SLICK SLAYER!!???

Started by Juby (Tercios), April 28, 2004, 05:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juby (Tercios)

I don't know if the people in this clan realize this but Slick is a racial slur for yugoslavs.  As a yugoslav I'm very offended to see a clan that's name basically means Yugoslav killer.  I would like them to change their clan name.

edit: sorry wrong forum, their a clan in turbo.
Real Betis? ? -? ? Tottenham Hotspurs? ? -? ? Partizan Beograd? ? -? ? Hannover 96

Trogdor 22

I'm not sure many people know that slick is a racial slur. Maybe they meant they were smooth killers. Did you talk to their leader?
Hooray for Santa!
user posted image

Juby (Tercios)

no, but regardless it has to be changed, even if it's not how they mean it, it's a slur staring me in the face and multiple members have put slick slayer in their horde name so a fair amount of admin tinkering is needed to smooth it over.
Real Betis? ? -? ? Tottenham Hotspurs? ? -? ? Partizan Beograd? ? -? ? Hannover 96

~>John<~

Actually I think your staring at the thing on the back of it's t-shirt when it's turned away from you.

Slick used in one form while offensive doesn;t mean you can't say it. I am a slick killer, suave and smooth, is how they could be using it. Political Correctness is Ridiculous, just ask if they meant it that way and if they didn't then let em be
Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Juby (Tercios)

what if the n-word meant handsome and a clan called themeselve n-word killers? would that be acceptable, I think not, Do I call my clans Honky or Cracker this or that, no, so I expect the same in return.

~>John<~

would be acceptable if clear they didn't mean a disrespectful word for blacks. Even though its hardly disrespectful any more, c'mon.

And, on top of that, since many black people refer to themselves that way, what about the N-Word killers used to we are all n-word, and we are killers.

For example, the slick killers being a bunch of Yugoslavians
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Trogdor 22

John raised slightly the same point I was gonna make. For example, if someone who's proud of their african american heritage starts a clan called "The Niggas", then there is nothing wrong with that. ( nigga is a term of endearment among african americans)
The slick slayers have every right to keep thier clan name, even if one person misinterpreted it.
Hooray for Santa!
user posted image

~>John<~

Thanks. Simply just cause one word means that doesn't mean you can't use other definitions. Also check my edit above, I added some stuff.

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Juby (Tercios)

ARE YOU CRAZY?  Just cause that's what the rappers do doesn't mean it reflects african americans as a group, it is not a term of endearment, it's slang but just like calling a woman, even your girlfirend bi**h, and either way, white people shouldn't be saying it because coming from them it has a condescending context, If an african american tells you don't you dare call him that or even say that, as most would, you wouldn't say, whatever N***er.  I am saying it offends me, it is a word used by white people to call my people inferior, you may not call me that and if you say it around me, it makes me feel VERY uncomfertable.

Aqualis

Who comes up with this stuff? It's not like they did it specifically to make you mad. I'm with John, I bet they don't even know it's a slur. It's minor thing. Suck it up.
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

Juby (Tercios)

read my original post, I said they may not have known, but I want it changed.

Trogdor 22

Quote from: Juby (Tercios)ARE YOU CRAZY?  Just cause that's what the rappers do doesn't mean it reflects african americans as a group, it is not a term of endearment, it's slang but just like calling a woman, even your girlfirend bi**h, and either way, white people shouldn't be saying it because coming from them it has a condescending context, If an african american tells you don't you dare call him that or even say that, as most would, you wouldn't say, whatever N***er.  I am saying it offends me, it is a word used by white people to call my people inferior, you may not call me that and if you say it around me, it makes me feel VERY uncomfertable.
"Nigga" and "Nigger" are two different words. Nigga, if used among african americans, is usually a term of endearment. I know this because I have many african american friends, have seen many famous african american stars, who acknowledge that, coming from someone of their own race, nigga is an acceptable word. Nigger, on the other hand, is a racial slur. If the people the racial slur refers to don't have any problem with that racial slur, then it can hardly be considered offensive.
Hooray for Santa!
user posted image

Juby (Tercios)

Trogdor, it is not a term of endearment, it is based out of the other word, also if you talked to most of the people who say it they would agree that YOU as a white person can't say it because from you it reflects a condescending position as superior to them, if they want to use that word among themselves and flip they meaning to the word all the power too them and if they want to say you can't say that word, all the power too them because that is a small price you pay in losing one word of free speech to make u for generations of racism.  Your little friends don't represent the african american community nor do actors, you want to know the african american position ask their leaders like Louis Farrakhan or Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, find out what their stance is, talking about your freinds and actors is like going to brad pitt or your neighbour on whether people should be saying Honky.  I can tell you one thing, my cousins who are half somalian and half yugoslavian would give you an earful and tell you off if you said N***a OR slick, thus negating your whole my friends say it because my FAMILY says otherwise.

Holby

It's not what you say, but how you say it. You don't like the term, I can understand that. But when you know it has nothing to do with you and not meant in that form, there should be no problem and nothing to be uncomfortable about.
It looks like you just want to go on a rampage about something, enter a fight for your culture just for the heck of it or to prove what it "means" to you. No reason to get riled up about.
I will not deleted this

Trogdor 22

*Whoops, I posted at the same time as Holby, good point.*

Quote from: Juby (Tercios)YOU as a white person can't say it because from you it reflects a condescending position as superior to them, if they want to use that word among themselves and flip they meaning to the word all the power too them
Look, if the Slick Slayers are yugoslavian, or they're ignorant, then they do have the right to use Slick in their clan name! Saying that my african american friends and actors are okay with the use of N**** among thier own kind was just an example, it is generally excepted that N**** is okay for an african american to use.

My main point here is that if someone use a racial slur that refers to thier own race, then their is nothing wrong with that, because they won't mean it in a rude way. Also, if someone is ignorant that it is a racial slur, or didn't mean to use it as a racial slur, then that is also okay. You're being uber-sensitive, making a mountain out of a very, very small mole hill.
Hooray for Santa!
user posted image