The Christian corner

Started by Wyanor, May 09, 2013, 03:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

Raggon... I'm not sure you even understood my post.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Camaclue

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II on November 12, 2012, 09:10:32 PM
ey M8 ur cheeky i swear ill wreck ur [poop]

Raggon

Well then Volkov, enlighten me on the meaning of your post, because I do not know what you are trying to say.
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Gen. Volkov

I am trying to say that Hell is not mentioned in the Bible, and the uses of the word Hades, Gehenna, Sheol, and Tartarus in the Bible do not mean "Hell", as in the place of fire and torment you go too when you die, as is classically thought of by Christians, even though they are commonly translated as such. That is not biblical at all, but rather an invention of the Catholic Church.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Genevieve

So what are the phrases "eternal punishment", "the second death - the lake of fire", and the thing about the evil being thrown into the fiery furnace that Raggon quoted in reference to if it is not Hell?

Camaclue

...hell?
*gets ravaged by thrown books*

Firetooth

Quote from: Genevieve on May 17, 2013, 07:18:36 AM
So what are the phrases "eternal punishment", "the second death - the lake of fire", and the thing about the evil being thrown into the fiery furnace that Raggon quoted in reference to if it is not Hell?
It's all interpretive. Getting thrown into a lake of fire doesn't mean eternal punishment, and "eternal punishment" can easily be interpreted as annihilation. With the whole "raising from the dead thing," the point is life and death now are only temporary, as we all rise for judgement or w/e, I don't exactly remember. That means if we die now, that is not proper punishment as it is not eternal. Hence, getting judged for being wicked results in death with no chance of a resurrection, hence "eternal punishment" is permanent death, instead of being resurrected and getting to live forever.

That is how I was taught to interpret those scriptures when I was young and still believed all this stuff.  Just to cast some more light on the matter. Hades/Sheol are also not synonymous with Gehenna, though the church translates them to mean the same thing: hell. Hades/Sheol are not associated with a fiery death.

Basically, these passages are seen as metaphorical, and the "hell" interpretation was invented by the church to scare people into piety and donations.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Genevieve

But there are passages with fiery imagery associated with evil people after their death. It's a bit silly to say that Hell is not mentioned in the bible because that exact word nor an exact translation of what it currently means is not there. What we know as "Hell" - a fiery place where evil people go after they die as punishment, is definitely discussed in the bible.

Of course the passages passages are metaphorical, the whole thing is metaphorical.

Firetooth

That's because fire can symbolise eternal death. It is equally silly to say hell is mentioned in the bible just because the world translation supports the interpretation. It is not explicitly stated, therefore it is 100% interpretation on either side of the debate. A fiery place where evil people go to die can have a completely different meaning based on interpretation: eternal death, or eternal torture. Both are forms of punishment, and both are eternal. See the problem here?

I also would not bother trying to deny the idea of hell is promoted by the church, with the scriptural support exaggerated as mentioned above, as a scare tactic. That much is obvious.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Firetooth

Also why does nobody use UMD anymore? ???

Genevieve

Because volkov is less likely to write walls of grumpus text in the spa room.

Camaclue

also, this is unbelievably silly

Gen. Volkov

QuoteSo what are the phrases "eternal punishment", "the second death - the lake of fire", and the thing about the evil being thrown into the fiery furnace that Raggon quoted in reference to if it is not Hell?

They are literal translations. Sheol and Gehenna were literally places where people were physically burned. The "eternal punishment" and the "second death" simply refers to the soul not going to heaven. Hades and Tartarus were places of incarceration of the soul. Hell isn't mentioned in the Bible, it's a case of people in modern times not understanding the world the Hebrews of 2000 years ago lived in, plus the invention of a fiery place of torment by the Catholic church.

Genevieve

You're telling me churches just make stuff up?

Shadow

are you really surprised?
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..