What's the deal?

Started by Ereptor, June 24, 2003, 09:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Almkman

Well actually I joined in April but that account got deleted when Ashyra's did.I would have more than you in my post count didn't get reset when I got gagged.
Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
     And songs to Alma Mater raise
  While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
   Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
  Time and change will surely show
   How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

Sha

Hmm.. I feel inclined to post on this.

I know I myself haven't been around here much lately, but I suppose I can say a few things.

As I don't actually PLAY RWL, I can't say what's happening on the game but I do remember the more people there were the more fun it was. Wow, I'm going to end up repeating everything that was already said. VI is taking over. I'm not sure why (I signed up for it and haven't really played since then), other than the fact that it is a little more time consuming than RWL (one doesn't have to wait for turns, etc, etc) and it's new. Novelty is a very big thing. Something else bigger and brighter will come along and the novelty will wear off VI and VI will be in the same position RWL is; I may sound pessimistic, but I've seen a lot of online communties go down the drain this way. And as Shael said, the administrators have other things on their hands. Most of them are busy all the time, and then with VI.. well, yes.

Okay, I guess I'm not being much help. So here's the point of my post.

Don't give up. So RWL isn't the way it used to be. It won't ever go back. You still have your friends from before, your memories, and perhaps this new "era" isn't so bad. Try to make the best out of it - perhaps you'll end up making new friends and new memories. Just realize that reminiscing doesn't always help; it tends to scare people off. ^^; But then, I do it all the time, so yes.

I don't think this post made any sense so I'll just wander back into the shadows, wot?

Scarwake

I agree with you Shael, on the part about the admins.  I think that we should infact give those admins who wish to 'relieve' themselves of duty do so, but we should replace them with those that are more hard-working, no offense to those admins who are hard-working.. I do appreciate what all of you have done.

I just feel as though a few changes could really get RWL back on the roll again!  Yes, our forums have been taken over by fruits and dairy products but don't let that scare you away from RWL.  Nobody said you had to post on the forums or even go there at that.

Now, I can help out with some publicity for RWL, I just need someone who can write a really good paragraph or two on RWL to make the readers interested and make them want to check it out...And perhaps a few graphics on the sign-in page of RWL could help attract new members?
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Almkman

I think we should try to get the people who left to come back.

Quote from: almkmanI think we should try to get the people who left to come back.
Hah. Good luck with that. Most of teh left for good. They grew up <_<  

Graphlin

Quote from: Holby*Sighs* I have homework to do, and not time enough for a long post, but I do want to say something quickly:

RWL was very popular at the start of the second round. There were about 200 players that signed by the end the first day. This round, I think we only scraped in a 100 by the end of the week.
Most left during round 2.
We need to get those players back we lost, and new ones, too.
The main factor, I think, was Ereptor's Reign. IMO, Ereptor at the top was unintentionally driving players away and killing the game.

I think it would be great to appeal to gamers as much as Redwall fans, if not more.
Broaden our target audience. Bring the life back.
OK first things first.  I was the main factor in driving away people from playing rwl?  You seem mistaken.  And even though you have made a point i find few who will actually agree with you and back it up.  My war was against those who knew how to play the game.  RR, Kilk, Deathclaw, etc, etc, almost all the old emperor's.   I did not pick on newbs.  I fought people that didn't like me.  Shael i am not sure why, has never seemed to like me very much.  I for one really don't like her that much either.  In game.  Mainly because of that whole daughter of delor and the big head that went with it.  Please go into detail about my reign and what i did that made people leave.  

Now for shael's post...

I admit it is sort of boring with Slayer sitting on the top ten, which is why I'm currently on vacation, waiting for the clan to break apart. All clans eventually do, and it isn't impossible to overthrow it. *glances at Ereptor* Nothing is impossible. (and it's now safe for me to say that since Raine has thankfully left the forums)

Did you not read what wolfbite wrote?  Of course obviously nothing is impossible.  Did i say that?  No.  But wolf's point on certain strats that are virtually impossible to break is right on.  Making me into the bad guy on this and blaiming me for lack of rwl players is just outragious.

Another problem with keeping the storyline, Ereptor, is that most of the players nowadays never even touched a Redwall book, and wouldn't really give a care what happens in the plot. They only play to reach the top. It's all just competition to them.

I created a storyline out of lotr.  At that time it was very popular.  I am sure most of us, if not all of us had seen the movies at that time.  I don't remember using any redwall stuff with the story line.  I am not sure where you got that.  But when you use things like this against me, it only makes me think you are trying to pin me as this bad guy.  I have played the part, but i do not take any responcibility for players leaving rwl.  In round one i never even made it to the top ten until they boosted turns, etc.  I was beaten down everyday.  I have still yet to delete or lose an account on regular server.  I will never delete it and i will fight to the death.  If some people gave up, that is their issue.  I dominated.  That is the game.   After the fact i tried for weeks to get retto to reset.  I was behind the voting for a reset.  Did you all forget that.  Or is just blaming me for everything a whole lot easier ?

Graphlin

woops i forgot i was under this other name i used in turbo.  lol that is funny.  sometimes it just loads like this and i never realize it.  lol  :D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Holby

Quote from: GraphlinOK first things first.  I was the main factor in driving away people from playing rwl?  You seem mistaken.  And even though you have made a point i find few who will actually agree with you and back it up.  My war was against those who knew how to play the game.  RR, Kilk, Deathclaw, etc, etc, almost all the old emperor's.   I did not pick on newbs.  I fought people that didn't like me.  Shael i am not sure why, has never seemed to like me very much.  I for one really don't like her that much either.  In game.  Mainly because of that whole daughter of delor and the big head that went with it.  Please go into detail about my reign and what i did that made people leave.
It doesn't matter who you were fighting against. It was more of an intimidation factor, I believe.
Most of those that left did it during your round. You at a billion Net higher than anyone else can easily turn off people, and even more so when all attempts to take you down failed.
Those that tried their best to get up to the top had to abide by your rules, and any that didn't were either killed or punished by tater.
On reaching the top 10, it was move to Northlands and extend your time up there by a day or two, or stay where you were and face tater.
You were a key factor in RWL's lack of numbers.
There were about a quarter of the amount of players at the end of the round compared to the first 3 weeks.
If that's not killing the game I don't know what is...
I will not deleted this

Ereptor

Point taken.  I was ruthless.  But can i be blamed for tater?  No.  Also was it my respocibility to play the game and when i won then take myself out?  Or is it a flaw in the game?  Does admin play a part in evening it out?  The strats are flawed and so is this game.  I played it to the best of my ability and then some(not cheating).  I admit my tactics were ruthless.  But come on it is a game of domination.  IF people quit becuase i was on top, it is not my fault.  But the faultyness of gameplay.
The Dark Lord
Warrior since the First Era
Emperor of the Dark Ages
Leader of TBV, TOL, ROME and Mordor
Win with class, lose with class, always respect your opponet.
*Walks Out Of Shadow*

Almkman

Well actually it's part of your fault.It is your fault that you were on top which is why they left.

Veranor

You can't blame Ereptor for "killing the game". He was playing the game, and quite well. Isn't that what it's all about. It's hardly his fault that people gave up because he was doing so well. It's a fact of the game, there will always be a number one, the winner, the leader.  
#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

Ereptor

So therefor when there is a winner declared.  Should the game go on?  Or stop?  Or should it be evened out so that winners are not made overnight.....
The Dark Lord
Warrior since the First Era
Emperor of the Dark Ages
Leader of TBV, TOL, ROME and Mordor
Win with class, lose with class, always respect your opponet.
*Walks Out Of Shadow*

wolf bite

We can?t go back in time and fix things.  But we can learn form the past.  Ereptor may have ruled with an iron fist, but the actions from what he created went down hill in the game.  So those allowed to be in the top by Ereptor, followed the same way of doing things.  I can think of nothing more depressing then to come on line and find all your work gone because your player was dead.  Or even finding that a player was attacked 50 times but still lives with nothing to work from.  

I remember the first era when really would I get attacked more then 5 times.  And when that happened, lots of people would punish the person for their actions.  But then in the 2nd era, we had to attack a ton, because the top would attack us so badly that we would have to take the land from below just not to get killed. And those below me would have to take a ton of land from those further down.

I do admit that the first few days of a game I over attack a bit to get placement. But then try to keep my attacks to only what is needed (unless someone really deserves it). As I said, I have not taken land for a week.  I will not let Slayer get untouchable, I will not let them make bounties, I will have no part in a Kill.  I offer to help new players understand the game.  Slayer is not following the ways of the past, but you can?t fault us for presently being on top.  Winning is good, keeping others from being able to win is bad.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

The Lady Shael

QuoteShael i am not sure why, has never seemed to like me very much. I for one really don't like her that much either. In game. Mainly because of that whole daughter of delor and the big head that went with it. Please go into detail about my reign and what i did that made people leave.

*chuckles drily* Big-headed, you think, Ereptor? If you really think so, then maybe I was, and I apologize. Though I'm sure if you were offered a free spot in the Emperor's place, you most likely wouldn't have hesistated either. I must say, when you did become Emperor, it was hard not to see you enjoying your own reign. And understand this: 1) I never hated you. Probably because I never had I solid reason to. 2) I don't want to hate you either, but give me a good reason, and I will. 3) Most of the people I enjoy talking to have a steady sense of humor....*stops*

QuoteDid you not read what wolfbite wrote? Of course obviously nothing is impossible. Did i say that? No. But wolf's point on certain strats that are virtually impossible to break is right on. Making me into the bad guy on this and blaiming me for lack of rwl players is just outragious.

I won't say too much on this, because I'm not too clear on this subject. I'm not blaming you for anything. It does seem like when you ruled the top ten, you never seemed to give a care. Now that you don't, you complain about it.

QuoteI created a storyline out of lotr. At that time it was very popular. I am sure most of us, if not all of us had seen the movies at that time. I don't remember using any redwall stuff with the story line. I am not sure where you got that.

I'm sorry, I wasn't quite clear on this, but when you said "storyline", I assumed it was Redwall. After all, this is Redwall:Warlords, not Lord of the Rings: Warlords. Meaning, pertaining to the series of Redwall. If you want to continue a successful LOTR storyline, I'm sure there are other Promisances out there just for that purpose.

QuoteBut when you use things like this against me, it only makes me think you are trying to pin me as this bad guy. I have played the part, but i do not take any responcibility for players leaving rwl.

And again, I'm not blaming you. At least, not outright. Earlier in this post, I did accuse you for not realizing any trouble when you ruled the top ten. I'm not trying to pin you as the bad guy. We all share a little blame.

We have never had a reason to be on opposite sides, Ereptor. The reason we never talk is because we seem to disagree on various issues. If we both do agree that RWL is dying, and we should try to do something, then I believe we are currently on the same side. If I have ever done anything you dislike, or find irksome, I'm sorry. I can't always have complete control over myself, and sometimes I just do or say things without thinking. I apologize.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Peace Alliance

Whew, lot's to reply to!

First off, one of the biggest objectives of RWL (exclusing having fun) Is to become an emporor. Ereptor became our greatest emporor. He is a good player and deserved to win. So if the objective is to win then how can he be blamed for doing so? I agree, it is because if his reign that many people left. But thats not his fault, its the way the game is played.

QuoteOh no no no peace alliance. Terrorist claims will get us shut down permenatly. Not to mention the admin would never go for it. And the fact that it is a hair brain idea in the first place.
Uhhhh.... It was a joke.... My point was that advertising would help.

I wouldn't be willing to pay money for RWL. Mostly because i wouldn't be allowed to. But if you make RWL cost money people wont join. there are a lot of games like redwall that i've read about, liked, went t join and it says "how will you be sending you're 5$?". I leave right then. Plus, my parents wouldn't let me pay, they already think/know I'm too addicted to this game

QuoteIf anyone of you like the idea of seperate screens please aim retto or me.
Whoa!! Thats a GREAT idea!. I don't like the attacking delay, maybe a delay to prepare raiders, but not to attack. because when you attack, its usually important that you get the land right away to build on it. Also there should be an overall scores still that shows you the scores for the whole game. One problem with this idea though, is that you would need a lot more players. it wouldn't work with just 100 players... thats just 25 players per screen, and what if one area has a 13 member clan?

Getting the older players who left back might work... Although i do think its hard. Its like getting a smoker to start again, they would still like it when they come back, but they will be determined not to come back in the first place!

I wouldn't mind some banners, maybe one on the main page... not in the game though! that would slow it down! Banners to make money, money to expand. That would be cool.

Lastly, the forums. I'll admit that the last few weeks i've been posting a lot of blah blah. But now i've got more stuff to worry about and when i go on the forum, i feel like just reading the important stuff. I don't want to vote about bananna's, I don't want to argue about cheese. Penguins are good... But why not talk about that on a penguin forum???

OH, and i forgot! I know our admins are really busy, but what if we were to get a new one? one that could take ALL of our suggestions and put it all into a NEW RWL game... A game that would be more like the evolved version of the one we're playing right now. I know that there must have been a lot of trial work in the original RWL, 'cause otherwise it wouldn't be so great. But I also know that now that we've been playing this for so lone.. maybe its about time to make a RWL V. 2.0????