Java scritpt

Started by Colonel Yuri, February 27, 2012, 04:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Yuri

i would like some one to teach me how to code in java script of turn me to a good website

Sharptooh

JavaScript is a difficult language to learn, I'd recommend learning a framework (like YUI, or jQuery) first; as JavaScript is truly a horrible language to learn and code in.

First things first, do you know HTML and CSS?

Colonel Yuri

Sharptooh

Before you even attempt to learn JavaScript you really have to know at least HTML, and preferably CSS, I can provide you with links to tutorials if you like (although please, do not use W3Schools)

And I appreciate this is a personal question that you might not want to answer, but what age are you? If I remember correctly I learned HTML and CSS around age 13/14, although it's possible to do it younger I'm sure, you just need to be dedicated.

I remember trying to teach myself JavaScript around the 13/14 mark too, needless to say it all went way over my head at the time, JavaScript is horrible programming language to try and learn if you don't already know one.

Colonel Yuri

well i think i will learn HTML...do you have any links...and i am now 14

Sharptooh

14 is old enough to learn at least HTML and CSS I would think :) it just takes some perseverance, tutorials I can recommend:

http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/12-the-basics-of-html/ - is a pretty good resource, try and learn from here if you can understand it

Alternatively, if you find that difficult to understand you can always use:
http://w3schools.com/html/default.asp

W3Schools isn't the best website to learn from (I learnt from it, but that was before I knew better) but it does word it in what I think to be a really to understand way.

I'd learn HTML properly before moving onto CSS, you can do some really cool things with CSS, but it's best you learn HTML really well before moving on (even though HTML might seem boring to begin with, it gets more exiting, trust me)

If you ever have any questions about this stuff, feel free to message me or just start another topic, I'm happy to answer questions :)

Hope that all made sense!

Colonel Yuri

thanks i will try it out

Sharptooh

Let me know how it goes :)

It isn't for everyone, but I definitely enjoyed learning it at a young age - not only has doing so lead to my first job, but likely to my career path

Colonel Yuri

what can you do with html

Neobaron

Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Neobaron on February 27, 2012, 04:51:21 PM
Get angry at IE.

LOL

To be fair, I don't do IE6 fixes anymore, that's a huge chunk of fixing time gone right there!

Quote from: Colonel Yuri on February 27, 2012, 04:50:48 PM
what can you do with html

Essentially describe how the website is structured, CSS describes how it looks (read - shiny stuff)

I wouldn't get too exited about the first few HTML tutorials, you'll probably have high expectations, unfortunately you can't learn to make an uber shiny ultra website in under a week, it takes time.

Persevere for a few weeks / months, and you can then make uber shiny ultra website

Colonel Yuri

Sharptooh

A website like this one would take a very long time to learn to make, even now I'm only just reaching the level where I could make something like a forum / the RWL game, and I've been at this for about 4 years!

Colonel Yuri

Sharptooh

The code behind the forums and game are pretty interesting, but you need to learn HTML and CSS before you can even start to understand the basics of it ;)