Book series poll....

Started by The Lady Shael, June 20, 2003, 01:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

The Hitchhiker Trilogy is EXCELLENT. There's humor on every page, and it's hard not to burst out laughing. It also gives me a good reason to avoid questions I don't want to answer...they ask me something, I answer "42", and they can't argue, can they? I'll just post a small paragraph from my copy of The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from the beginning of the first book, where he explains the definition of a bypass:

Bypasses are devices that allow some people to dash from point A to pointB very fast while other people dash from point B to point A very fast. People living at point C, being a point directly in between, are often given to wonder what's so great about point A that so many people from point B are so keen to get there, and what's so great about point B that so many people from point A are so keen to get there. They often wish that people would just once and for all work out where the hell they wanted to be.

Here's another one, an excerpt from the part about the Babel Fish:

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the nonexistence of God.
The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that." and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Here's a part that Ju and her penguin worshipers might enjoy, from the part where Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect arrive on the Heart of Gold, a spaceship with an improbability factor:

"Haaaauuurrgghhh..." said Arthur, as he felt his body softening and bending in unusual directions. "Southend seems to be melting away...the stars are swirling...a dustbowl...my lets are drifting off into the sunset...my left arm's come off too." A frightening thought struck him. "Hell," he said, "how am I going to operate my digital watch now?" He wound his eyes desperately around in Ford's direction.
"Ford," he said, "you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
Again came the voice.
"Two to the power of seventy-five thousand to one against and falling."
Ford waddled around his pond in a furious circle.
"Hey who are you?" he quacked. "Where are you? What's going on and is there any way of stopping it?"
"Please relax," said the voice pleasantly, like a stewardess in an airliner with only one wing and two engines, one of which is on fire, "you are perfectly safe."
"But that's not the point!" raged Ford. "The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!"
"It's all right, I've got them back now," said Arthur.
"Two to the power of fifty thousand to one against and falling," said the voice.
"Admittedly," said Arthur, "they're longer than I usually like them, but...."

Now to avoid copyright trouble, the following excerpts were written by Douglas Adams, who is a superb writer, and typed up by me, so don't go on hoping you'll find any more excerpts out on the 'net, although I don't doubt I'll have quite a few on my site when I get that going.

About the Sevenwaters Trilogy, which I wasn't able to get around to earlier, it takes place in Ireland, about Irish people. (wow) It's really good though, the fighting and everything, it's like a Redwall book from a female point of view. And all the characters have something in common with each other, even though at the beginning it seems they don't. And they are all described /wonderfully/, and all have clear, distinct personalities. It has good suspense as well.  
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Ruatine

I laughed so hard at the bypass paragraph and the penguin paragraph. There really is some great stuff in The Hitchhiker "Trilogy." Pokeymanns, I recommend reading it. To see if you might like it you can go to amazon.com and read 6 pages of the first chapter. That's how I finally decided if I wanted to read it or not.  
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

Kazaar

I voted LOTR because, it well is the only one I have been reading heh, I am a very slow reader heh.Never gonna finish reading any novel anytime soon.

pokeymanns

I read up to the part where the Earth was destroyed.  I stopped and cried.  It was terrible.  I couldn't live if that happened.  I had to stop reading it.  It made me too depressed.
~Pokeymanns

Ruatine

QuoteI read up to the part where the Earth was destroyed. I stopped and cried. It was terrible. I couldn't live if that happened.

*snickers* Duh... if Earth was destroyed none of us would live.  :rolleyes:
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

The Lady Shael

Quote from: Teufel
QuoteI read up to the part where the Earth was destroyed. I stopped and cried. It was terrible. I couldn't live if that happened.

*snickers* Duh... if Earth was destroyed none of us would live.  :rolleyes:
ROFL!! True that....

It's just humor, it's not meant to be serious, it was irony, you know, they were demolishing Arthur Dent's house for a bypass, then they demolished the Earth for a bypass...I thought it was funny.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

pokeymanns

I didn't.  I thought it was sad.  What I meant to say was that if it was destroyed and I was in Arthur's place I wouldn't be able to live.
~Pokeymanns