Unworthy Stanley Cup Winners?

Started by RazorClaw, June 08, 2004, 09:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorClaw

I have been following Calgary all season, so perhaps this is a bit biased. Heres a comparison of the two teams' (Lightning and Flames') plights. Tampa bay, for the first two rounds, gets pretty much the crappiest teams in the playoffs. Then, they almost fail against Philedalphia, a team with some actual talent. Calgary, in the first round, beats Stanley Cup favorites Vancouver Canucks. Then, they beat Stanley Cup favorites Detroit Red Wings. After these two teams are eliminated, the NEW Stanley Cup favorite, San Jose Sharks, are beaten by Calgary. Now, the series for the Stanley Cup, between Calgary and Tampa, is held, and Calgary wins it in game six. HOWEVER, there was a goal that the referee missed because he was out of position. The cruddy NHL Officials, who had shown in the past that they were biased against Calgary, said no goal. Even though, on the TV replay, it was obviously a goal from two angles. So, Tampa ends up winning that game and the next one Calgary plays like crud 'til the Third Period. I don't believe that Tampa really deserved the Cup myself, whata are your thoughts???

Nohcnonk

Nah, but sports can't always be fair, and they /did/ get lucky enough...

Wildwood

QuoteHOWEVER, there was a goal that the referee missed because he was out of position.

NHL proved that that was defenately not a goal.  And how can you say they got lucky, Tampa outplays the Flames, it is as simple as that.
Apparently people are getting angry at me for having too long of a sig. when all you have to do is press three buttons to not veiw someone else's sig. if you do not want to see it so I no longer have one *grumble* lazy people *grumble*.  Whew! Run on sentence.

Oh big fish I took out the pictures.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Lol big fish is the word for cr.p
user posted image

~>John<~

It wasn't a goal, sory. Them's the breaks
Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Death Eater

Even if it was a goal, Calgary had plenty of opportunities to prove they were the better team. They had the rest of that game, plus they had an entire game 7. Tampa Bay were deservant winners.

One of the X factors was goaltending. Khabbibulin proved to be much better than the ordinary Kiprosoff, as personally, I was not impressed with this Calgary goaltender. He may have set the record for GAA in the regualr season, but the playoffs, in clutch situations, is where a goalies truth worth and talent shines through. The game 6 winning OT goal was a horrible play by Kiprosoff, and in game 7, he wasn't as sharp as he should've been.

Those are my comments. As soon as the Leafs were out, I really stopped following hockey in as much depth, but I still watched the finals as an outsider
user posted image

IFman

Why do they keep score, why not just let them play it, no one really cares who wins

except the coaches...

That goal should have counted, calgary won in my oppinion
I'm so tired of being lost in a world,
Where no one can find me.
I want to break free of the cage,
That has been enclosing me for too long.
I know that I am alone and no one will save me,
So I am to escape for myself.
I wander down a path,
That will go on for eternity.
I shall never reach the end,
I am trapped no matter where I go.
Though I finally manage to reach the end,
I must fight the monster inside of me to pass.
It is filled with so much anger, hate, and despair,
The only antidote is love, courage, and hope.
The three things I do not have,
And never will.
It is there that I give up,
I have nothing left but myself.
So I lay down forever,
Never going to get up again...as I fade away from all existence.

Juby (Tercios)

Bah, we have the mens and womens olympic hockey golds, Canada by way of calgary should have gotten the stanley cup agian, we haven't gotten it up here since Montreal *shakes fist towards Tampa Bay, Well let you see our olympic golds if you give us the cup*
Real Betis? ? -? ? Tottenham Hotspurs? ? -? ? Partizan Beograd? ? -? ? Hannover 96

Wolf Snare

Quote from: Wildwood
NHL proved that that was defenately not a goal.  And how can you say they got lucky, Tampa outplays the Flames, it is as simple as that.
Well said. Tampa shone through.

I had money riding on that game (and the philly series), and I knew they would win (again).  
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

calria

I think it's cool that a team in a tropical-ish place won.

Not that I actually follow sports, or even approve of their existance on this planet, but still...

Garagas Ledavas

I live near Tampa and was at Game 7........:P so here are my reasons why Calgary lost.

1. Headhunting - they caused stupid penalties in the final minutes of games in which they were losing by 1

2.Not enough talent  - face it, Tampa is a more talented team.

3. Jarome Iginla shut down in games 6-7 - Tampa held him to 2 shots in the 1st and 2nd periods of game 6, and he had no shots in the 3rd period of game 6 and all of game 7.

4. The Bulin wall  :P

And btw, you complain about that one goal, yet Calgary got back into game 7 on a bogus penalty on the Lightning.....so it evens out. ;)
Reg- Garagas Ledavas #248

Turbo-Garagas Ledavas II #139

Former Reg. Accounts-

Garagas Ledavas #152 - 10

Darth Bane #47 - Emperor

Former Turbo Accounts-

Garagas Ledavas #168 - 10

Garagas Ledavas #9 - 2

Garagas Ledavas #7 - Emperor

user posted image

RazorClaw

Quote from: Death EaterEven if it was a goal, Calgary had plenty of opportunities to prove they were the better team. They had the rest of that game, plus they had an entire game 7. Tampa Bay were deservant winners.

One of the X factors was goaltending. Khabbibulin proved to be much better than the ordinary Kiprosoff, as personally, I was not impressed with this Calgary goaltender. He may have set the record for GAA in the regualr season, but the playoffs, in clutch situations, is where a goalies truth worth and talent shines through. The game 6 winning OT goal was a horrible play by Kiprosoff, and in game 7, he wasn't as sharp as he should've been.

Those are my comments. As soon as the Leafs were out, I really stopped following hockey in as much depth, but I still watched the finals as an outsider
Ordinary Kipprusoff? *coughbullcrapcough* The Bulin wall got hardly any coordinated shots, he just got solo ones. On the coordinated plays, for the most part, Calgary scored. *sigh* Not Canada vs. America, ppl. Look at the rosters of both teams, count up the American/Canadian players. The NHL didn't deem it no-goal, the NHL officials decided it. Biiiiiiig difference. btw, they'd shown that they were biased vs. Calgary before. The goal (from a few replay angles on my TV) was in by at least 4 inches...

Garagas Ledavas

Now by coordinated would you mean one-timers and whatnot? Because I seem to remember cleary two shots, one a one-timer off of a faceoff in which Khabibulin gloved it extremely quickly (I myself had to see it again in slow-mo to see his glove), or the rebound where Calgary had a wide open net, and Khabibulin went all the way across the crease extremely quickly and made a beautiful kick save?

And btw, of course you say "the NHL wanted us to loose," but in fact, they would have generated more revenue having a Canadian team win. And you know that. (also, I'd say that the NHL wanted the Philadelphia Flyers to win way more than either team, so why weren't they there? eh? :P )
Reg- Garagas Ledavas #248

Turbo-Garagas Ledavas II #139

Former Reg. Accounts-

Garagas Ledavas #152 - 10

Darth Bane #47 - Emperor

Former Turbo Accounts-

Garagas Ledavas #168 - 10

Garagas Ledavas #9 - 2

Garagas Ledavas #7 - Emperor

user posted image

~>John<~

Quote from: calriaI think it's cool that a team in a tropical-ish place won.

Not that I actually follow sports, or even approve of their existance on this planet, but still...
How can you not approve of sports?
Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Juby (Tercios)

Quote from: RazorClawNot Canada vs. America, ppl. Look at the rosters of both teams, count up the American/Canadian players.
I know that regardless of who wins, Canada wins by havig like 60% of hockey players in the League but I want all the championships ot be physically here *shakes fist*
Real Betis? ? -? ? Tottenham Hotspurs? ? -? ? Partizan Beograd? ? -? ? Hannover 96

VinnieOlle

I think neither calgary or tampa should have won. they both are bad. RED WINGS SHOULD BE THE CHAMPS