Accent on 'happy'...

Started by The Lady Shael, October 30, 2003, 04:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

I won't say which sides me and my teacher are on, because then you'd get biased and completely deteriorate the purpose of this poll.

Just say the word out loud. Which syllable is stessed?

For example, say the word stapler. It's not stapLER, it's STAPler.

We're studying meter and iambic feet, by the way, in case you were wondering.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Gen. Volkov

Its definitely pronounced HA' ppy
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

The Lady Shael

Okay, see, that's what I told her. But my teacher insisted it was DEFINITELY the other way around. Me and one of my friends are still very skeptical, and the rest of the class aren't too bright, and decided to go with what the teacher says.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

Gen. Volkov

Yes.. well most teachers are A) ignorant or stupid.. and B ) Stubborn.. otherwise they wouldn't be teachers... the best and the brightest don't teach in this country.. unless they are college professors.. and even then.... sometimes not.. you are definitely right.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Kilkenne

In Wisconsin/Lower Minnesota/Northern Iowa/Upper Illinois...(Pronounced Wesconsen here.), we don't put emphasis on that word. At all. When I say it it just sounds like both syllables are equal...*shudder*

Abby The Rat

HA'ppy

And I'm deaf......... O.o
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

Domitian

In New York we say happy. Just happy. No HAppy or haPPY. happy.  
 Domitian of the Roman Empire, one of the 11 Emperors.

Riverpaw

Quote from: DomitianIn New York we say happy. Just happy. No HAppy or haPPY. happy.
Ditto, New York traffic drowns out most of the accents anyways. In Memphis where I used to be from, though, it's HA' ppy, though not as much as it would appear from some of the other comments.
I am back. First to notice gets a cookie...

*ten years later*

Oh.

The Lady Shael

Everyone I've talked to so far, bar my English teacher of course, agree that the stress is on the first syllable. She just moved from California this year though, that might be the case...*shrugs*

Riverpaw

Quote from: The Lady ShaelShe just moved from California this year though, that might be the case...*shrugs*
I'll ask Luke, he's from CA.  ^_^
I am back. First to notice gets a cookie...

*ten years later*

Oh.

Luke the Warrior

It's plain old happy in CA, but wash in Sacremento is warsh. Strange huh? Im gonna warsh my clothes. I prefer wash, thanks.

Trajan

Why do you want to make fun of Californians??? This is dumb.

Veranor

Quote from: RiverpawDitto, New York traffic drowns out most of the accents anyways. In Memphis where I used to be from, though, it's HA' ppy, though not as much as it would appear from some of the other comments.
Yep, have to agree here. I'd have to say because we're one of the bigger states, and therefore there are a lot of accents. It kind of gets muddled. I'd still say that perhaps the correct way would be with a SLIGHT accent on the HA of HA' ppy. Though as already said, it's not commonly said either way here.
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

Gen. Volkov

I'm from Indiana.. so I have that real Midwestern accent... I think thats why I stress the HA in happy...

The Weasel Liberation Mov

Up in Canada where I live we just say "happy". I suppose there is a very slight emphasis on the ha bit. So, I voted for HA'ppy...
Highest rank on Regular: 1st
Highest rank on Turbo: 9th