Book series poll....

Started by The Lady Shael, June 20, 2003, 01:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

Just curious. Some of you may know my site the Redwall Database....well, that's only one slice of the pie. I'm also making a Harry Potter Database, Artemis Fowl Database, LOTR Database, etc, etc, everything you see in the poll. The reason I didn't put an "Other" choice is that I WANT you to pick one of those. This way, if you want to recommend one to my site(The Database Archives), you'll be FORCED to post it, instead of just selecting "Other" and forgetting about it, and hoping I will too.

So there.

I'm definitely doing the Hitchhiker series, and the Sevenwaters Trilogy, but I'm not too sure about Artemis Fowl and LOTR. Any other suggestions, post them here. And please not Terry Brooks, I don't want to force myself to read all those books, I've already tried.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Ruatine

I'm glad you're doing the Hitchhiker's series. I'm just about half way through Life, the Universe and Everything. The books amuse me quite a bit, and are more stimulating than anything I've read in quite some time (barring Ender's Game). However, I pick LOTR as the best book series that was ever written. If you're a scholar of the Bible at all, you can see the influence Tolkien's Christianity had on his writings. That's one of the things that makes it very intersting to me, besides having a great plot. The way he ended the books was sheer genius, even though it made me rather sad. It was yet another moral in the story: Evilness leaves its mark even if you defeat it. I could go on and on (espcially since I'm feeling so chatty today), but I'll just leave you with that. Good luck on the databases!

"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

Cindarin

Lotr. I don't really know why I even voted let alone why i'm still on the forums -.-
"Without love life has no meaning." - Joseph Nicholas

"Looks are just an added bonus." - Joseph Nicholas

"Meine Liebe, Mein Leben, Meine Welt." - Joseph Nicholas

user posted image

windhound

I chose "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books"
I'm almost through the, er, trilogy, which just happens to be about, what, 6 books long?  I think the only one I havent read yet is Salmon of a Doubt, kewl books...

The Artimus Fowl books are good too though, there are 3 so far, and I thought that each was fairly good,
I've never read any of the LOTR books, so...  I may eventually, maybe...  and I've never even heard of the Sevenwaters Trilogy, if it's good I might look into it...  
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

TR Shadow

I'm a Hitchhikers fan.  I've read all the books in the series and seen the movie.  I used to like LOTR too, but I got out of it.

Almkman

Someone actually put Artemis Fowl.I want other for Forgotten Realms.
Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
     And songs to Alma Mater raise
  While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
   Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
  Time and change will surely show
   How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

Ashyra Nightwing

I like Redwall and LOTR, but I voted for Redwall.

Brock

I voted for Redwall.  Eventually I'll probably get around to reading the Hitchhikers books.  I think my dad has one or two of them.  I haven't read Artemis Fowl but I heard it's good.
I like Chicken, I like Liver, Meow Mix,Meow Mix, Please Deliver!

The Lady Shael

Wow. People actually voted, and then voiced their opinions. I think I'm going to avoid putting an "other" choice on ALL of my polls from now on.

I'm already a Hitchhiker fan, even though I've only read the first one and I'm halfway through the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, but I now own the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which contains all five books, and a bonus one. (Young Zaphod plays it Safe) I was going to buy the Salmon of Doubt, but I decided to buy The Angel's Command instead. (which is a FANTASTIC book, I'm glad I chose it, and the cover is WAY better than our usual Redwall American covers, go out and READ IT!) I also bought the third Artemis Fowl book as well, I've read the first chapter, and it sounds good, although my little sis is halfway through and stopped because she said it's too sad. Hmph.

The Sevenwaters Trilogy is a much lesser known trio of books. (author is Juliet Marillier) They really are great books, although I'm willing to bet the female population here will enjoy them more. Er, they're also rated around R-ish.  
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Cindarin

I agree with Almkman. You should have places Forgotten Realms on this pole. I mean there is no group of fantasy adventure friends like the companions of the hall. There's Drizzt, Gwenyvhar, Cattie-Brie, Bruenor, Regis, and Wulfgar. You tell me what other book series has those characters?

NOooooooooOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo~! Shiva dies in FFX. NOOOooooooooooooooo.
"Without love life has no meaning." - Joseph Nicholas

"Looks are just an added bonus." - Joseph Nicholas

"Meine Liebe, Mein Leben, Meine Welt." - Joseph Nicholas

user posted image

Almkman

What about Cadderly and Danica.Same series.
Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
     And songs to Alma Mater raise
  While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
   Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
  Time and change will surely show
   How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

Amoraq

You people are crazy who read The Hitchikers Guide. I think Harry Potter and Redwall are good but Artimis Fowl is just a little bit better I think.
~~Windclaw the Mighty~~

-Windpaw's Pack-

~Vuur Draak af~

Highist rank 1st

~~~Guroum~~~
Apollo 13, leader of the 13 round of turbo
user posted image

Ruatine

*eyes Amoraq*

And what, pray tell, is wrong with The Hitchhiker's Guide? I happen to like it... a lot.
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

pokeymanns

I like Harry Potter.  Ive never read the Hitchickers guide to the Galaxy.  What's it about?
~Pokeymanns

windhound

*pokes Amoraq*
he just doesnt appriciate the Hitchhiker's guide, I think he read the first 5 pages, which is no good, he didnt even get past the part where the narrorator was pondering the color yellow as it relates to bulldozers...

*grinneth*
The Hitchhiker's guide is a great sierries, me like greatly,
see Amazon's reviews here.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't