Series vs. Series

Started by CoolClaw, June 06, 2003, 06:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruatine

*looks around furtively*

Who are they? How do you know they are watching? Could it not be some other diabolical they that are out to get us all?

*slinks away*

~42~
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

Brock

They is they.  It's everyone on the street that you thought looked strange.  It's everyone who ever met you.  It's everyone that knows you exist.  And they are coming...
I like Chicken, I like Liver, Meow Mix,Meow Mix, Please Deliver!

Ashyra Nightwing

*thinks*

The new Harry Potter book is coming out at midnight tonight.
The shops are not open at midnight.

Strange...

windhound

"The new Harry Potter book is coming out at midnight tonight.
The shops are not open at midnight."

really?  the Barnes and Noble, Borders, and even Walmart (near me anyways) are staying open late, well, actually the walmart is already open 24 hours, but I think they are bringing in more staff...
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Ruatine

*stops trying to be paranoid because she can't pull it off*

Yea, the Barnes and Noble near my house is staying open late too. *shrugs* Not like I care. I've never read the Harry Potter books and never will.
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

windhound

"I've never read the Harry Potter books and never will"

Why?  I mean, if you dont like to read that is one thing, but, most people here like to read just a tiny bit, otherwise they probubly wouldnt be on a website based on a book sierries...  
Curious I am, HP is a good sierries in my oppinion...
*shruggeth*
mehness.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Ruatine

I'm not fond of the way magic is portrayed in the Harry Potter books. A Christian I am, and I don't like a book or books that prod children toward practising magic. There are very young kids who read the HP series. I've seen 8 and 9 year olds playing at practising quidditch. Being a Christian, I feel that it's a dangerous road for anyone to walk down but especially little children.

~42~

windhound

It's called a fad, Pokemon, Yui Gi Oh (or whatever), Lord of the Rings
You cant tell me that you havent seen little kids playin like they were pokemon, nor the same group of kids playing like they were charicters in Yui Gi Oh,
In Harry Potter there is a distinct line between good and bad, more so than most cartoons, I belive that you should atleast give them a chance, read one, try it, you may like it, like Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess (awsome book, but One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish is better  :D)

To Each His(Her) Own, people have their own preferences, if you believe somthing, that is your perogitive to do so...

Ruatine

*smiles* When it comes right down to it, I don't care for Pokemon either. Yu gi oh is only a name to me. I have no idea what it is, nor do I especially care. I'm not into TCG and the suchlike, neither do I watch TV all that much. I read the first chapter of the first book when it first came out. I don't recall what it was like, and I didn't form my opinion of it until quite some time afterward. I wouldn't mind reading it myself if it didn't seem like an endorsement of the books. Like I said, I'm not fond of books that push kids toward practising magic (or anything else that's potentially harmful). Let the kids read things like the Redwall series, which will prod them toward courage, honor, and honesty. You're quite right though, everybody has their own beliefs, and it's their own right to follow and propagate them.

(P.S. Oh, The Things You Can Think! is the best by far!  ;) )

The Cow

*battle between Redwall and harry potter,"characters on redwall side"BloodButt,BloodButt's horde."HArry Potter characters"Harry,Albus Dumbeldore"

WAHHAAHAHAHHA ME BloodButt!!!!Me stick pointy stick in you,waaahahahahahaha!!!!"harry Potter"Says the words for spell and huge stag comes out of wand tip and kills all the rats and stoats and the whatever that stuff iz,man harry potter kills redwall!!!! :angry:  
2nd Reg. Season BloodThirsty Wolves.
3rd Reg. Season ,Red Horde Of All Evil.
3rd turbo Season ,Blue Horde.
4th turbo season Red Horde Of All Evil.

Pikepaw

You not know things.  **Kills Harry with his javelin, but leaves Dumbeldore because he is nice.**  See how Harry dies so easily.  Harry Potter isn't a bad series, pretty good in some parts, it is just we know that Redwall is way better than it.
Never muck with me because I'm a Canadian mercenary
Pikepaw has returned! He has become more evil! But I am back, to rule all and destroy the Earth!
If you knock me down, I'll get back up and knock you down, then I'll chase you with my torch and pitchfork and big club thingy.
In the words of the wise barbeast: "Yer true friends stick up fer ya! Yer best pals pay fer ya!" After this, the barbeast fell over drunk, after his last words of wisedom.

CoolClaw

You know Teufel if Harry Potter is pushing Kids towards practicing magic (which I don't see how since it is not real)  Than Can't Redwall push kids toward using weapons to hurt people like in the books?
"Ever since using Strongbad's Ab- Abber 2000, the ladies have been all up ons"
-Strongsad

Lend me some sugar, I am your neigbor!

Whats cooler than bein cool? ICE COLD!
Shake it like a Polroid Picture!

Ruatine

*smiles* Redwall actually promotes peace, honor, and fighting for what's right. Hurting people unnecessarily is decried in the books. The good characters use weapons to help people in distress and gain peace.

Boiled down: There's a right way and a wrong way to use force, but I happen to believe there is no right way to use "magic." I know quidditch isn't real, but there are other forms of "magic" in the world that are quite real. Kids who practise quidditch when they're 8 would probably be more likely to practise white magic when they're 13 and black magic when they're 18.

Like I said before, everyone has their own beliefs. These happen to be mine. You have your own, as does everyone else on this board. I've said my say. I'm not going to fill these forums up with my religious opinions.

RazorClaw

Quote from: TeufelI'm not fond of the way magic is portrayed in the Harry Potter books. A Christian I am, and I don't like a book or books that prod children toward practising magic. There are very young kids who read the HP series. I've seen 8 and 9 year olds playing at practising quidditch. Being a Christian, I feel that it's a dangerous road for anyone to walk down but especially little children.

~42~
HP doesn't in any way provoke the practice of magic. Guess what, there are people who did that with LOTR, Pokemon, Redwall, and a whole bunch of other hit series of books, games, and TV Shows. Magic is not real. There are miracles, (if you're christian) but magic is irrelivant to reality. And in RWL, the beasts of the Abbey don't hurt anyone unneccisarily, but what if people think that Verago or Tsarmina is cool? What then? They may pretend to do gruesome people, but unless they were mentally challenged from the start, they are not going to kill people.

Wapekip

I like both Harry Potter and Redwall, but Redwall is way better.  **Snickers**  Look at my signature.  
I am Pikepaw, my name is Pikepaw spelled backwards.
See that weasel in my avatar, I look a lot like him, almost like twins.