Role Playing Basics

Started by Trogdor 22, March 16, 2004, 06:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trogdor 22

Yeah, I have never rped before, and probably never will in this forum, but I also go to this other forum where alot of rping takes place, and I'd like to participate. The only problem is that I have never rped before, so, could someone tell any basic rules I need to follow?
Hooray for Santa!
user posted image

Ashyra Nightwing

hm.. no auto-hits. That's hurting another person's character without their permission..

Kueller

My advice:
Make a character.
Make a setting for you character.
Sing Bohemian Rapsidy to ease the stress of creating character.
Eventually, meet other charcters.
Don't play other peoples charcters for them, even in dialouge.
Sing Bohemian Rapsidy in celebration of your success.
"The only difference between a tax man and a
taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin." -- Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you
were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." -- Mark Twain

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to
his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off
with your money."  -- G.  Gordon Liddy

"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a
bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
-- Winston Churchill

I am not a member of the recent group of Star Wars peoples, nor am I copying them.

user posted image

One of my favorite all-time Star Wars scenes (from Darksaber):
Shoot the enemy! Kam Solusar commanded. Reflexively, the gunner followed the order. He fired both heavy laser cannons at full power. The Imperial Juggernaut exploded under its own firepower. Kam Solusar ducked, but the trunk of the Massasi tree shielded him from the flying shrapnel. He shook his head in disgust. "Stupid idiots," he thought, then slipped off to meet another target.

The Lady Shael

I suppose I'm correct in saying, Kueller, that you like Bohemian Rhapsody? ^_^

Specifically for this forum, just try to stay on plot, and nothing un-RWL-like. No god-moding either.  
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Holby

Fort Ruddler's RPing guide. If it's still there.  :(  
I will not deleted this

Kueller

Quote from: The Lady ShaelI suppose I'm correct in saying, Kueller, that you like Bohemian Rhapsody? ^_^

Specifically for this forum, just try to stay on plot, and nothing un-RWL-like. No god-moding either.
It's not that great... NOT!!! So, it's Rhapsody, eh? *makes a note of that*
"The only difference between a tax man and a
taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin." -- Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you
were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." -- Mark Twain

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to
his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off
with your money."  -- G.  Gordon Liddy

"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a
bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
-- Winston Churchill

I am not a member of the recent group of Star Wars peoples, nor am I copying them.

user posted image

One of my favorite all-time Star Wars scenes (from Darksaber):
Shoot the enemy! Kam Solusar commanded. Reflexively, the gunner followed the order. He fired both heavy laser cannons at full power. The Imperial Juggernaut exploded under its own firepower. Kam Solusar ducked, but the trunk of the Massasi tree shielded him from the flying shrapnel. He shook his head in disgust. "Stupid idiots," he thought, then slipped off to meet another target.

Trogdor 22

Quote from: HolbyFort Ruddler's RPing guide. If it's still there.  :(
Where would I find this guide?
Hooray for Santa!
user posted image

Holby

I will not deleted this

Trogdor 22

That guide only applies to Redwall type role playing. Is there any guide for roleplaying in general?
Hooray for Santa!
user posted image

calria

Hmmm... there is one that's great that used to be linked to by an RP Sha ran like, 3 years ago. I'll poke her about it if I remember to.

Basically:
- don't god-mod like the people on the Glory on VI do >.<
- don't be egotistical or all "look-at-meee!" in your posting
- don't have characters who are unbelievable in either their abilities or their physical appearance
- write in third person and in the past tense unless the RP rules specifically say not to.
- be a part of the plot rather than bending the plot to fit you

Cindarin

I have a good set of rules that pretty much sums it all up on www.Homnelands.tk.  Your free to go and take a look at the rules or even sign up if you wish, however I warn you.  Do not be the first to ask me for an example on swearing.  Mainly now that I haven't sworn in a very long time.  That is except for friday night when I was visciously attacked for poking.

Here this link should go directly to the public rule page: Rules.
"Without love life has no meaning." - Joseph Nicholas

"Looks are just an added bonus." - Joseph Nicholas

"Meine Liebe, Mein Leben, Meine Welt." - Joseph Nicholas

user posted image

Lereac

Calria's preeetty much summed it up for general RPing.

Try to stick to past tense writing, or else present tense encased with asteriks (*).  There's several different asterik styles:

*[text]*
*[text]**
**[text]**
**[text]*

Or else you can use semicolons or colons.  Example:
::[text]::
;;[text];;

Otherwise just use past tense.

And just to make it clear - if you're using asteriks or colons, always close them before speaking.  Putting quotation marks is optional.  And if you're just RPing in past tense, without asteriks etc., then always use quotes.  And if you prefer to RP in past tense, but like asteriks etc., then RPing in past tense in asteriks or colons is OK.  But don't RP in present tense without asteriks or colons - it annoys people.

after that fairly long tutorial, that's about it.

calria

...and unless you see other people doing that with the asteriks, I wouldn't reccomend it. Most serious RP sites that I've played on see that as the mark of someone who's been doing MUCK's and MUD's a little too long. Then again, I usually only thrive in uber-correct RPs... there are loads where it IS a generally done thing.

Jc1234512345

Here's some advice: Get a job, get a life, and get a real role play.

Gen. Volkov

Here's some for you, as your mommy obviously never said: If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Jerkoff. And you know what else? You can not respond to something that's 2 years old.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES