Computer Help

Started by windhound, September 30, 2004, 11:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windhound

Ok..  I think there may be a few people who could explain this to me, if you could I'd appriciate it ^_^

ok, when I open my computer, double click the C: drive, and it shows all the files supposingly it is showing me the contents of my C: drive, so I told it to select all and right clicked and selected properties, which should show me the file size of all the files on my comp, right?
yet, when I right click the C: drive and select the properties, it gives me a different number...

so I've got 7 gigs that are somehow hidden.. how's this?

A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

wolf bite

Do you have a "D drive" that you dont know about? Your hard drive could be split into more then one that shows under "my computer."

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

caedo caelestis

Do a quick check with scandisk and set windows explorer to show all hidden files; then try it again.

Kilkenne

Defragment. It's all about defragging.

Dunno if it'll help, but I enjoy just letting it do something productive like that when I sleep. Try it.

Devari

Eh.

My drives do it as well. No big problem.

Funny that A+, Server+, and Microsoft NEVER covered this...

windhound

*defragments*
*looks for scandisk*  is that in XP?  I cant find it for some reason...

*yawneth*
thanks yall, I geuss I'll just have to live with 7 missing gigs..  if I have time later I may track it down..  cant be that hard to find if it's mostly in one place...
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

bjornredtail

Perhaps it's filesystem overhead, ie, that stuff the OS keeps around to keep track of your stuff...

As far as error checking goes, open up the properties screne of the disk/drive you wish to check for errors, then go to the Tools tab. It ought to be right under there.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Germania

They call it Error-Checking in Windows XP I guess...under the tools tab in the properties popup box.

If you're still missing 7 gig with hidden files/show system files on, its a good chance theres a corrupted partition table. Used to have the problem all the time in win9x. Explorer incorrectly showed free space. Might not apply to XP, unless your still using FAT32 instead of NTFS.

windhound

I've got it showing all files, but still is hiding somthin..  
I'm 'only' missing right now 4.4 gigs, so I think the 'Disk checker' did somthing..  

what I had wanted to do before but forgot to do was to get Norton's Partitian Magic and partition the operating system from the rest of my files..  I really wish I had done it, but..  I've got everything setup the way I want it and moving everything would be a bit of a pain..  I still may do it..  donno..  

ah well..  what I'd really like to do is get the 80 gig drive..  but I checked at IBM and they want 250 some dollars for theirs..  donno if I want to pay that much...

oh, yeah, and IBM has their little 7 gig or so partition on my harddrive, it's hidden..  but it only leaves me with 32 out of close to 40 gigs of drive space to begin with..  XP takes up close to 4ish..  so then..  bleah..  I'll have to delve into my files..  there's no way I have that much already..  eh, well.. about 2 gigs is just in music files..  but..  *goes off to look for the rest*

Germania

Thats probably the IBM recovery option then. Incase of system failure you can do a recover mode at startup right after POST.

Western Digital Caviar 2500JB 250gb, 8MB, 8.6ms, 7200rpm, ATA 100 $212.95
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 200.0gb, 8MB, 8.5ms, 7200rpm, ATA -100 $157.97

Those are two 200+gb drives for under your $250 IBM solution. Those are in Canadian funds and are quite a bit cheaper with the exchange rate.

Here is an 80gig drive just for comparison...

Barracuda 7200.7 - 80.0gb, 2MB, 8.5ms, 7200rpm, ATA -100 $77.97  

Stop wasting your time with IBM.

Veranor

Yeah really, you shouldn't be paying more than a dollar or so a gigabyte.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?cat...talog=14&DEPA=1
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

windhound

yes..  but will thoes HDDs fit a Thinkpad T-42 laptop?    I know desktop harddrives are easily swapable, but I'm not sure about laptops...
*shrugs*

Germania

Oh...It's a laptop.

In that case your on your own.

The lost space could be page file, hibernation, standby mode memory dumps etc... since I now know it's a laptop.