SLICK SLAYER!!???

Started by Juby (Tercios), April 28, 2004, 05:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juby (Tercios)

The problem I have with it holby, is that it basically says yugoslav killer, If someone says I'm slick, that's fine, but putting it in that fashion makes me very uncomfertable.

edit: To address trogdor:  If their ignorant, then they should stop being ignorant and should change it, if you find out that the n word means this too, then wouldn't you make a conscious effort to use it properly, and their obviously not yugoslavian cause then their name would mean they hate their own people.
Real Betis? ? -? ? Tottenham Hotspurs? ? -? ? Partizan Beograd? ? -? ? Hannover 96

Trogdor 22

It shouldn't, because they didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable.  
Hooray for Santa!
user posted image

Juby (Tercios)

so change, don't say I don't care, address the problem, read my original post, at the start, I'm not mad at them, I want them to change their name, if someone in ignorance wrote n***a for a name I would hope that they would change it when they realized what they had said.
Real Betis? ? -? ? Tottenham Hotspurs? ? -? ? Partizan Beograd? ? -? ? Hannover 96

~>John<~

what about the fact that slick has more then one definition!!!!!!!!!!!!
The people who said that meant "Smooth"
If you understand that, and noone else knows that its a slur, then why is it bad to you? Thy meant Slick as in "I am slick."
While you see it as "yugoslav killer" The rest of us see it as " we are slick [smooth, suave] killers"

This is like the people who complained about the transfiguration class for using the word transfiguration not in a christian sense.
Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Juby (Tercios)

I already addressed that, READ what has been said instead of just talking out of nowhere.

~>John<~

I've read the entire topic Juby. Your saying it's offensive to you. Why if it means smooth? ou don't answer that, cause you love trying to be uber PC>
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

The Lady Shael

*decides to move it to Turbo*

Careful with using certain words in this topic. And keep away from personal attacking. Just a precaution. Or maybe not.  
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Nohcnonk

Er, I agree with Juby here.  If one person is offended, and no one has to be, then why don't they just change it?  It's obviously controversial, but it wouldn't hurt those that think Juby is wrong if they changed it, and it would help out those who are being offended.

~>John<~

Because they
1. Have free speech
2. They wEren't trying to offend anyone.
3.I'm offended if Juby runs his Pc down everyones throats.

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Amoraq

It can't be that hard to change it can it? All you got to do is talk to the people of that clan and the admins and they will change it. And if they don't change it than take this to Aim or in-game messages. I'm sure they didn't try offend anybody. Really kinda of stupid to post this in the forums why you could just ask the people in-game.
~~Windclaw the Mighty~~

-Windpaw's Pack-

~Vuur Draak af~

Highist rank 1st

~~~Guroum~~~
Apollo 13, leader of the 13 round of turbo
user posted image

windhound

Quote from: ~>John<~Because they
1. Have free speech
2. They wEren't trying to offend anyone.
3.I'm offended if Juby runs his Pc down everyones throats.
1- so can I go around calling everyone bad names and offending their mothers?
nope.  I see no differnce with this situation

2- are you Sure?  did you create the clan?  odds are good that it was unintentional, but, you can never tell..  and assuming is never good..  for many reasons..

3- well, you're kinda doin the same..  butting heads isnt helping..  you both have different views, which you both have stated over and over and over again..  stating your opinions one more time wont change anything..

and nope, it's the clan name, tag is a bit harder, but clan name is very easy to change..  just ask them to change it to somthin like smooth slayers or somthin..  or does that mean somthin else too?  it's getting so that harmless words can become loaded too easily..
meh!
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Juby (Tercios)

here's how I addressed it earlier John "The problem I have with it holby, is that it basically says yugoslav killer, If someone says I'm slick, that's fine, but putting it in that fashion makes me very uncomfertable."
and It's not getting PC, people don't say it in that tense very often anymore because it's been deemed as wrong, it's an older slur, this isn't a new problem where we just decided it offends us, it's an entrenched slur.  This is a censored forum, free speech doesn't apply, we are all subject to admin, I don't think I should have to see a racial slur against my people every time I play turbo.  I already said that I realize they weren't trying to offend me, but they did, ignorance is not a viable excuse for racism, you get told about the problem, you are no longer ignorant and you stop doing it and fix the damage.  Just because they are not trying to offend someone doesn't mean it's okay, I am offended regardless of their intentions,  Do something, also I did not want to contact them in game cause I had a suspicion they were going to get upset over it (like John) and quite possibly make fun of it, if they don't know what slick meant, they may just shrug it off and say I'm stupid cause i don't like being racially ridiculed, i'd prefer it to be in a public forum were it can be open and people will be less brash and more concilliatory.

wolf bite

Seems to me that there are a lot of different names people can pick for a clan. If one is harmful to a person, even with no intent to be so, it seems easy to change to something else.

But then there is going to far with things.

It would seem to me that if the maker of the clan has a different meaning that he could reasonably have meant, then there is no harm done.

Long ago in Santa Barbara California a guy opened a restaurant and called it Sambos. Sambo was a kid?s story about a boy from India that was being chased around a tree by a tiger until the tiger turned to butter. A great name for a pancake house.  It took off and there was Sambo restaurants across the country. Seems the black community (African American) decided that it was a slur on blacks and picketed every one of their stores across the country. Sambo went bankrupt. All the different owners of the different stores lost all their money, all the investors lost their money, and people like me lost a really good pancake house. The point being that the founder never had any intent to do more then have a cute Indian storybook character as his restaurant logo. The blacks were upset that a white person would have a dark skinned logo (even if from India not Africa).

Sooo ....

Juby, don't jump to conclusions without more facts.

Clan leader, if there was not a different meaning that you had, then change the name.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Peace Alliance

If you called a clan crispy crackers, i wouldn't be mad.

Juby, its alright to be offended if they are making a racial slur. I certainly am. But its not a racial slur unless thats the entention of the word, I'm pretty sure its clear these guys don't mean to be racist.

General Austin

Juby, I beleive your reasons for posting it on the forums instead of politely informing them in-game are...strange.

Even if you were thinking that they were going to get upset over it, make fun of it, etcetera, that's no reason to not try. Complaining about something like this in the forums seems to me like you just wanted to pick a fight. I have come to this conclusion because

1. Even if everyone in these forums agreed with you, there would STILL be the problem of their clan name, unless the admins decided it was extremely serious and changed the clan themselves.

2. You did not even try to talk to them in the first place, when you knew John, and several others, liked to argue with you and would most likely take this opportunity to "debate" hotly.

My suggestiong is, MESSAGE them. Even if they refuse, you now have a good reason for coming to this forum and complaining/"debating"/stating your concern about a potentially insulting name or word within someone's clan title that you feel is disrespectful to your race and/or heritage which you would like changed immediately, or the soonest possible moment in time which would be convenient for all involved.

And, just so you know, I HAVE READ THE TOPIC.

QuoteI did not want to contact them in game cause I had a suspicion they were going to get upset over it (like John) and quite possibly make fun of it, if they don't know what slick meant, they may just shrug it off and say I'm stupid cause i don't like being racially ridiculed, i'd prefer it to be in a public forum were it can be open and people will be less brash and more concilliatory.
In God I trust, and in Him alone shall I put my faith.