Set your books free!

Started by wolf bite, August 20, 2004, 01:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf bite

I was at the train station and I saw a book with a sticky note on it:

?I?m FREE! I?m not lost! Please pick me up. Read me, and help with my journey!?

The Book is a top seller called the ?Digital Fortress? by Dan Brown that wrote The Da Vinci Code.

Inside the book is a bookmarker that talks about an organization that tracks the journey of books that are freely left for others to find. I registered on their web site. After I read the book and leave it someplace and that person registers that they found it, I will get emails telling me about the journeys this book will take.

The site also sells stickers and bookmarks from $17 to $50 so I can start setting my books on my shelf free.

BookCrossing.com

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Veranor

That's pretty neat. Also something similar that is cool is:

Where's George - Dollar Bill Tracker
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

windhound

neato..

though, I wonder how they make sure somone doesnt keep the book..  if people pick them up, dont bother to register them, and put the books on their bookshelves, who would know?

Where's George is rather spiffy too..  *goes off to try*
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Juby (Tercios)

Real Betis? ? -? ? Tottenham Hotspurs? ? -? ? Partizan Beograd? ? -? ? Hannover 96

Veranor

Quote from: windhoundneato..

though, I wonder how they make sure somone doesnt keep the book..  if people pick them up, dont bother to register them, and put the books on their bookshelves, who would know?
You don't. I mean, I suppose it would be frustrating if someone went against the spirit of the program but people probably do it anyways, and you couldn't stop it.
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

windhound

*nods*
I just read the FAQ..  

what's really funny is that there are atleast 20 books floating around NCSU's campus..  I'll have to keep my eye out for them..

Edit:  http://bookcrossing.com/hunt/1/36/19695/tr...arolina-Raleigh
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

The Lady Shael

Hm, this is the first time I've heard of that, but it's a pretty neat idea. I got one of those Where's George dollar bills once, but I don't remember what I did with it. I think we registered it, but we forgot all about it.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Myrhakel

I've heard of it before. It's a neat idea but I wouldn't like the thought of one of my books going to someone I don't know who might treat it badly. Besides, books are too expensive these days just to leave for anyone to find.  
The man
Of virtuous soul commands not, nor obeys:
Power, like a desolating pestilence,
Pollutes whate'er it touches, and obedience,
Bane of all genius, virtue, freedom, truth,
Makes slaves of men, and, of the human frame,
A mechanised automaton.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

user posted image

Veranor

Quote from: MyrhakelI've heard of it before. It's a neat idea but I wouldn't like the thought of one of my books going to someone I don't know who might treat it badly. Besides, books are too expensive these days just to leave for anyone to find.
But I mean, isn't that the whole point? Most people don't read their books more than once or twice or three times, and so it's saving someone else money. I mean, if everyone did it, it would be like a library everywhere, which would be really neat. Of course, probably not going to happen.
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

Kilkenne

*Hoards free books*

*Sneaky glances*

Nah, kidding, I think it's a good idea...*Considers leaving some of his books lying around*

Myrhakel

Quote from: VeranorBut I mean, isn't that the whole point? Most people don't read their books more than once or twice or three times, and so it's saving someone else money. I mean, if everyone did it, it would be like a library everywhere, which would be really neat. Of course, probably not going to happen.
Yes. So why not just use the library?
The man
Of virtuous soul commands not, nor obeys:
Power, like a desolating pestilence,
Pollutes whate'er it touches, and obedience,
Bane of all genius, virtue, freedom, truth,
Makes slaves of men, and, of the human frame,
A mechanised automaton.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

user posted image

Nohcnonk

Quote from: MyrhakelYes. So why not just use the library?
Good point.  But if you have nothing better to do with your books, go ahead...

wolf bite

It is right that rarely does anyone read a book more then once and having it sit on a bookshelf is a waste of what others could enjoy.

I think that finding a book could promote literacy in that someone that may not often pick up a book would have one handed to him or her.  Also the library does not have recently released books. And even further it is a great way to let others enjoy a book that you enjoyed that they may not have picked themselves. If is not like I would leave an old math textbook out. Hehe

Note: I joined under the name of wolfbite and have already gotten a letter from the guy that left the book hoping that I enjoy it as much as he did.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Nohcnonk

Hmm...  Some people, including teens, would be more likely to take a book that was free than to check one out from the library. XD And the whole "bringing people together" and communication is definately cool. ^_^

Holby

That's cool! Actually, when I did the Australian Schools English Competition earlier this year, there was a page of information and questions on it. Sounded neat, but I couldn't remember the URL.
I will not deleted this