An idea to clean up the general discussion

Started by Peace Alliance, July 19, 2003, 02:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peace Alliance

I was thinking about ways to clean up the General Discussion... See the problem for a lot of people is that there is so much stuff in it that is unrelated to RWL, that they don't like reading through it. Why don't we make a RWL GD and un Unrelated GD. then when ever people want to talk about stuff like "I'm leaving RWL" or "I'm back from my trip" they can put it in the unrelated, while people who want to say related stuff like "I thought of a cool new aspect to the game" or "We should add in a new feature" can put it in the RWL GD. It will mean that for people who come on just to read stuff about the game, they don't have to read about the stuff they don't care about. All in favour?

The Lady Shael

That's actually not a bad idea...unfortunately, I don't have power over that, so we'll have to wait for one of the admins to read this topic.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Vengerak

Psh. It's not like the forum's getting flooded by posters, or anything. This seems unnecesarry.

calria

I agree with Raine on this one... we already have enough different boards on here without adding another one. What's the point of having them if they don't get used? Anyway, if someone wants to be RWL-specific, they can post it under Strategy... isn't that what it's there for?

Scarwake

I agree with Cal, as I've tried this kinda stuff on my sites it don't work very well either, not as well as many thinks it does or may, people don't really care, they'll go post it where ever they want and the board is just adding to the scrolling of a page that all so many of you seem to be worried about...
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Peace Alliance

ERG, your all wrong! Terribly wrong!

We had an entire topic about this! about how the forums are dying. Many people complained about how they have too read through all the unrelated crap just to get to stuff about the game. Just ask Wolf Bite. He gave me an entire lecture on it once, scared me straight. Why would you all of a sudden change your mind and say there is no problem? I don't get it! Personally i think it would be a perfect solution, one forum for important stuff in the game, and another for important stuff outside of the game.
I mean look at all this stuff:

Poll: Favorite Walord/Forum participater (bad spellin) (Pages 1 2 )
Who's the best person here?

Poll: Favorite Warlord in the Forums (Pages 1 2 )
Read the words that are the TITLE!!

An idea to clean up the general discussion  

lol, this stuff isn't related to the game at all! it's just getting in the way.

calria

Anyway, don't most of us just use the "View New Posts" button?

Quamicauzilot

I quite agree with Peace, even though I do usually use the "View New Posts" button.  This is because the main reason I use that is because I know that most of what I'm interested in in gamewise will be in General discussion, and there's enough extra and irrelevant there that I might as well go ahead.  Of course, what'd be ideal would be away to, when using "View New Posts," exclude certain forums.
If I think of anything I forgot, I'll just edit it in.

To think I almost forgot this.  For those of you that aspire to rule: http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

For the CAFI folks.

Quamicauzilot, leader of The Sockferrets, #10.

Peace Alliance

Quote from: calriaAnyway, don't most of us just use the "View New Posts" button?
Sure they do. But now when they see the topic in "unrelated" they could know that its... unrelated!

Scarwake

Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

bjornredtail

I would just put  both turbo and regular related discussions in the same forum. Then add another unrelated general discussion forum.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Peace Alliance

Thats what Ad said too. But then, what about topics like "i want to add a new aspect to the game" or "heres something we should think about doing". where would we put those? my idea is pretty much the same, sept that you call it a RWL general discussion so they can talk about anything RWL.

Ashyra Nightwing

I don't think we need an extra forum. We have enough for now...

Holby

QuoteGeneral Discussion
Discuss anything you want to about the game

That's what it says describing "General Discussion". And are half of the topics about the game? No.
Another board would be more useful, though I feel the "Game" board will be sorta inactive. There's so much junk to wade through trying to keep up with the game. I strongly agree to the idea of a new board.
I see no disadvantage, but an advantage to its existence. Isn't that good enough reason?
I will not deleted this

Vengerak

I still think it's unnecesarry. But if you have a good lecture on you, by all means...

All that topics you mentioned were just dragged up by Beatles recently. There's usually only about three topics with people responding in them at any one time.