RWLCon

Started by Abby The Rat, July 16, 2003, 09:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackeyes

I'll be 16 when this takes place. I will be as old as most of you are now. Meaning if you are smart now. I will most likely be smart then.
Dark days are coming my friends....... oh yes we are in trouble....

Blackeyes

Quote from: The BeatlesHere's an idea.
By 2005, everybody gets DSL/cable and a 19" monitor.
Then we rent a videoconferencing broadband server for a week, and hold it over the Internet.
Saves a lot of expenses, and food.

No, hold it, even simpler and cheaper solution:
Let's just start an AIM chat called RWL and everybody come at a certain time. Or even simpler. Let's just use AIM and occasionally ...
*THONK*

*falls over*
Defeats the purpose of a convention dosent it?

Mark

Quote from: The BeatlesHere's an idea.
By 2005, everybody gets DSL/cable and a 19" monitor.
Then we rent a videoconferencing broadband server for a week, and hold it over the Internet.
Saves a lot of expenses, and food.

No, hold it, even simpler and cheaper solution:
Let's just start an AIM chat called RWL and everybody come at a certain time. Or even simpler. Let's just use AIM and occasionally ...
*THONK*

*falls over*
Ah, but you can already speak ta peeps on the net...it's called iChat AV, too bad it's only for Mac...ya can even type each other and see each other.
Originally The Black Rider, Fonder of Nazgul?.

Down right proud Mac user!
Also down right proud iPod owner
user posted image
If someone died for you? Would you care?

Abby The Rat

the trouble is..... Where's the touch, that patting of each other on the back. Seeing each other live, that second...
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

Blackeyes

Quote from: Ad The Ratthe trouble is..... Where's the touch, that patting of each other on the back. Seeing each other live, that second...
I'm not sure what you mean here Ad.

Are you talking about how we can't see each other on AIM and such?

calria

Here's a fun idea...
We could all tie Beatles up for being sarcastic, and defenestrate him.

I agree with Ad.

Blackeyes

I'd join in with that Cal. If I knew what defenestrate meant.

Scarwake

Well, that was one of the oddest suggestions yet...We'd never meet anyone and ummm...no that just not work.  *laughs because he knows Beatles is being sarcastic*  Hmmm, I'd still like to know when we'd be having this little get together...
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

The Beatles

"Everybody lived, and everybody died on Earth, and while some memories on Earth may have lingered, they were forgotten and wiped (on Earth), at least, that goes for humans."
I won't credit that to myself, it's that bad.

Let's have it in, like, 2015. Everybody will have forgotten/have much money.

Mark

I doubt that anyone is going to pull this off unless they do it soon.

user posted image

The Beatles

Exactly my point.

Blackeyes

Exsactly. Which is why were having it in like. 2004-5. And Beatles. When does your duel start?

Mark

Quote from: BlackeyesExsactly. Which is why were having it in like. 2004-5. And Beatles. When does your duel start?
He heh, people go and come...the averge person stays about 2 months.  ;)  

user posted image

Blackeyes

I have been here for like 10 months.

The Beatles

So, I've outline a reasonable plan for RWLCon 2004. It will have to change, of course.

1. We create a mailing list on yahoo for those who want to attend. This I have done. It's called rwlcon2004. Here is a website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rwlcon2004/
At the minimum, we will need this to keep effective communication, apart from the boards. Anybody can post. I suggest you send photos to put up there too.
2. General plan: What Wolf Bite said, so, we find a cheap hotel or youth hostel in the city we're going to, register a group, and get a lot of people to come, and they give us a meeting room or something.
3. Location: So far, we have 2 viable candidates: Memphis, US, and Whitby, Canada. Either is reasonable at this point, but Memphis is perhaps better. Many player are US players, and getting over a border would be shaky for some parents to swallow, perhaps. So, I would really go with Memphis. But that is still an open question. Boze would also probably be a lot of help there, and could help with finding a hotel/hostel.
4. Getting there. There are specifics to be discussed, but the simplest thing would be for an experienced driver to rent a medium-sized bus and drive around picking people up. So, a lot of Canadians would go to a certain city, for example, and the bus would pick 'em up. Or if there are really 15 Canadians, you could get a small bus of your own. This would mean less gas, and less hassle. Also, safer, 'cause people can take more turns at the wheel. I suggest we make a map of where people are, and try to plan a route based on that.
5. What to do there: Everyone should bring a few movies, and just in case, someone should bring a TV/VCR. If you have laptops, bring them by all means! Touring is also an idea, and if this is in Memphis, then the event would be fun. This leaves many possibilities.
6. Going away: this should be about the same as getting there.
7. Time frame: a week would be the best, shorter, and it's just too short. Some people, like Peace, may leave earlier, and I'm sure others will be late. 2-3 days ain't really worth it, since the largest investment is the preparations and getting there.
8. Expenses. I have no idea at this point about expenses.... because we don't even know how it's gonna be organized. I say, $50-$100 per night for the hotel is reasonable, but then there's stuffs like gas, and rental fees. If we can return the bus(es) for the week we're there, that's a huge saving.
9. Method of payment: Bringing cash seems tempting, but PayPal is a better idea, I think. All the same, if you can't do that, then just bring the cash.
10. Conduct. Alcohol: None, zippo, zilch. This ain't a drinking party. We should totally not allow this, it can get nasty (and freak parents out). Same goes for smoking/drugs/whatever - use your head. Loud music? No. Bring your headphones, please.
11. Time: 2004 is the accepted time now. But that might surely change, and later /might/ be reasonable, as might earlier. We don't know much at this point. Needs to be summer, or many people can't come because of school/college.
12. Parental consent. Everybody over 30-40 should tell us, so we have some assurance there. Also, Memphis sounds better for the same reason - not many adults in Whitby. Also, we can probably expect some parents to come along and stay near, which is good in terms of preventing violence or other silly things parties can produce.
13. Temperature: Well, Memphis can't be /that/ hot, or?
14. Souvenirs, mementos. A RWLCon 2004 badge would be neat, but also, if everybody participating could make some small gifts or get some small trinkets and a little card for the other participators - you want to take /something/ home, no? Open question, because there are neater things than badges to take home as a souvenir.

That doesn't cover everything, I'll add to it later.

~Beatles