What's the deal?

Started by Ereptor, June 24, 2003, 09:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ereptor

Signs rwl is fading.

::disagrees:: 1.  Slayer owns the top ten.  Only i and a few others actually give them something to do.  Other than that, they sit there talking about their clan.  

::disagrees:: 2.  The server is down at least once a day.  Sometimes two.  

::disagrees:: 3.  Signs of spam have flooded the general forum, Bananas, cheese edit< and Penguins >edit stink it up everyday.  

::disagrees:: 4.  When the server is down.  It affects turns.  Turns take time.  Everytime the server is down all night.  We feel that.  If we do not have turns to attack with.  How can we expect to play.  Not everyone has the freedom of being on the comp all day.  Yes that means everyone only has that many turns.  But it also drags a long game out, even longer.  People give up after awhile.

::disagrees:: 5.  Vi.  A game done by retto.  A pretty decent one at that.  Is this game taking away from rwl.  My opinion....YES.

::disagrees:: 6.  Aside from these posts being spam "I am leaving, and i am never comming back unless everyone says they love me and tells me not to go."  They do prove a point.  A. No one cares anymore.  B.  No one is around to care anymore.

::disagrees:: 7.  Leaders.  Leaders and towers pretty much control this game.  Once you make it to the top with that strat.  It is almost impossble to break.  Many will argue.  But after 7 people all with 450 turns tried to make a run and failed.  it seemed hopeless.  And yes i seem to be the only one left still attacking.  I shall continue to do so.  Even if i fail every time.

::disagrees:: 8.  Summer time.  Most people are outside in the sun, at the beach or doing something beside the computer.

::disagrees:: 9.  No story line.  I tried really hard to keep a story line up for rwl.  I wanted people to play and have fun doing it and feel like they were serving a purpose.  A few agreed with me, and almost everyone got to play a part in the last reset.

And the number ten reason.  No idea.  Maybe it is just that time.  Time for rwl to end..... :blink:

So we have server downtime, summer vacation, spam, slayer and VI.  Dissssspeckable.... :angry:
The Dark Lord
Warrior since the First Era
Emperor of the Dark Ages
Leader of TBV, TOL, ROME and Mordor
Win with class, lose with class, always respect your opponet.
*Walks Out Of Shadow*

TR Shadow

Oh!  This is like my "Ten reasons I hate RWL" topic.  But this one's serious.  I don't want it to end.  *Cries*  RWL is one of my favorite sites.  *Clings to RWL*

Scarwake

I must agree whole-heartedly with you Ereptor...  The main problem is the major server down-times...They need to be stopped, and then there's many other factors contributing to the reason in which RWL is slowing down...One of course being VI, a good game and yet it takes more time from RWL gameplay because RWLers aren't receiving the proper amount of turns due to the reasons that Ereptor listed above.  I also noticed that lately on Turbo that turns seems to be screwing up, not giving them at the proper time...I won't receive turns until 5 minutes after I was supposed to get them, sometimes even longer than that...
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Ruatine

My opinion on the subject:

Quote1. Slayer owns the top ten. Only i and a few others actually give them something to do. Other than that, they sit there talking about their clan.

So do something about it. You practically owned the top ten last round, and people organized resistances to try to bring you down. Why can't it work the other way around?

Quote2. The server is down at least once a day. Sometimes two.

I acquiesce on this one. The admins need to do something about it unless they want to close RWL down.

Quote3. Signs of spam have flooded the general forum, Bananas, cheese edit< and Penguins >edit stink it up everyday.

What's spam to you is good, clean fun to others. Keep in mind that your 21; most people on here are ages 13-15.

Quote4. When the server is down. It affects turns. Turns take time. Everytime the server is down all night. We feel that. If we do not have turns to attack with. How can we expect to play. Not everyone has the freedom of being on the comp all day. Yes that means everyone only has that many turns. But it also drags a long game out, even longer. People give up after awhile.

This is an extension of point #2. My answer to #2 also applies to this one.

Quote5. Vi. A game done by retto. A pretty decent one at that. Is this game taking away from rwl. My opinion....YES.

It's a new and interesting game. Give some time for things to cool down. Of course it's going to take away from RWL somewhat, but there are a lot of loyal RWLers who don't want RWL to go away.

Quote6. Aside from these posts being spam "I am leaving, and i am never comming back unless everyone says they love me and tells me not to go." They do prove a point. A. No one cares anymore. B. No one is around to care anymore.

What can I say? The majority of people on here are ages 13-15 like I said. It's an age where a lot of people are A. Looking for attention. B. Trying to make a persona for themselves.

Quote8. Summer time. Most people are outside in the sun, at the beach or doing something beside the computer.

:rolleyes: Summer comes every year. If RWL can't survive summer, it should never have been created.

Quote9. No story line. I tried really hard to keep a story line up for rwl. I wanted people to play and have fun doing it and feel like they were serving a purpose. A few agreed with me, and almost everyone got to play a part in the last reset.

Not everyone is as creative as you, Ereptor. And most people, I dare say, don't want to bother with keeping up a story line. *shrugs* If it's really necessary to keep interest in the game people will do it.

"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

wolf bite

I agree with most of what has been said. But criticism should come with suggestions:

The forums are more time consuming to read through with everyone trying to build their posts up to 1,000 to get their custom title. They just make up reasons to post, make up fight to have.  And then we have to spend time reading those it to see if there is anything interesting to say.  Just bestow a title on everyone to stop Spam.

After playing the game enough, there are strategies (several of them) that are nearly unstoppable.  The few of us that know them and how to beat some of them, will rule the game.  It is the same 10 people that fill the ranks, and those we allow to join us. Some strategies need to have counter strategies built in to make the game fair.

There has been a big turning to VI and the other games that are out there, good for everyone.  People should be allowed to have fun.  But then we need to draft more people to this game.  We need to have more links to it. We need not to put bounties on people to depress them. We need to welcome new players, not intimidate them. I for one would be willing to have non-playing account and just teach new players how to play after the reset.  Take some of the good players out and let us sit on the side with Ad and have new players assigned to us.

As for the regular server as it is now, there is a way to go against Slayer.  That is more players.  We are limited to the penalties of attack.  I have taken very little land as not to grow to fast.  But if there were more players with land to build on, then they could mount an attack against slayer.  But without that ability, and without offences that can be used against our strategies, there is little hope for a raid that could not be beaten back down.  I have even thought about the top Slayer players making their defenses as high as possible and having the admins lock us outs. Then we could make new players to take the emperors down.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Peace Alliance

Quote from: ScarwakeI must agree whole-heartedly with you Ereptor...  The main problem is the major server down-times...They need to be stopped, and then there's many other factors contributing to the reason in which RWL is slowing down...One of course being VI, a good game and yet it takes more time from RWL gameplay because RWLers aren't receiving the proper amount of turns due to the reasons that Ereptor listed above.  I also noticed that lately on Turbo that turns seems to be screwing up, not giving them at the proper time...I won't receive turns until 5 minutes after I was supposed to get them, sometimes even longer than that...
Yeah, i actually figure that out last season of turbo... But nobody listened to me :'(

Ereptor, i agree with you're listings. But I don't think RWL is over. In fact, i've never understood why RWL wasn't more popular? i mean, if those of us who play love it so much... and there are millions of people who are on the internet every day... then shouldn't there be more people?? Ever though of advertising? lol, maybe try to get CNN to do a report on RWL...

Brock

Something tells me CNN wouldn't do that.  Unless rwl became a
multi-billion dollar company...  Hmm... everyone give rwl a billion dollars!
I like Chicken, I like Liver, Meow Mix,Meow Mix, Please Deliver!

Peace Alliance

Yeah, i agree that the posting has kind of gotten annoying (and i know you were trying to direct some of that towards me, but most of my stupid fights are for real and the others aren't my doing). Spam is fun and all, and i know you kids like to kid around, but thats what the spa room is for (lol, i called you kids, that might make you mad eh?).

Slayer owning the top 10 is kind of like Tater and you owning the top 10 last season. in fact, there are a lot of similarities. But that was after a month of hardcore fighting, this time slayer took over too fast, i think thats the main problem.

And finally, i think all we have to do to get on CNN is call them and tell them we have links to terrorism, then call back five minutes later and say that was a lie. they will say it on the air, then take it have with appologies... we win!

Ereptor

Oh no no no peace alliance.  Terrorist claims will get us shut down permenatly.  Not to mention the admin would never go for it.  And the fact that it is a hair brain idea in the first place.  

Rwl needs a lot of things.  Unfortunately they would have to include programmers, money and time.  

I have a great interface that would work perfect for rwl.  Also there are free game sites that get a lot of publicity.  Anyone ever here of Faldon?  I typed in free rpg game on google one day and there it was.  We had players from all over the world playing it.  It was great.  It was kinda like ultima online.  you can see screen shots here.  www.illusorystudios.com  I also found another free one doing the same thing.  It was called Planetarion.  This one had thousands of players.  It was similiar to our method of play.  But more strats and more players.  a lot of my ideas come from playing these games.  I wish retto had some time and we could sit down one day and hammer out a bunch of stuff for rwl.  But putting this game onto a site like that, the admins would really have to be ready to support a lot of players.  that cost bandwith and money.

So heres the question.  who would be willing to pay for rwl if we got a lot of advertising, therefor more people, therefor a bigger server?  Or is rwl not supposed to be a game that charges people?  

If i could change one thing about rwl that wouldn't be very hard and would even it out a lot it would be simply this.

4 ranking screens.

Main screen -  Exactly what we have now.

Northlands screen -  Ranking system of only people in northlands.

Mossflower screen  -  Ranking system of only people in Mossflower.

Southlands screen -  Ranking system of only people in southlands.

Everything is the same.  Except when you move into another area you get a different screen with only those in your area ( northlands, etc ).  Things could still end up the way they are now.  But i think it would be a little different.  I would also add that they should make your armies have a travel time between lands.  Like in the market.  When it says your troops will arrive to be sold in 5 hours.  It would be the same for attacking between lands.  Your troops will attack in 2 hours.  And return in 2 hours.  There for making it harder to control the entire game.  Clans could focus on total domination or just a certain land.  This would also make it a whole lot easier for newbies.  Seeing that not all the best players and the land are in certain spots.  

If anyone of you like the idea of seperate screens please aim retto or me.

The Dark Lord
Warrior since the First Era
Emperor of the Dark Ages
Leader of TBV, TOL, ROME and Mordor
Win with class, lose with class, always respect your opponet.
*Walks Out Of Shadow*

Scarwake

Oh yes...I remember you saying something like that a while back ago.  *copies and pastes it into his notepad for later usage on his new game*  I wonder if my friend will be able to get that up or not...
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Holby

*Sighs* I have homework to do, and not time enough for a long post, but I do want to say something quickly:

RWL was very popular at the start of the second round. There were about 200 players that signed by the end the first day. This round, I think we only scraped in a 100 by the end of the week.
Most left during round 2.
We need to get those players back we lost, and new ones, too.
The main factor, I think, was Ereptor's Reign. IMO, Ereptor at the top was unintentionally driving players away and killing the game.

I think it would be great to appeal to gamers as much as Redwall fans, if not more.
Broaden our target audience. Bring the life back.
I will not deleted this

Ashyra Nightwing

I agree with you, Holby. At the beginning of the second round we even had Terrouge people joining in. It seems that there are so few of us left... Menatus said she would be coming back, but I haven't seen much of her. We need as many players as we can get.

The Lady Shael

*agrees with Holbs as well* I remember I signed up for the second round about 10 seconds after the admins opened it, and I got #20. For the third round, I waited about 30 minutes, and got #8. The signs and symptoms are getting more serious, and harder to avoid.

If this forum would concentrate more on RWL, instead of dancing fruit and penguin avatars, it would probably bring some life back. Any posts in all forums except the Polling Forum and Spa Room that DON'T have anything to do with RWL should be deleted, or moved to the Spa Room. The majority of everyone's worries here is just to rid the forum of dancing fruit. If RWL has indeed sunk to that level, it'll be hard getting it back up.

I admit it is sort of boring with Slayer sitting on the top ten, which is why I'm currently on vacation, waiting for the clan to break apart. All clans eventually do, and it isn't impossible to overthrow it. *glances at Ereptor* Nothing is impossible. (and it's now safe for me to say that since Raine has thankfully left the forums)

Another problem with keeping the storyline, Ereptor, is that most of the players nowadays never even touched a Redwall book, and wouldn't really give a care what happens in the plot. They only play to reach the top. It's all just competition to them.

Our AIM chats probably have eroded part of the forums as well. That is probably my fault, since I'm one of the first (possibly even the first) who started a RWL AIM chat. These chats have, figuratively speaking, "loosened" us up, and also gives us a reason not to use the forums. Although most insanity convos are in the chats, the chatters feel it is part of their business to spread what happened in the chats to the rest of the forum, when no one cares. Then those with weaker statuses,(newbies) think that these people are "popular" and join in the insanity.

There some really annoying people on this forum(which I have refrained from mentioning who) who apparently have nothing else better to do with their non-existant life than to post useless agreements and/or flaming posts just to recieve a thousand posts and a title. If you have spammed up to 1000 posts, it's MY belief you shouldn't recieve a title at all, not even "Official Forum Loudmouth". If I ran this forum, once they reached 1000 posts, I'd reset their post count, and have them start over again, for another chance.

There are some people, like me when I first joined this forum, who apparently aim to have their name running down the right-most column of this forum. I've noticed someone trying to do this, and now I'm telling you to stop. I've been on this forum since it started, much longer than you, and yet you almost have as many posts as I do. I did the exact same thing, and even did it in most of the forums, and it earned me nothing but disrespect from the other players and 800 useless posts. Now that I look back at it, I'm lucky the admins didn't ban me, and I'm surprised that they didn't.

Then there's probably the biggest problem of them all, looming over us like a cloud of poisonous fumes....Vulpine Imperium. Like I said in a much earlier post, many people from RWL chose to leave and join VI because they have no skill at this game, and VI is much easier. It's something for them to be able to be good at, and penetrate the top ten. I quit VI a couple days ago, and my sister joined yesterday, but quit this morning.

Yet another problem is our admins. Boze seems to have disappeared, only coming back to prohibit the use of nouns on this board. Stormclaw looms by the exit, his mind on VI. And Retto does what he can, even though he's one of the prime admins of VI. And Ragefur...well...I haven't made up my mind on that yet. We need a female admin...that's another problem, a lack of females here...let's see, there's me, Cal, Tania's ghost, Ju, Ashyra, Teufel, Cala, am I missing anyone? I probably am....oh well.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Almkman

If you would've put names in there I bet my name would've been somewhere.You're forgetting trident.
Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
     And songs to Alma Mater raise
  While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
   Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
  Time and change will surely show
   How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

The Lady Shael

You're not who I was talking about in the sixth paragraph, but I find your posts are rather annoying. Look, you joined in May, I started this account in February. (I had another account before this) The difference in our post count is currently 6 posts.  
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.