Is this REALLY nessessary?

Started by TR Shadow, September 14, 2003, 08:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR Shadow

Ech, the point of this post is going to be hard to make because we obviously aren't allowed to say these words even when they aren't directed at anyone.

I recently saw a post made by a newbi--err...newer member at RWL with the description to the topic saying something like [Sorry, word not allowed].  This sort of made me mad.  I've always thought that rule regarding the words meaning 'new person' and 'veteran player' were totally unnecessary.  I understand that they were made for a good reason, to stop flaming, but I seriously don't think that regulating the insults we use is going to stop flaming.

"heyy u ppl, im bob & im new 2 rwl!!!!11!!11!"
"Hey, Bob, you're a n*****!"

Isn't that the same as saying:

"heyy u ppl, im bob & im new 2 rwl!!!!1!!!!111!!!11!"
"Hey, Bob, you obviously don't know what you're doing here and seriously need Hooked on Phonics or something because you can't spell!"

Does anyone see my point here?  I'm also seeing that these words aren't allowed even if you're giving an example of something or saying them in a way that they are not directed at anyone else.

New person:  Hi, I'm a n*****.  Please don't hurt me!
RWL Mod/Admin:  That word is not allowed here.  Read the rules!

This part also applies to the word that we can't say that means homosexual.  When this word is used appropriately, it shouldn't be edited out.  'Appropriately' does NOT mean:

"hi i think ur alll g** idjits!!!111!!1!1!"

If we were to say something like this, it should be acceptable:

"Please don't put anything bad in this topic like 'The person below me is g**'"

That was an example of one that actually DID get edited a long time ago (Sorry, it was the first that came to mind).  Please, if anyone agrees with me, say so.  I would hate to think that I'm the only one with this opinion.

~Julie~

~>John<~

Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Sun Jian

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Quamicauzilot

Right indeed.  I've always felt that whether the use of the nickname sometimes used for newer members is derogatory or not depends on the context, not the word itself.
If I think of anything I forgot, I'll just edit it in.

To think I almost forgot this.  For those of you that aspire to rule: http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

For the CAFI folks.

Quamicauzilot, leader of The Sockferrets, #10.

~>John<~

exactly, quami. Ad's a little....err.....overeager, as you will
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

calria

I'd like to make the following points, and you can all take me seriously or not, as you choose.
1) Has anyone ever been seriously scolded by an Admin for using that particular "N" word? No.
2) Did we have a serious problem with "you're a ------"/"no, YOU are" battles for a while? Yes.
3) Have they, for the most part, stopped? Yes.

I think that the rule is more against using that word in a specific context than against the word itself.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

~>John<~

they edit it even if ur referring to urself!

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

bjornredtail

I do have to agree... Though in the mean time I might be useing the word 'Greenhorn' a fair number of time. Also, on 'G*Y' what about it's other meaning, of 'happy'?
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

TR Shadow

Cal: I have seen the words edited out of peoples post when they were not directed at anyone.  If the words were against context, which is what I'd like to see happen, the Admins should put that in the rules.  I'll give this to you: it's not a serious problem.  There have been several times when I've wanted to use one of those words, not in a particular context, but I could not because if I did it would be edited out.  In your post, it should be okay to use the word "ne*bie" because you wern't attacking anyone with it.  Do you see what I mean?

calria

Yeah, I see what you mean, but the thing is, where are the admins supposed to draw the line?
Someone's always going to think that they're going too far, or that they're not being fair by not going far enough with the bans.
I think that the Admins do what's best here. No, it's not the ideal, but nobody's ever going to agree unanimously on this.

Anyway, which is worse: The general forum population being a tad annoyed once in a blue moon because we can't use a few words with perfectly good, unbanned synonyms, or the admins having to deal with flaming, etc?

I don't think we ought to flame our Admins. That's for sure.

The Lady Shael

*shakes head* Not flaming, Cal, that's a strong word. Just a slight disagreement. If the admins do give in to our wishes, it'll just be like spamming, like you said, someone will be wondering whether they went too far. Myself, I'm not terribly annoyed by not being able to use those words, but when the need arises, I feel a little irked to find a way around the barrier so I can get my message safely across.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Ashyra Nightwing

*nods* I agree with you totally, Julie..

Blackeyes

I agree with Julie. Ever since like four months ago things have changed around here to much. I like the fact of new people comeing in. But Ad's gotten in away out of control. I mean I think it's great he's admin and stuff. But all these new rules. I don't like it. People were aloud to call me a [edit] when I first joined. And I to them as [edit]. I say we just keep it the way it used to be. I mean being a [edit] was sort of a way of being inisciated(sp?). Now you've taken that sort of stuff away from us.
Dark days are coming my friends....... oh yes we are in trouble....

Almkman

I think it is a stupid rule.Anyways I say [edit] or [edit] or whatever regardless to the rule.
Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
     And songs to Alma Mater raise
  While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
   Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
  Time and change will surely show
   How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

Dixie Ros?

It just PLAIN OLD ANNOYS me that Ne----s is not allowed. Talk about "Tight"...
user posted image

"I love you, Retto! And I don't even have a plushie fixation! Aren't you relieved?"
 "Sarah! That was so uncalled for! *grumbles in a threating way*"
"*huggles a Retto plushie secretively*"