Holographic Versatile Disc

Started by Aqualis, August 29, 2004, 08:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorClaw

And if you want the football player precision, it's got lotsa mebr- nemo- um, stuff, on it. Actually, I play football, but I'm the only smart kid who does...

Veranor

Quote from: windhoundO.o
there reaches a point where internet speed no longer matter..  if it's the difference between a 3 second and a 1 second download, then who /really/ cares?

on the otherhand..  terabyte..  much spiffy...  *wants a terabyte hardrive to replace his 40gig*
If you can download a full sized movie in under a minute, digital movie rentals + purchase, video games, there's a lot of stuff you can do.  
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

windhound

digital movie /rentals/ could really never work..  unless you could somehow program into them to delete after 2 days..  and make them so you couldnt burn them to a disk..  
buying, however, would be very nice..  especially if they can start fitting more gigs on a disk..  movies eat up harddrive space incredibly fast if you have a small harddrive..  external harddrives are nice, but it told me that I'm not allowed to transfer a file that's more than 4 gigs to it..  so meh..  
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Veranor

Quote from: windhounddigital movie /rentals/ could really never work..  unless you could somehow program into them to delete after 2 days..
I believe that's what microsoft is trying to do with its DRM. Anyways, what would you really put on it? I mean, I probably wouldn't even be able to fill it.  
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

windhound

my first windows-running computer was a compaq with a celeron processor (great computer) and it had a 6 gig hard drive..  I thought I'd never fill it up..  but, now movies are about the size of that harddrive..  as technology advances so does the storage need..
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

RazorClaw

Have a decaying file... Or a web link that expires after two days and only opens with payment...

Veranor

Quote from: windhoundmy first windows-running computer was a compaq with a celeron processor (great computer) and it had a 6 gig hard drive..  I thought I'd never fill it up..  but, now movies are about the size of that harddrive..  as technology advances so does the storage need..
Woah now. Wait a minute. How do you know movies weren't always really big like that? How much bigger could movies have gotten? The actual MOVIE not any side content or nonsense. I don't think they have scaled with technology. Let's take an example.

Suppose you have 200gb of hd space (which isn't that crazy), and assuming movies are 4 gb (I have no idea, working with your approximate numbers). You could fit 50 movies. You're kidding yourself if you thought you could EVER have fit that many movies on a 6gb hard drive. Another point is, yes I realize that things take up more and more space all the time, but if this comes out anytime soon (say in 5 years [I doubt it] ) it would be reaaaally big. Maybe it would replace the back-up tape if it wasn't that expensive/relatively a quick burn.

Also, if files are getting bigger (thus the need for a terabyte disc) then they are at the same time increasing the need for faster internet connections. If we work with your numbers again, and the 4 gb movie expands to be 1 terabyte, and we can get the current movie in a couple of seconds, we could simply get on Aim v40 or Joogle
and send it over direct connect.

Anyways, they're both ridiculous right now, however I'd say the terabyte disc is more ridiculous. (If you split that 10Gbps pipe over an xbox, ps2, and 3 computers, you would still have incredible speeds). And the difference is not "from 3 seconds to just 1 second" it' more like "from 1 hour to just 35 seconds with the best of the best today (which most of us probably don't even have)"

Besides, how many of your old-school cars can play a holographic disc XD.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and with a 10Gbps pipe, you could host your own website on your machine at home and probably never have an issue. (Ok, you can do that now, but some ISPs get all hissy pissy about it sometimes.)
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org