What did they come over for?

Started by The Lady Shael, April 12, 2004, 04:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juby (Tercios)

They came for it all, Some wanted land, some wanted gold, that crazy schmuck who was looking for that pool of immortality etc..  Either way, Native Americans got screwed.
Real Betis? ? -? ? Tottenham Hotspurs? ? -? ? Partizan Beograd? ? -? ? Hannover 96

General Austin

Shael, I'd say it was both, but mostly Gold. Y'see, to get settlers to come to America, the Virginia Company had to be pretty slick in their advertising or else no-one would come! So, in order to get settlers they claimed all SORTS of things that the New World had to offer, such as wild grapes everywhere, oranges as bnig as your head, indigenous plants and animals that were as tasty or tastier than European ones, etc. One of the most extravagant claims they made was that GOLD was to be found nearly everywhere in the Colony. One could simply go out to the river with a pan, and be rich by next month! Needless to say, this drew a great many people to the new land, but, sadly, they were almost all greedy, lazy , arrogant rich men who wished only to go out and search for gold. THAT was one of the main reasons why Jamestown nearly failed in the beginning, because no-one would work!

But they also advertised large amounts of land in the Jamestown brochures as well, so that would have been a major reason to go to the New World as well. But mostly I beleive, it was Gold.

(Sorry if some of my facts are incorrect in their dates, I re-enact in the Revolutionary War period, so I have to memorize a ton of facts then and even a few from way back when Jamestown was the first city. I might have gotten the dates wrong..)
In God I trust, and in Him alone shall I put my faith.

Ashyra Nightwing

I think Gold, though I'm not sure...