Signature length

Started by Quamicauzilot, July 09, 2003, 10:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quamicauzilot

I know there'll be opposition to this, but why would that stop me?  Plus, I get to see if anyone agrees.

I notice, that when reading almost any message, especially those with many replies, even moreso in those with multiple pages, some signatures are annoyingly long.  This causes a few things.  One: The page is longer, giving that much more to scroll through.  Two: The page takes longer to load, especially if one is using a slower modem.  Three: It takes away from the individuality of the signature.  I don't really bother to read them any more, because some of them are longer than the posts the poster is making.

I realize the message boards have a built-in feature that prohibits signatures from being over 1,000 characters in length, but what the system doesn't account for is the length images add to a signature.

What I propose is not a ban on images in signatures, nor is it a limit to the number of images in a signature.  I propose a limit on the total size of a signature.  If an image is simply too large to be reasonable, either don't put it in, try to find a smaller version, or link to it.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure I forgot some detail.
If I think of anything I forgot, I'll just edit it in.

To think I almost forgot this.  For those of you that aspire to rule: http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

For the CAFI folks.

Quamicauzilot, leader of The Sockferrets, #10.

JestahMunkee

I concur.....and where the heck is this bandwith coming from? Who's letting them use remote-hosting?!and where would I find them?

Yep..and why are the nessasarry? I just wanna know...yeh...uhm...I concur*hides at her lack of rant* Sorry Quami..

and NO, Im not just agreeing with Quami cuz I know him..*rolls eyes* We have been known to think along the same lines..ohlala, agreement
*Scree!*
*Lick Meee~!*
--I am not the muffin pope!--

Peace Alliance

Yeah, i like cool pictures. and sometimes they're good. in fact, many times i dont mind a long signature. but when its just long with lines like

~~**Official cheese promoter**~~

~pretty things suck!~

Cool People:
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~

its just too much

Deathclaw

This may be off, but Peace Alliance, you list achievements on the ROC and then list "The Modest One." Interesting... lol.
Glory, Glory, Man United!

Peace Alliance

sarcasm is SO hard to depict over the internet!... lol, thats what it is BTW. its sposed to be a joke. if i ever get over 1000 posts i want my custom name to be "The Modest One"

Ashyra Nightwing

I'm proud of my siggy. It's not too long, it's not too short. Myuh.

You can't take it away from me! *clings*

Pikepaw

My sig is mine and you can't take it away!  *Grabs his sig and holds it so hard his hands turn cheese coloured.*
Never muck with me because I'm a Canadian mercenary
Pikepaw has returned! He has become more evil! But I am back, to rule all and destroy the Earth!
If you knock me down, I'll get back up and knock you down, then I'll chase you with my torch and pitchfork and big club thingy.
In the words of the wise barbeast: "Yer true friends stick up fer ya! Yer best pals pay fer ya!" After this, the barbeast fell over drunk, after his last words of wisedom.

Brock

Mine isn't too long anymore.  I used to have two big pictures in it.  Now I'm thinking of shortening it even more.

{Edit} 400th post!  w00t!
I like Chicken, I like Liver, Meow Mix,Meow Mix, Please Deliver!

calria

My signature is BEAUTIFUL. *nods* Simply lovely.
*smile*

Scarwake

Well, I've got one thing to say and that's; my signature might be too long for you all, but I'm not changing it unless its forced by the admins...
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

windhound

*watches fishies swim around in his sig*
*ponders on taking them out*
nahh...
unless y'all really want me to, I think I'll leave em...
my siggy isnt that long, though, it is the longest it's ever been, I keep making additions...  a few subtractions here and there...  *nods*
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Ashyra Nightwing

I'm working on a moving cafi logo! Then my sig will be even more annoying!

Blackeyes

Mines short, and to the point.
Dark days are coming my friends....... oh yes we are in trouble....

Almkman

I shall never change my sig.Mine's only long because of the flying penguin.
Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
     And songs to Alma Mater raise
  While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
   Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
  Time and change will surely show
   How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

calria

I think a signature is appropriate if it's under 2-3 inches in length on the average screen. Anything more than that is seriously going to impinge load time, and make reading posts harder. *nods*