No more post count.

Started by Menatus, October 18, 2003, 04:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menatus

I wrote this on Holby's message, and I think people should take this into consideration:

The terms oldbie and newbie are very annoying to me. In understanding what Holby is saying, I also think that there should be absolutely no post count on the entire forum. The quantity of your posts is not a good statement of how you are, but the quality.

There are people on here with a lot of posts, some even near a thousand, who I still think of as new and unskilled because of the way they post. On the other hand (there's four fingers and a thumb! ...ignore me.) there's some people with not many posts at all that I regard with high value as someone with a good opinion who knows a lot about the game and the people.

I think it's something that should be put into consideration. There will be considerably less spam, and a lot more useful posts.

I know the admins can do it. This oldbie vs. newbie thing, more post count, more respect thing (or so you think) has gone on way too long. Don't you agree?

wolf bite

I have long said that post counts make so much trash on this forum that I have to read over.  I sometimes come on and see that some person has posted in every topic, just for their count.

I have been here almost a year, I have 99% long and meaningful posts.  There are people that have been here only a month that have a higher post count and I don't even know who they are in the game. Hehe

I think that once a person is known, they shoud get a title.  The Mod or Admin most favorable to the person picks it so it will not be unflatering.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Orcrist

I agree- post count has for many a long season been a topic to fight over. Without a post count, people would only post when they would have a valid point to make. At the very least, it would stop arguements over post spamming/warring.
~Orcrist~

"We will win the war...it is a simple case of mathematics." -Samuel Grant

Menatus

I agree. Though I do have a tendancy to post a lot (perhaps to make up for my month or so long absence?) I try not to post off topic of meaningless stuff.

There are some people with very high post counts who I have no idea who they are. There's also that one day where Ad had this thing where he needed to post 100 times that day. Needless to say, there was a lot of spamming. When I tried to get to 1,000, me and Ad just sat there post-warring as well.

This stuff wouldn't happen if no one were to care.

wolf bite

I just checked, I am rank 20 in post counts at 693 posts.  But then I look and see people that have been around longer then I, that have a much lower count (Retto 294).

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Kilkenne

Yeah. Post counts just make problems. I'm not even to 500 yet and I'm the...9th member on the forums! The majority of my posts are long, and as articulate as I can make them, though I admit that some are mere idiocies of one-line answers to questions, etc., but the counts are good in the way that it doesn't become that we HAVE to respect everyone, new or old, we won't be able to see how long they've been around other than the date joined, and no one looks at that.

Dead Eye

I completely agree. I know that I am a big part of this spam thing. How else would I be the 2nd top poster. And I think it would help make the forums cleaner. Lets do it admins!
Dead Eye Trueflight of the Seas, Servent to the Emperor and Empress of the Northlands<br><br><a href='http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha' target='_blank'>http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha</a><br><br>Spokesperson for The winter clan. <br><br>Part of the ROC since some time in October-Nov

Peace Alliance

I want my custom title first!!!!

Typical Wolf Bite Post:
hehe

Wolf Bite
I know he's not trying to get his post count up... but 99% long and meaningful posts? Think again there buddy.

Up untill i got around... 950 posts, i never cared what my count was. I love being social, i love talking about whatever, so thats what i've done in the community. I've probably spammed a lot i'm sure, my and holby went on a spam attack one night. But it wasn't for post count, no no no, it was just because it was hilarious. So i'm saying the post count had little influence on me, but it has had a GREAT influence on other people *coughnonamescough*. Maybe we should just go ahead and give my my custom title, then take the post counts out, eh?

Retto

Perhaps you will find what you're looking for with the UltraModerated Discussion Forum
The 'ittle otter,
Retto

Scarwake

No offense or anything, but I don't think that just the post count has to do with all the spam that has accumulated within the RWL forums.  If we were gonna be all logical and all that in which you, Menatus, stated then we wouldn't be the RWL everyone has come to know and love.  We'd become something far more like Terrouge, and perhaps loose a lot more members than we already have.  

We, the members of RWL, come to the forums to have fun, get away from the real world everyonce in awhile and just let go.  The spam as we all so call it is the expressional writing of having fun on these forums.  Surely, it gets annoying everyonce in awhile, but we do have the Spa Room 101 area, that is used for the spam topics.  Not everyone is sometimes logical in using it for their insane fun and such, but its there and now we have just gained the UltraModeration General Discussion forum to also allow more serious topics about the RWL community.

I don't think that the post count is the complete problem, I think its more so the opinion of the readers who see the spam being inspired by the post count.  Therefore, I don't think we should get rid of it, why make the Admins do more work than what they have to?  A post count removal isn't truely going to stop spam is it?  I don't think so, it'll continue or the forums will just simply die out from loss of fun and mindlessly hilarious topics appearing.
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Blackeyes

Dark days are coming my friends....... oh yes we are in trouble....

Ashyra Nightwing

*nods* So do I. A way of punising people for spamming is to cut their post count. If there wasn't post counts, I think there would be even more spam than there is now...

CoolClaw

Yeah, not having a post count might make more spam, people might just spam to disrupt the forums and since their is no post count no one can tell how much they have spamed.  On the other hand it might help the forums too.
"Ever since using Strongbad's Ab- Abber 2000, the ladies have been all up ons"
-Strongsad

Lend me some sugar, I am your neigbor!

Whats cooler than bein cool? ICE COLD!
Shake it like a Polroid Picture!

Menatus

Oh yeah, side against me, all of you! Because post count is sooo important!

*runs off sobbing*

Scarwake

I'm not siding against you because I want my post count to be enormously huge or anything, but I'm just stating what I think using reasonable rationilization.

*gives Tania a hankie*
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album