Lol.

I think the word filters do go over the top   fun, you garbage infested excuse for a hard baked Peruvian cheeseball!!! :lol:  :lol:  :D  

Sonoras

If we took off filter, Josh would come and start swearing at everyone.

Riverpaw

Quote from: SonorasIf we took off filter, Josh would come and start swearing at everyone.
He's... not... banned... ?  :blink:  
I am back. First to notice gets a cookie...

*ten years later*

Oh.

RazorClaw

(junk), (behind), (outhouse), fart, feces, are all words that shouldn't be on the filters.