Where do we stop?

Started by Gen. Volkov, November 22, 2004, 11:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashyra Nightwing

Yep. He's banned. But he always seems to get around these bans..

RazorClaw

Oh, wait, some of those have been removed from the filters... And I think Josh'll probably circumvent his ban again once he's bored and wants to mess up the game again.

Gen. Volkov

Even when he's been IP banned, he gets around it, and despite his claims to the contrary, he is quite proficient with Prom code. *Remember's incident where Josh helped Joe fix a bug in Hack.* I dunno.. he's a strange guy.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Aqualis

He doesn't like Retto, which is why he constantly attacks this game.
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

RazorClaw

Back to swear words, the filters need to edit in context. Like, if I say, the (behind) end of a gun, it's edited. If I say isn't it on the IGM it interprets the last letter of "isn't" and "it" as a swear word.  

Guthorm Swordmaster

It goes a bit far

Have you seen how many accounts he creates just to have a go at people?Theres tons of them.

Gen. Volkov

Yes. The word filter definitely needs to be changed. And I can take this topic whereever I want Razorclaw. I started it! LOL.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Veranor

In conclusion, the filters are easily owned (for anyone who saw this post).
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

windhound

-.-
*wonders why p o o p is filtered*
(outhouse)!

oh dung.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Vengerak

Ad's rules were (are) totally moronic.  I remember a time Ad seriously considered banning words like "heck" and "darn" because they were used in much the same way as "he||" and "d4mn".  Banning words created specifically to be non-offensive versions of words that aren't offensive anyway?  What the Tartarus is up with that?

wolf bite

People can always get around the filters, there is only about 20 words that are filtered and putting ?*? in almost any word will get by. We don?t have the AI to make it filter by content. But I think that unless you drop something on your foot and yell out a swearword, there is always a more educated word that can be used. Finding those words and getting used to using them will make everyone better respected in the community in which you live.

Besides, your elected President and VP will have a say in making changes and we will test those changes.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Trident

I know the in-game filters are going kind of crazy.  If two words spell out a bad word, you can't say it.  I remember trying to telling somebody that they sound "as stupid..." and even though there's a space between the two words, it was still considered swearing and it wouldn't let me send the message.  That's the only problem I have.  Besides, how important is it for you guys to use language like kids do?  If you want to insult somebody, learn to hold your tongue.  Otherwise you join the ranks of kids who think bad words solve their problems.  Grow up.  If you must get it across to somebody that you really hate them, there's always email and instant message.  Otherwise, this isn't a "prove your dislike for others" type of boards.  

In other words, live with it.  If using clean language isn't your thing, then you shouldn't be here.  

If you have a problem with anything I said, talk to me on MSN or AIM.  If it pleases you to miff off on me, I'll gladly block you.

Gen. Volkov

Trident... read the VERY first post in this topic. Mine... its about expletives. I wasn't using a bad word at all.. unless you consider p o o p a curse word. It just irritated me that I couldn't use it all. This wasn't about insults, if I want to do that I can find way more creative ways than cursing. I just think that the word filter goes a little far, especially when I wasn't using the word to insult, just express a general feeling of frustration and annoyance. Now yes I admit there are prolly better words to use.. but when you are annoyed you generally can't think of them on the spot. And anyway... there are very few words that people readily recognize that express that particular feeling as well as p o o p does. And hey, at least i'm not saying sh*t. Or using either word as an insult. Besides, p o o phead is rather childish anyway.

Nohcnonk

I agree with Trident.  I don't really care if you can't say certain words, as long as you can type normally.  Things like "as stupid" and "assassin" and others should be allowed.  I tried to send a link in-game and it didn't like me saying com because it was silimlar to an innapropriate word.  Even if Retto has to remove the bad on certain words, human detection will work fine in preventing them from being used.

Ashyra Nightwing

I've found that you can't actually send a message in-game with a .com website address in it. O.o