Advice

Started by Shadow, January 29, 2012, 07:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloud

I got it a long time ago Shadow, just can't do it all by myself. I also can't run many turns with limited cash/food.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Shadow

looks like you might not have to, he seems to have dropped himself
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

cloud

Quote from: Shadow on February 28, 2012, 08:32:36 PM
looks like you might not have to, he seems to have dropped himself

or equally distributed NW.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

The Obliterator

I just had my first run out of protection and i must say im pleasantly surprised at how well it went.

Im playin indy and i thought from what everyone had said that it would be horrible but it actually seems very much like it used to be.
You just gotta juggle troops, but you had to do that anyway. The only problem i have had so far is with food but im assuming that it will even out once i find what ratio of barracks to foragers to use :)

But yeah i must very good job shadow from what iv seen it looks awsome and i look forward to playing more :D
Watching people fight is fun...
...but getting involved is so much better

Shadow

the trouble you are having is because food output comes from workers through tax, and your tax is 10%. Ramp that up higher and you should be fine.

The Obliterator

Ah i see but will that make my maximum lower health lower?

And how high can you take the tax level

Shadow

You can take it to 70%, but you shouldn't. 42% gives you the most resource output, but it will cut down your population and make your barracks less effective since they recruit from your workers. For an indier I recommend having it around 30%. Certainly there is never any reason to have it below 20%.

While it will take your max health down, you can use the "heal" buff in buff turns to heal up to 100% regardless of tax rate, so as long as you are careful it won't interfere with things.

The Obliterator

Ah i see.
Im still used to having it always set at 10% lol.
Mk ill try that and see how it works out for me. :D

Shadow

A few tips based on people's run habits this round:

1) Watch your health! I cannot stress this enough. Use the heal buff to heal fully before producing anything, because health affects food and cash output.
2) Towers are very important! Putting half your land on towers can easily double the defensive power of your army.
3) Weasels are underrated as an attacking unit. A rat with +25% offense, versus someone with a negative bonus to defense, means weasels have an effective OP:DP of 3.75:4.25, which is not that bad - you can break with only slightly more than your opponent has. Also, weasels have 3 offense and 5 defense, so 8 total, which is the same total as stoats, but are usually half the price! And because towers now allow your weasels to defend your other troop types, when in doubt about what to buy to maximize your defensive power, build towers and buy weasels. You can't go wrong.
4) Don't forget your shields. Murder will wreck your army in short order if your shields are down, especially since murders don't contribute to maxxing.

Shadow

Double posting because I can.

Did you know that you gain 7% of built land when you break someone, but you gain 10% of their free land? This is why it always seems that you get so much so quickly from the land farm. That is, you get 40% more free land than built land.

The sabotage spell (unshielded) deconstructs 7% of their buildings. 10 sabotages unbiulds half their land, and doesn't count toward maxxing. Which means that if you cast 10 sabotages and then attack, you will on average get 20% more land from then in your land attacks. Combine with drive and you get 32% more land than normal.

Nobody uses sabotage because it is usually thought of as only doing damage without benefit to the attacker, but it is extremely useful beyond messing up an enemy run.

Firetooth

Could I please get some advice on how to best food mass as a ferret?
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Shadow

Mostly foragers with some tents mixed in, 20% huts as usual. 42% tax, use the worker buff immediately after attacking to fill up your workers quickly, then use the food income buff. Make sure you never buff turns at less than 100% health. Use weasels or rats for your troop, since they don't take much cash so you can keep eco settings on 90% food. Sell on the public market and use proceeds to buy defenses. Don't forget camps when buying out mercs.

Firetooth

Many thanks, I shall try that out tomorrow.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

The Obliterator

How do towers work?

Do they act as troops or do you actually have to have troops for them to work properly.

Shadow

they allow some of all four types of troops to defend against single troop attacks. So when you have towers, some of your weasels, stoats, and skiffs, will defend against guerilla strikes, for example. See the status page - the intidivual defenses listed take into account this effect. Note that they also provide 200 DP each (as long as you have at least 100 rats per tower) and when attacked with standard, this is all they do, there is no defense sharing between stacks.