Foam weapons

Started by Larrusus Deathspear, February 19, 2004, 04:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larrusus Deathspear

go to http://www.dagorhir.com/HowTo/howto.htm
and look around. They've got directions for how to make not exactly real-looking weapons but safe and fun ones
Jesus Is a LIE
One of my classmates remarked that I "emanate evil"
MY science teahcer thinks i'm a muslim extremist
The mormons came to my house and I told them I worship satan
My neighbour think that I perform evil rituals on my porch when i burn candles
maybe I should run for president......

Regular Era 2
#391 Slasssk Troopers
Regular Era 3
#92   Slazzar Ectalask
#214  Slasssk Troopers
Regular Era 4
#37    Slasssk troopers

Nohcnonk

Hm, we could hire actors to sword play, much fun.

calria

Or we could bring in people who already know how to use them.
Gee... wait... that's people who'll already be there!

Someone needs to add to the activities list Stormy and me's light sabre battle, to which I have challenged him.

We should have fighting teams, and choose team names like the Rapscallions etc from the books, and see who's the fighting champion. Wooden swords are good when you pad them and wrap them in duct tape!

Randag

Hmmm, foam weapons. Not a bad idea.
It would make the a few "danger" issues seem like nothing. Though it may cost a lot to get all the parts, aand find someone with nothing to do for a week or so. But that again is nothing we can't deal with. I'll see how the budget works out, it may be cheaper to just buy foam weapons.

Oh, and you'll probably be seeing me on one of those teams (perhaps we could just do it outside of Con hours, as we may not be able to gather all the people who sword fight at the same time, and it would no doubt be great fun).
Walk With Pride, Protect Like The Night!
Harness Your Potential, Regret Nothing!

"Ash nazg durbatul?k, ash nazg gimbatul
ash nazg thrakatul?k, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul"

RedCon-Forums--- AK_f00 ---RedCon-Website
Destined For Greatness, But Pacing Myself!
You Know Me! You Just Don't Know It Yet!

Nohcnonk

Now that I think of it... foam weapons sounds like a great idea!  I could beat up people that are mean to me ^_^  I do know some real swordplay though... not much.

Holby

Looks like a lot of work!
On the page, scroll down to the link to Al'Kazar's Weapons Pages.
Explore the site a bit, specifically the "Units" link.
hehe.
I will not deleted this

Stormclaw

With some experience in this field- seriously, I kid you not, I make these things on a regular basis, I can tell you this:

First, that boffers (the technical term for a such a safe weapon)  take anywhere from twenty minutes to two hours to build, depending on how complex you want to be and whether you have access to a sewing machine;

Second, that I wouldn't trust those 'Dagorhir' swords and that they're needlessly complex;

Third, that you can buy the materials you need for three good-sized swords for about $18 Canadian at any hardware store, with a side-trip to a fabric or used-clothing store (That's $4 US per sword, approximately);

Fourth, that I've made and tested such weapons- in fact, I gave a friend one for his birthday just yesterday and we went at it hammer and tongs;

Elaborating on point four: They're perfectly safe as long as you AVOID HEAD SHOTS LIKE THE PLAGUE. Other areas sting somewhat in the case of really hard shots, but that's about all. The only- minor- injuries yesterday were when someone- not me, in case you were wondering- accidentally smashed my friend's glasses against his face, causing a nosebleed, and when my friend caught me with a double-handed baseball swing across the side of the head. Slight soreness, there, but that's it.

My point is: These weapons are quite safe; they're cheap; they're easy to make; I can show you how; and I'd be happy to.

The boffer-smith and too-lazy-to-log-in:

Stormclaw

Edit: Dude, my PC logged me in. Is that cool or what?
A Departed Hero...

The First Emperor, Stormclaw, called by history The Noble, Longest-Ruling of the Eight.

Scarwake

Lol, hmmm.....minor stinging, possible nose-bleeds, no other forms of injury yet found...Doesn't seem to harmful, I agree with Stormy, VERY VERY Safe....Oh, and ummm...if we do this....
No head shots- due to bleeding, and major stinging pain
No groin shots on guys(atleast)- due to.....everybody knows why....much pain....

Uhh...yeah, very cheap, fun, foam(can have fun with it by doing something else if one chooses to rip their sword apart) and etc....SAFE
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Randag

You've got the go ahead from me, as you know.

(This post was mainly for those who didn't know that, and who might have tried to persuade me to go with your plan, which I'm glad to).

-Ran!  
Walk With Pride, Protect Like The Night!
Harness Your Potential, Regret Nothing!

"Ash nazg durbatul?k, ash nazg gimbatul
ash nazg thrakatul?k, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul"

RedCon-Forums--- AK_f00 ---RedCon-Website
Destined For Greatness, But Pacing Myself!
You Know Me! You Just Don't Know It Yet!

Skipper

:) There's no way I'm missing this....
*goes off to practice*
Wish I had more people to practice on around here...

KittyCatLover4ever

Foam Weapons...sounds fun.  But what about armor.  We could wear really big iner tubes and smash into each other while battling. I've done it before, and if your not lucky you get sent flying. *lol* Just make sure to have lots of mats around.

Tofu

If foam weapons are going to be in use, it might be well to restrict their usage to those over 12. That might not be a popular idea, but liability could be an issue in case of injuries.

Also, it might be a good idea to purchase some protective glasses, such as you would find at a hardware store, to further avoid injuries to the eyes.  

KittyCatLover4ever

No better yet lets just get waterguns and soak each other.

Scarwake

Ummmm.....no, guns have no appearance in the Redwall Book Series....Therefore, there shall be no guns, thank you come again!
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Ninja

water-ballon slingshots
With a keen eye for detail, one truth will prevail.
                                      ~Detective Jimmy Kuto