Ecce tuus dominus!

Started by Drakus, October 29, 2012, 10:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krowdon

I really want to learn latin, but no one offers it around here. Virtual School might but I hated virtual school.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Shadow

What's the point of learning Latin?
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Ungatt Trunn II

Because then you could speak latin
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Genevieve

Firetooth

Other people who speak latin? I don't think this line of questioning is going anywhere. :P
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Ungatt Trunn II

You could always mumble quietly to yourself in Latin, that'll make you all sorts of friends.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Drakus

It helps your vocabulary and the SATs.
meow

stormsight

SEMPER PARATUS

thats all.
and it hits like a brick to the back of your head. like, goodbye, five times.
one for each finger.
and you say,
"my, my, the ways i've changed since then--the ways i've changed."
and all i ever say is,
"i'm tired."

Juska

If you know Latin is much easier to read any romance language.
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Kilkenne

Durza

Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Raggon

Yes, many English words come from Latin, but you could probably just as easily study your English vocab.
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Gen. Volkov

Quotesupposedly taking Latin helps you with the vocab on the SAT

Er... how?

You know what helped me with vocab? Reading. A lot. I scored a 700 on my SAT and a 760 on my GRE in the English section, mostly because I read a lot.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Ruddertail

I scored an 800 on the SAT reading. I read a lot. I also took Latin for two years. We report, you decide.

@Volk - it's supposed to help because of the vocabulary similarities; you'll run into Latin words for which you haven't seen the English words, or remember the definitions of the English words because you remember what the Latin means. But I'd agree, just reading a lot, especially older fiction and various scholarly type works with bigger vocabulary, can probably be just as useful.

As to why take Latin?
1: It's cool. The language of the Romans, and all that.
2: It's beautiful. I just like the sound of the language.
3: You have to take a language anyhow, and non of the others really appeals. You don't expect to be in a situation where you'll use a second language practically.
4: You're interested in classical or medieval culture, thought, or history, either as profession or a hobby. You'll use a second language practically, and Latin is that language.
5: One of the other reasons and/or you want to learn French, Spanish, and Italian one day. You figure you're best off starting with the foundation and working up from there.

That's all I can really come up with off the top of my head.
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Kilkenne

Rudderbutt come back to us. You know what I'm talking about.