Advice

Started by Shadow, January 29, 2012, 07:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Quote from: Shadow on February 04, 2012, 02:53:31 PM
another tip of the day

you should never overestimate the power of an opponent's army based on their net. In 3.0, you have a lot of workers, and they are worth 3 networth each! Thus, a significant chunk of  everyone's net is their worker force, which means that on average, your army in 3.0 will be quite a bit weaker than the army that would have been associated with the equivalent amount of networth in the old code.

I am going to reiterate this since I think it was too subtle for people: here is the sort of analysis you can do.

Let's take the example of Sevs. Land is 500 net per acres, cities are 750,000 net each, and workers are 3 net each. Leaders are 2 net each and we can assume he has around 20 leaders per acres. We can assume roughly 50 workers per acre as a rough estimate.

That means that

111,477,500 net is land
18,750,000 net is cities
~30,000,000 net is workers
~5,000,000 is leaders

This leave, currently, 124 million net to be accounted for by army and resources, which we can't know without an espy. Let's assume he has only 24 million net in resources to be generous.

This means that he has at most 100 million in in actual army, spread over all 4 troop types in some way. Which means that if someone on low land and resources had say, 50 million networth in a single troop stack, there probably have a pretty good chance of breaking him even though they only have a fifth of his net. And so taking potshots is probably not a bad idea even when you think you are far too low to be able to do it.

There was a term back in the old days of RWL: "land fat". People who have less than 1000 net per acre of land, or thereabouts, usually have a pretty weak defense compared to other people in their networth range, and are often worth taking shots at even if they have net that is quite high.

(I didn't use any info here that wasn't public already, so don't be complaining about  me using admin powers or anything. I make no claims that my estimate of his leaders or workers are at all accurate, they are just reasonable order of magnitude estimates)
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

cloud

unless sevz demonlished his land at the end of his run and made ~75% towers which would inately double his defenses.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Shadow

not really. towers are only as strong as the army behind them, now.

EDIT: heh, looks like Revelation got the hint before I typed this ^_^

cloud

Quote from: Shadow on February 07, 2012, 01:15:26 PM

That's what I meant. It seems that with enough towers you can add at least double your army's defense. With about 20k towers that's what I've been doing every run.

Also what did Rev do? I do see any significant change.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Shadow

he broke for land with only 20% of sevs net. Only once, but it shows the idea at least.

Peace Alliance

Quote from: cloud on February 07, 2012, 01:20:47 PM
Quote from: Shadow on February 07, 2012, 01:15:26 PM

That's what I meant. It seems that with enough towers you can add at least double your army's defense. With about 20k towers that's what I've been doing every run.

Also what did Rev do? I do see any significant change.
But this is sort of hard to do in 1 run. you have to spend the last 100 turns building towers while maintaining your army. That is going to put you at a small disadvantage to others. The point of this is to make defense possible, but challenging.

cloud

Quote from: Peace Alliance on February 07, 2012, 09:17:46 PMBut this is sort of hard to do in 1 run. you have to spend the last 100 turns building towers while maintaining your army. That is going to put you at a small disadvantage to others. The point of this is to make defense possible, but challenging.

Ah, but that's where staying 1 step ahead of the competition comes into play. Before I run I market all the troops except those that I need to grab land. I take as much land as is profitable, sell off my remaining troops and make cash. The last ~60 turns I spend demonlishing anything that isn't huts and turning it into towers. Then I use the money I made from the market + what I made this run to buy up a sizeable defense. Therefore as long as I can keep making money off the market my NW will keep increases and additionally making it harder to take my land.
-Kilk

Peace Alliance

It's a good strat, but it's not without counter-strats ;)

Peace Alliance

The land farm has created it's own clan called the Weasel Scouts of Redwall.

You should set it to war if you need to attack it for more land then usual.

Enjoy.

cloud

Quote from: Peace Alliance on February 09, 2012, 02:23:59 PM
The land farm has created it's own clan called the Weasel Scouts of Redwall.

You should set it to war if you need to attack it for more land then usual.

Enjoy.

Well now there is at least an incentive to clan up, for the time being anyways.
-Kilk

Peace Alliance

Ya that's why I like most about this solution.

Raggon

Yes! I have been waiting for this! :)
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Shadow

tip of the day:

throw sacks or pillages around, even against people with high net. Might get lucky and find that that net is mostly resources.

Durza

Seems rather obvious.
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Peace Alliance

Shadow is watching things from above, most of his advice is based on his observations of how people are playing.