Who cares what you're labeled as?

Started by Peace Alliance, May 25, 2003, 08:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peace Alliance

It seems there are a lot of polls and questions about "am i an oldbie" or "who is the worst newb". Well, who really cares? Does it matter that much if people think you're an oldbie?

Veranor

#127.0.0.1 rovl.org

Blackeyes

I think it is a big factor , because if we didn't know who were the newer people on here and who were the older we wouldn't know if they new what you would be talking about . And they could be easily confused about some of the topics we talk about ...therefore I chose Yes .
Dark days are coming my friends....... oh yes we are in trouble....

Dead Eye

I like to gain respect from everyone, even if they are seeing me as a typing machine. I want respect and a good rep from everyone, including online friends. So I voted yes. Maybe because I am a loser.
Dead Eye Trueflight of the Seas, Servent to the Emperor and Empress of the Northlands<br><br><a href='http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha' target='_blank'>http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha</a><br><br>Spokesperson for The winter clan. <br><br>Part of the ROC since some time in October-Nov

Peace Alliance

how come its so important to you what other people think? If it were real life, don't people normally tell you not to care what other people think of you? Its like all those mainstream pop kids, they try SOOO hard to be cool while others dont really care if they have "COOL" lageled on they're forehead.

TR Shadow

I personally don't care.  Many people could tell that when I was fighting to keep my position as a newbie.

Dead Eye

It's not that I am trying to be cool(I am not in school, I am medium) I just want people to respect me as an induvual. Now, if I talked like this

Yo u grls and guz waz go1n 0n. nm jc foo.

It would make me look bad and no one would respect me!
Dead Eye Trueflight of the Seas, Servent to the Emperor and Empress of the Northlands<br><br><a href='http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha' target='_blank'>http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha</a><br><br>Spokesperson for The winter clan. <br><br>Part of the ROC since some time in October-Nov

Peace Alliance

no, i didn't mean you were trying to be cool. Trying to be cool was just an example, in this case its more like trying to be ab oldbie, or trying to be the guy everyone on the forums like.

You're respected because people read you're posts and learn to like you, not because you have a title.

Beem

I honestly don't care what people think of me.  Well, unless they hate me, then I get all sad and wonder why.  As far as the whole labeling of age, I couldn't care less.  So long as I am having fun, and I am not treading on anyone elses toes, I am fine.  Right now it is almost midnight, and I am tired, so this post is probably full of errors of all sorts of hidiousness.  So to you grammar and spelling buzzards, I say peck away!  *Dances off on magic clouds of skittle dreams.*

RWL: Skittles #17
Turbo: Kagewa no #9
Mini title: ?Aloof From all Grammatical Rules.?
"When the Emperor looks naked, the Emperor is naked."
"Let's all dance around under the rainbow until we get brutally assaulted with Skittles."

Holby

James Cagney once said after receiving on Oscar: "You can only be as good as the other fella thinks you are- or as bad."
But the labelling of "newbies", "oldbies", and "middlebies" is just stupid.
I care if someone dislikes me, but this class thing is pathetic.
The hard thing I find, is telling the complete truth and being blunt. You see, I get annnoyed at things I see sometimes that I'd like to attack. But I don't, (if I can help it) because it hurts people. Giving titles and calling names can really offend and dishearten others. That, or give them a swelled head. Both are not good.
Be subtle in correcting people, and don't make them look bad. Everyone wants fit in, and it's hard if you're being called a newb or it's been stated your spelling is pathetic.
RESPECT YOUR FELLOW FORUM GOERS!
I will not deleted this

Blackeyes

Even though I voted Yes , that was (sorry if it's a swear word) [Edit] well said ... I would if I could , change my vote .

[Edit, Just sticking to the rules. If you think it could be one, don't use it]
Dark days are coming my friends....... oh yes we are in trouble....

Ruatine

:rolleyes: Since when is that four letter word not a swear?

Moving on, I don't care what people label me as. I strive to be an individualistic and unique person both online and in the real world. I wouldn't be able to do that if I'm constantly looking for approval from people. Of course, it's nice to be liked--even loved--by everyone, but that's usually not a feasible thing because there's always going to be somebody who either rubs you the wrong way or you rub the wrong way.

Holbs, I totally agree with you. I try not to label people, or correct anyone in a harsh way. It's only when someone has posted something that really looks bad that I feel an urge to clean it up, but 99% of the time I refrain.  
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

Pikepaw

I just like knowing who I can help and who can help me by these classes so I voted yes.
Never muck with me because I'm a Canadian mercenary
Pikepaw has returned! He has become more evil! But I am back, to rule all and destroy the Earth!
If you knock me down, I'll get back up and knock you down, then I'll chase you with my torch and pitchfork and big club thingy.
In the words of the wise barbeast: "Yer true friends stick up fer ya! Yer best pals pay fer ya!" After this, the barbeast fell over drunk, after his last words of wisedom.

Ashyra Nightwing

I don't really mind. It's strange for me to be an oldbie, I've never seemed to fit in anywhere else...
I don't mind the newbs, unless they're insulting me.

RazorClaw

Quote from: Peace Alliancehow come its so important to you what other people think? If it were real life, don't people normally tell you not to care what other people think of you? Its like all those mainstream pop kids, they try SOOO hard to be cool while others dont really care if they have "COOL" lageled on they're forehead.
Peace Alliance, you just don't get it. It's not being "cool", "hip", or "with-it", being labeled as an oldbie is a sign of respect from others, a sign of an experienced and wholesome forum-person. The fact is, if you go on about how it's just trying to be cool, then you're obviously angry because for you it is an unreachable class.